Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wrong Details on NIP!
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
pk237776
Hi,

I have received a NIP for doing 36mph in a 30mph zone on 17/01/2014 at 12:34 near Cardiff in Wales. On the 17/01/2014 I was in Wolverhampton all day and as I work in a secure building, we have to biometric in and out of the building. I have a screenshot showing that I entered work and 09:15 and left at 17:00. I also have dozens of witnesses who would confirm that I was in Wolverhampton on this day. I was in Wales on the previous day but was again in an all day meeting from 09:00 to 17:00 and the time the incident was at 12:00? Also, I haven't been to the location in question nor can I remember speeding?! All in all it looks like a mistake. I am aware that I need to send a letter detailing all of this information. Should I do this immediately or hang fire for a bit?
AFCNEAL
Why not write/email and ask for an image to 'assist in driver identification' and thus see if it's actually your car, or the reg has been misread. Keep an eye on the time though as the 28 day response 'clock' doesn't stop............
Jlc
Asking for the photo might clear up the issue - there's some possibilities but let's not explore those right now.

If the vehicle was not at the given location/time then the response to the s172 request should be answered by attaching a letter to the form stating that the vehicle was parked up at location XXX and get (free) proof of postage.

Ensure 14 days have passed from the date of offence.
kommando
Haven't there been 2 recent welsh camera threads where the time/date was incorrect.
AFCNEAL
QUOTE (kommando @ Thu, 30 Jan 2014 - 11:57) *
Haven't there been 2 recent welsh camera threads where the time/date was incorrect.

Yes, but the OP says s/he has never been to the location referenced?
pk237776
QUOTE (Jlc @ Thu, 30 Jan 2014 - 11:17) *

Just to clarify. Are you saying do not send my reply letter until 14 days after 17/01/2014 (date of alleged offence)?
AFCNEAL
QUOTE (pk237776 @ Thu, 30 Jan 2014 - 12:38) *

Just to clarify. Are you saying do not send my reply letter until 14 days after 17/01/2014 (date of alleged offence)?

It doesn't really matter if you have never been to the location?.................
Jlc

Yes...

...but that's tomorrow anyway.
pk237776
QUOTE (Jlc @ Thu, 30 Jan 2014 - 13:37) *

Yes...

...but that's tomorrow anyway.

Good point, well made! Thanks for your help!
sgtdixie
I would suggest NOT asking for a photo. After all if your vehicle couldn't have been there you don't need help in deciding who was driving. Asking for the photo then saying it's not your car will immediately look suspicious.

Simply attach a letter explaining the vehicle has never been there and exactly where it was (and witness details if possible) at the time of the offence.

They should check the VRM but if they think it is still the right one they will ask you for photos of your vehicle to compare with their image/video. If you have asked for and been sent an image they may well conclude that you want it in order to make sure the 2 vehicles look different.

The golden rule is that as you are an innocent man you cooperate. Put up any barriers and it will look like a wrong 'un.
Mattd
It seems somewhat strange considering the OP was actually in Wales the day before ....I can imagine that his details may have got transposed from one NIP to another in the processing ?
Jlc
QUOTE (Mattd @ Thu, 30 Jan 2014 - 16:57) *
It seems somewhat strange considering the OP was actually in Wales the day before ....I can imagine that his details may have got transposed from one NIP to another in the processing ?

Possibly but they will be outside the 14 days to correct it.
pk237776
Hi,

Just to let you all know, I rang up and got an email address for South Wales Police rather than sending a letter. I stated my case explaining that my car was not in the country on the date of the alleged offence and I had an email back an hour later apologising that it was an administrative error and that the case was dropped. Thanks for all of your help!
CuriousOrange
Don't lose the email.
Gan
To play safe, return the form with a copy of the email stapled to it
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.