Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Driving licence renewal
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Korting
Its time to renew my driving licence and the DVLA tell me on the form that the want both parts of the old driving licence back.

The form then says that it will take around 3 weeks to get your new licence.

so my question: What does one do if stopped and asked to produce your licence within 7 day?

Am i committing an offence if I cant produce because of the DVLA?
StuartBu
QUOTE (Michael 194 @ Fri, 10 Jan 2014 - 23:20) *
Its time to renew my driving licence and the DVLA tell me on the form that the want both parts of the old driving licence back.

The form then says that it will take around 3 weeks to get your new licence.

so my question: What does one do if stopped and asked to produce your licence within 7 day?

Am i committing an offence if I cant produce because of the DVLA?

Why is it being renewed?some can be done online with restrictions eg changes in your appearance .. And you return the old one later.
Korting
The licence is up for renewal after 10 years. (photocard licence)

I did try and apply online but it was rejected and they sent me a paper application.
Landshark
Explain that your licence is away for renewal and therefore might not be back in time. DVLA licence checks can now be completed at the roadside, so fewer producers are given out. Many forces hand out traffic offence reports at the roadside rather than FPN, so again no need at that point to produce within 7 days.
If for some reason you had to produce, contact DVLA explain (they might see if they can speed it up!!!!) and get a ref number. Go to the police station and explain why you cannot produce along with the DVLA, the counter staff note all this down and gets forwarded to officer, they can then decide on what to do. If you licence then turns up take it in and produce it.
glasgow_bhoy
You would have a defence to not producing- highly unlikely it would even get as far as court in the circumstances though, which would be backed up with the dates written on your license.
Korting
Thank you all for your help
johnb87
My parents applied for a renewal by post, and got it within a week.

I think the 3 weeks is just a leeway.
jdh
Did mine via the Post Office fast checking process (£4.50 and they give you a receipt that serves as your licence in the mean time) on a Wednesday afternoon and received the licence proper on the Saturday morning. Considering it involved both the PO and DVLA I was surprised it worked so well. http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=85834
sgtdixie
OP

This happens all the time. If stopped or you get an NIP simply tell them where your licence is. If you cannot accept an FPN because of it magistrates guidelines say that provided you plead guilty the penalty should be at the same level as an FPN. Some courts have been known to ignore this, some simply give the same points and fine but add on victim surcharge and some will reduce the fine so that the victim surcharge added on comes to £100.

Key thing is don't panic. It is usually a lot quicker than the form says.
Gan
I had to do mine recently and it was only a few days

If you use the Post Office fast service they send the information electronically
Only reason I didn't was that I'd just spent £5 on some decent photos that would be on official documents for the next ten years

Take copies of your photocard and paper counterpart so you can at least present something if stopped

As you've probably read, it's not an offence to drive after your photocard's expired if DVLA has received the application

I only had a problem because they sent the reminder a couple of months before it was due and I forgot about it until the last minute
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.