Full Version: [NIP Wizard] Wrong date on NIP
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
bikeabc123
NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? -
Date of the offence: - December 2013
Date of the NIP: - 5 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 11 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - Cowbridge Road, Talbot Green
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - Not known
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? -
How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - The NIP states on the 07/12/13 at 14:02 speeding in my van. I did not drive my van that day and drove my wifes audi and did not go near Cowbridge road.

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - Yes
Although you are the Registered Keeper, were you also the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - Yes
Were you driving? - No
Do you know who was driving? - No

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v3.3.2: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 00:05:43 +0000
peterguk
Where was the van that day?
StuartBu
ANOTHER post about a speeding offence allegation in Cowbridge Rd albeit slightly different circs..Have you seen this one >
http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=86515
have you driven on that road in your van ..(you might prefer not to reply to that )
Logician
Could anyone else have been driving your van?
bikeabc123
No one had use of the van that day, it was parked up outside my house (some 40 miles away), and it was my birthday so after a few afternoon drinks i was'nt driving anywhere. Yes I did see the other post about speeding on Cowbridge Road, perhaps the Speeding Camera Unit are not very competant. My only witness are my wife and son whom I was with all day, in of course a different car (not even a van).
Jlc
Perhaps the date on the camera is out. It's hard to tell how many people that camera catches but they would have had significant feedback if something was amiss.

In regards to the s172 (name the driver) request you can only answer the question posed - who was driving at the given place and time. If no-one was driving and the vehicle parked up elsewhere then that must be your response. Usual advice is to put that in a letter, staple it to the request form and get proof of postage (free from PO). 14 days will have passed since the offence so they cannot correct it should they realise a mistake.

The other option is to contact them - at this stage co-operation is the best strategy to identify the issue.

Has the vehicle been past the camera recently? (as was asked above) It's possibly a misread plate.
Gan
Agree that's your only possible response

It's not your responsibility to work out what time and date they might have meant
Don't forget to keep a copy of your reply

If you do contact them, wait until at least 14 days after any possible date when your van might have been at the location
Make a note of who you speak to

If they confirm the error, reply to the S172 anyway and refer to the details of the conversation
It saves a lot of problems later if the system doesn't have a record of a reply
bikeabc123
Yep, I kinda thought as much letter with NIP asking for photo etc, and go on from there.

AFCNEAL
QUOTE (bikeabc123 @ Tue, 31 Dec 2013 - 16:19) *
... asking for photo etc, and go on from there.

NOooooooooooo! Don't fall into the trap on the other thread. Assuming you're certain of the date on the NIP and that you're equally certain about the lack of use by ANYONE (does anyone else have access to the keys?), then answer the question as above, send 1st class, get proof of posting. End. Don't arouse suspicion with photos, calibration etc etc..............
sgtdixie
QUOTE (AFCNEAL @ Tue, 31 Dec 2013 - 16:26) *
QUOTE (bikeabc123 @ Tue, 31 Dec 2013 - 16:19) *
... asking for photo etc, and go on from there.

NOooooooooooo! Don't fall into the trap on the other thread. Assuming you're certain of the date on the NIP and that you're equally certain about the lack of use by ANYONE (does anyone else have access to the keys?), then answer the question as above, send 1st class, get proof of posting. End. Don't arouse suspicion with photos, calibration etc etc..............

Agreed. You reply to the question asked making it clear where the vehicle was. Go off at a tangent and it gets messy.

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=86515
bikeabc123
I was goiong to keep it simple i.e The van was not used that day
Gan
Plus where it was

Jlc
OP in the other thread has confirmed that the clock is out on that camera.
timbstoke
QUOTE (Jlc @ Thu, 9 Jan 2014 - 22:17) *

Fortunately, that's not this OP's problem. He should respond to the request as made.
Jlc
QUOTE (timbstoke @ Fri, 10 Jan 2014 - 10:27) *
QUOTE (Jlc @ Thu, 9 Jan 2014 - 22:17) *

Fortunately, that's not this OP's problem. He should respond to the request as made.

Indeed - I wasn't suggesting otherwise. But I suspect the CTO will be reviewing all captures made from that camera...?
welshgirl2013
If it's any help, the 'Violation number' at the bottom of the pic for camera 114 on the 04/11/13 is '11'. That could mean 11 that day? 11 since last serviced?
bikeabc123
[/img]

I never said "anything about another vehicle with number plate"

Photos ? I am not David Bailey

Still cannot complete S172 as there is no driver

Got the letter, you opinions are valued. Thanks stu
AFCNEAL
We don't know what you did say, but assuming you replied following the advice on here - on the day in question the vehicle was not in use and parked at X - write back, enclose a copy and restate?
bikeabc123
Hi this the letter i wrote

To whom it may concern,

With regards to the N.I.P for the alleged offence of exceeding 30 mph limit at 14:02 on 07/12/2013 at Cowbridge Road, Talbot Green.

On that day (my Birthday), the vehicle NR04 EAC FORD (UK) was not used that day and was parked outside my house at the above address.

That day 07/12/2013 my wife and son visited my mother in law at Bridgend hospital at lunch time (about 13:30), I left my wife there and my son and I went to Porthcawl to take the dog for a walk on the beach then to a kids party where my wife met me later and we drove home.

My problems with the NIP and the reasons I cannot fully complete it are:

1. I have never been to Cowbridge Road, Talbot Green
2. My Van was not used that day by anybody and nobody had access to it on that day.

I hope the above makes sense and you can look into this matter further and this mistake can be looked into.

AFCNEAL
I'd definitely go back immediately, enclose the letter, and point out you made no inference about the existence of another vehicle nor do have have any basis to do so. I notice you didn't say who had access to the keys or where they were?
bikeabc123
Hi my keys where in the house and my wife who has access to it was with me that day.
sgtdixie
QUOTE (bikeabc123 @ Wed, 15 Jan 2014 - 15:47) *
Hi this the letter i wrote

To whom it may concern,

With regards to the N.I.P for the alleged offence of exceeding 30 mph limit at 14:02 on 07/12/2013 at Cowbridge Road, Talbot Green.

On that day (my Birthday), the vehicle NR04 EAC FORD (UK) was not used that day and was parked outside my house at the above address.

That day 07/12/2013 my wife and son visited my mother in law at Bridgend hospital at lunch time (about 13:30), I left my wife there and my son and I went to Porthcawl to take the dog for a walk on the beach then to a kids party where my wife met me later and we drove home.

My problems with the NIP and the reasons I cannot fully complete it are:

1. I have never been to Cowbridge Road, Talbot Green
2. My Van was not used that day by anybody and nobody had access to it on that day.

I hope the above makes sense and you can look into this matter further and this mistake can be looked into.

They have done exactly what we said they would. You have 2 choices really. Cooperate and take photos of your van and say again categorically why it could not have been your vehicle; or don't cooperate and expect them to come to you.

Geography isn't my best subject but aren't the 3 places mentioned in a 20 mile or so area? This isn't as though it was in another part of the country. The Police will take some convincing it isn't your vehicle especially if the VRM is clear. A clone is highly unlikely in such close proximity to the donor vehicle. So if it is not a misread I'm afraid the onus is going to be on you to show it isn't yours.

Unfortunately your letter puts you without an alibi as it were. You say your van was at home but don't say anyone was with you at the time. So the only effective way to convince them it wasn't you is to take some good photos which they can compare to their suspect vehicle.

Hopefully this is either a misread or the wrong date. If so it will be over quite quickly.
Logician
There is of course no legal requirement for you to send photographs of your van to them, but it will be far better to co-operate and may save you having to appear in court. You do not have to be David Bailey, you just have to take pictures of the four sides of reasonable clarity, or get a friend to do it for you.
bikeabc123
Yep I should send photos of my van, and maybe ask them for a timed and dated photo of my van (it is not a common colour) for if they are wrong at source( mis-read or wrong date ) then it need not go any further. My wife and child are my only witness to this. My van was parked about 40 mins away from alledged offence.
sgtdixie
QUOTE (bikeabc123 @ Wed, 15 Jan 2014 - 16:41) *
Hi my keys where in the house and my wife who has access to it was with me that day.

That day 07/12/2013 my wife and son visited my mother in law at Bridgend hospital at lunch time (about 13:30), I left my wife there and my son and I went to Porthcawl..........

But not with you at the time of the offence as you were walking the dog it appears.
bikeabc123
Ha Ha
sgtdixie
You may find it funny but as you have identified your case to the authorities by what you have posted anomolies such as this do nothing for your credibility.
Kickaha
Having stated that you have never been to the camera location it is hardly suprising that they are investigating the possibility of a clone.
Logician
I doubt they will send you a photo from the camera, at any rate until they have your pictures; some people have tried changing the appearance of their vehicles.
bikeabc123
Thanks for all your help. It turns out it was my old van and the new keeper info had not been changed or updated at the dvla, and I having been blinded by the fact of having a speeding ticket, did not notice this derrrrrrr. Wrote and informed camera people about this and have not heard back yet but i feel this case is now closed, for me anyway. Thanks again Stu
Gan
SMH
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.