Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Proposed Red Route - Gosforth (Newcastle)
FightBack Forums > Discussion > Government Policy
aus2off
Good morning all

I was hoping to amass some input and much revered knowledge from the frequenters of this site with respects to a ridiculous proposal in my neighbourhood.

The local Council have secured funding for traffic improvements (!!) in the area and whilst some are wholly justified, others are seen as totally revenue based and nothing else. The main topic underlining all of this is cyclist safety - this then has a garnish of improved traffic flow scattered on the top.

With the recent deaths in London this has obvioulsy become a hot potato - what I cannot understand however is the proposed implementation of the red route where they have suggested.

The scheme is available to view in detail here - http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/parking-roads-...eme-funding-bid

I will keep it short (for the moment!) - would anyone have any ideas on how best to oppose such a scheme? I don't want to appear blind to the benefits of the scheme (which do exist for sure), but I fear major penalties afforded to home owners with cars in the surrounding area. For example, not even being able to pull outside ones property to unload a vehicle.

The notion of this poorly though-out scheme saddens me and assistance in forming an educated response campaign would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

S
clark_kent
I fail to see how altering the phasing of a few lights, improving junctions and installing a few cycle lanes can be seen as revenue based it will cost a fortune? The red route isn't even in consultation stage yet according to that page and it may be just peak hours so banning loading on major roads during peak hours is common all over the country so why should Newcastle be any different?
Mad Mick V
Anyone who has driven on roads controlled by this Council knows that it’s planning department hasn’t a clue about moving traffic. I once tried to drive south from the city but couldn’t get across the Tyne because of blocked roads, roadworks, diversions and other uncoordinated work.

I’ve always believed that an overstaffed and enthusiastic road traffic department needs to find work for itself and Newcastle has had that in spades for a good 30 years. Most of the gridlock in that city is down to bad planning.

If this lot has anything to do with the Gosforth proposal I am sure it will cost in the widest sense and turn out to be a fiasco.

Suggest the OP canvas the views of the haulage and delivery associations.

Mick
aus2off
Thanks Mick - good idea!

Newcastle roads are a mess, and it would be fair to say that your suggestion of idle minds might be true. I won't let this go and fear that an encroachment into red route-ism will likely hinder the area and not help it.

There are far more important issues at heart like speeding taxi's, red light jumpers etc. This is low low low priority.

roythebus
I suspect you'll find Red Routes are only applicable to the Greater London area. At a recent taxi forum in my area someone proposed making the taxi ranks a red route...I don't think they realised it takes more than a red line to make any restriction legal and enforceable.
jdh
QUOTE (roythebus @ Thu, 12 Dec 2013 - 10:35) *
I suspect you'll find Red Routes are only applicable to the Greater London area.

Or Lincolnshire, we have red routes too (although they mean something different to the London ones). Other counties have them too.
roythebus
Oh, do they actually MEAN "no stopping" in the counties?? cool.gif
STURR
Hello gosforth drivers they want to red route the high street to steal more money and make lives hell I have started opposition STURR stop the unessessary red route goup I need help face book me Daniel O'Brien Thompson STURR group please help stop this reg danny

STURR needs support we must oppose this the high street will die!

QUOTE (STURR @ Mon, 30 Dec 2013 - 11:49) *
Hello gosforth drivers they want to red route the high street to steal more money and make lives hell I have started opposition STURR stop the unessessary red route goup I need help face book me Daniel O'Brien Thompson STURR group please help stop this reg danny

STURR needs support we must oppose this the high street will die!

They want to take our human right to park outside our houses on the high street and pay permits to maybee be able to park blocks away would this happen in walker or scotswood I think not is It political?
aus2off
Just to add to Danny's last post - please see this ridiculous article neatly summarizing the carnage about to ensure!!!!!

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-...troduce-4707619

STURR
QUOTE (STURR @ Thu, 2 Jan 2014 - 13:23) *
QUOTE (aus2off @ Mon, 30 Dec 2013 - 14:57) *
Just to add to Danny's last post - please see this ridiculous article neatly summarizing the carnage about to ensure!!!!!

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-...troduce-4707619

Happy New year.500 leaflets have been dropped we have had good response against the red route.Indipendant shopkeepers have been approached and are 95% behind us.Many people are concerned about the start of roadworks in the drive central gosforth and the change in priority of traffic flow,what and see how bad this gets.It will get much worse if the red route gets a go ahead.Many people in gosforth are unaware so we must join together and support SRURR.
STURR
[quote name='aus2off' date='Tue, 10 Dec 2013 - 08:32' post='903145']
Good morning all

I was hoping to amass some input and much revered knowledge from the frequenters of this site with respects to a ridiculous proposal in my neighbourhood.

The local Council have secured funding for traffic improvements (!!) in the area and whilst some are wholly justified, others are seen as totally revenue based and nothing else. The main topic underlining all of this is cyclist safety - this then has a garnish of improved traffic flow scattered on the top.

With the recent deaths in London this has obvioulsy become a hot potato - what I cannot understand however is the proposed implementation of the red route where they have suggested.

The scheme is available to view in detail here - http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/parking-roads-...eme-funding-bid

I will keep it short (for the moment!) - would anyone have any ideas on how best to oppose such a scheme? I don't want to appear blind to the benefits of the scheme (which do exist for sure), but I fear major penalties afforded to home owners with cars in the surrounding area. For example, not even being able to pull outside ones property to unload a vehicle.

The notion of this poorly though-out scheme saddens me and assistance in forming an educated response campaign would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

S
Councils bring in RED ROUTE HIGHWAYS because they think a road is highly congested?I live on gosforh high st Newcastle the traffic is always free flowing busy yes but moving rarely stopped .So congested yes sometimes!As all roads are sometimes .Why does a sometime problem have to become a all time problem which is what this red route will be for residents and traders alike .The only thing that's getting congested here if this goes ahead are the bank accounts of Newcastle City Council.quote]
STURR
Hello Daniel from STURR here.Gosforth has had no reconsultation on the unwanted red route council appear to have there heads in the sand hoping that I'm going to quit my campaign.It ain't going to happen just like Jon higgins red plan failed in shields road Byker.U turn number 1.Lets all look forward to number 2 and flush this red poo down the loo.Save Gosforth save our shops.STURR SOS.Please support us on Facebook thanks Dan Sturr
STURR
QUOTE (STURR @ Sat, 8 Feb 2014 - 09:13) *
Hello Daniel from STURR here.Gosforth has had no reconsultation on the unwanted red route council appear to have there heads in the sand hoping that I'm going to quit my campaign.It ain't going to happen just like Jon higgins red plan failed in shields road Byker.U turn number 1.Lets all look forward to number 2 and flush this red poo down the loo.Save Gosforth save our shops.STURR SOS.Please support us on Facebook thanks Dan Sturr

Hello Daniel from STURR here from Monday 24th of February Newcastle City Council have desided to start again and get SMS surveys to count cars in the car park another waist of money as there always full and the genuine lack of space to park is the main issue.As for the Red Route madness some how the council think counting cars will make here claims hat a red route is a good thing.Reconsulation is starting again?Why waste Tim and money no one wants a red route in gosforth.Also changing no car lanes into bus lanes means you will get fined by CCTV vans a nice prelude to CCTV red route fines so if they get their way gosforth will be badly punished.Why I ask them.Stop The Red Route.Daniel Sturr

QUOTE (STURR @ Thu, 13 Feb 2014 - 13:31) *
QUOTE (STURR @ Sat, 8 Feb 2014 - 09:13) *

Hello Daniel from STURR here from Monday 24th of February Newcastle City Council have desided to start again and get SMS surveys to count cars in the car park another waist of money as there always full and the genuine lack of space to park is the main issue.As for the Red Route madness some how the council think counting cars will make here claims hat a red route is a good thing.Reconsulation is starting again?Why waste Tim and money no one wants a red route in gosforth.Also changing no car lanes into bus lanes means you will get fined by CCTV vans a nice prelude to CCTV red route fines so if they get their way gosforth will be badly punished.Why I ask them.Stop The Red Route.Daniel Sturr

As for Red Routes in areas which don't require them like gosforth it just makes all think is another way to rip off motorists!Anyone local against this please contact STURR. Thanks Daniel
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.