Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Plea To Get Speed Awareness Course?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
sicpuppy
Hi guys smile.gif

Got caught speeding on a main road that quickly goes from national limit, to 40, to 30 - I was doing 43 in the 30 by a man in a van at the bottom of the hill. Ironically, as I started decelerating (Had no idea it was there at the time as it was totally out of view)

Anyway, got the notice thing, and it said that the grounds in which i'd be offered a speed awareness course (My preference, as I dont particularly want any points on my license) was yada yada yada and on the basis I was doing between 35 and 42mph - which I am just over by a smidge at 43mph

So, true to form, I got a letter today - 3 points and £100, no offer of the course. Which I am gutted about.

My question is - is there any point in pleaing to just go on the course? Or will they flat out refuse?

If there IS a glimmer of hope, any idea what I should say and how I should respond?

Cheers smile.gif
Logician
No point at all in pleading, it just goes on numbers. As they say, if the line is not drawn somewhere, where do you draw the line?
Gan
Probably a waste of time

It wasn't raised to 42 that long ago
Jlc
QUOTE (sicpuppy @ Mon, 9 Dec 2013 - 16:12) *
which I am just over by a smidge at 43mph

Indeed, but if you allow 43 then those at 44 are just a smidge over. Enter circular argument and suddenly everyone would be eligible... biggrin.gif

Unfortunate, but that's what it is. 43 is actually anything between 43.0 and 43.9mph.
Logician
QUOTE (Jlc @ Mon, 9 Dec 2013 - 16:29) *
43 is actually anything between 43.0 and 43.9mph.

Don't you start!

You are quite right, but it is taken as 43 for all purposes.

Jlc
QUOTE (Logician @ Mon, 9 Dec 2013 - 16:37) *
QUOTE (Jlc @ Mon, 9 Dec 2013 - 16:29) *
43 is actually anything between 43.0 and 43.9mph.

Don't you start!

You are quite right, but it is taken as 43 for all purposes.

ninja.gif
Gan
Although logic would suggest that it's the drivers at higher speeds that are more in need of a course
Logician
QUOTE (Gan @ Mon, 9 Dec 2013 - 17:03) *
Although logic would suggest that it's the drivers at higher speeds that are more in need of a course

To an extent, although the thinking may be that a higher speed indicates a deliberate act, worthy of punishment, whereas a lower speed may be the result of accidentally straying over the limit and a course may assist people who want to obey the limit to do so.

Gan
Don't disagree about the punishment but, according to the guidelines, exceeding the limit by more than about 60% results in a summons = 4-6 points + fine in the region of £260 - £440

We could have a system where the drivers at speed limit + 60-80% could accept a fixed penalty of three maybe four points plus the course

The total cost would be slightly less than a summons, they still collect some points, it relieves pressure on the legal system and they learn something in the time they would otherwise be spending in court.

Logician
Yes, Thames Valley Police planned to do just that, but then pulled back, I don't know why.
sicpuppy
General consensus is dont bother then?
BaggieBoy
No harm in asking, but don't be disappointed when they refuse.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.