Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Accident - reported to police - what now?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
GT889
Very briefly, I was involved in an accident this evening, where I ran into the back of a vehicle. To be honest, I probably was traveling too close, but the other driver hit the brakes for no obvious reason. Anyway, I accept that it probably was my fault.

We exchanged details and the damage seemed very minimal, and neither her or or her passenger (boyfriend I think) were injured.

The other driver seemed quite upset, and after we exchanged details she started saying that she was going to report me to the police for tailgating her. As I got back into my car, she was talking on her mobile, and I was left with the impression that she was calling the police.

I have reported the incident to my insurer, but I am wondering now what I need to do about the police angle. I have seen CCTV cameras on the road, but I don't know if there are any on that stretch (also, they are always pointing in different directions - not quite sure what sort of cameras they are).

Should I contact them myself and give them a statement or, assuming she has reported me, should I just wait for them to contact me (and how long might that be). I could do without them knocking on the door, because I still live with my parents.

I'm going to look at some other posts, but I just wondered if anybody could give me a rough idea of what to expect and if there is anything I should and shouldn't do, if the police actually are involved.

Kieran_e1
the cynic in me says you should also be awaiting the inevitable whiplash claim sad.gif
Mattd
If you stopped and exchanged details with the other driver and it appears from what you have said that no one was injured then you have complied with your road traffic act obligations.

Unless the other driver is able to evidence unbelievably poor driving on your part or a blatant offence then my personal and professional opinion is that you will not hear anything from the police. Once the words "we both stopped and exchanged details, no injuries" are heard by a police call taker or police officer most of the rest will go sailing above their head ;-)
Hippocrates
QUOTE (Kieran_e1 @ Fri, 29 Nov 2013 - 22:05) *
the cynic in me says you should also be awaiting the inevitable whiplash claim sad.gif

If so, she should not have driven immediately after the incident and arranged for an ambulance to collect her and/or an inspection of her alleged injuries.
Figaro
QUOTE (Hippocrates @ Sat, 30 Nov 2013 - 01:16) *
QUOTE (Kieran_e1 @ Fri, 29 Nov 2013 - 22:05) *

If so, she should not have driven immediately after the incident and arranged for an ambulance to collect her and/or an inspection of her alleged injuries.

Injuries often take a while to manifest themselves. Only yesterday a doctor died just a few hours after an accident that she decided gad done her no harm. crash death

Imagine the drain on resources if every 'no injury' accident was attended by an ambulance to check for potential long term issues. I don't know the answer to all of this other than to ask people to get real and remain honest. I was rear ended many years ago and my company actually requested that I get checked out. There was some minor whiplash pain, it soon disappeared and I didn't bother to pursue a claim despite the obvious route to cash.

I guess the whiplash thing is something to keep an eye on. Does the OP think there is any reason to check CCTV To try and pin the braking for no reason blame on the car in front or are you looking for the path of least resistance?
The Rookie
I still have a displaced vertebrae in my neck resulting from a rear ender, I had no pain at the time, it only came later, in fact those that get out clutching their neck at the time are almost certainly the ones faking it, not the ones who appear fine.
Transit man
It is up to the insurers whether they pay out for any whiplash claims. It is of no real interest to the OP, the insurance companies will pay out for the repairs of the vehicles & any subsequent claims they feel are genuine.

The effect on the OP will be the same if they pay out for injuries or not, he has to log a fault claim on future insurance quotes. the OP needs to do nothing more, that's what you pay your insurance for.
stokie
QUOTE (Mattd @ Fri, 29 Nov 2013 - 22:57) *
If you stopped and exchanged details with the other driver and it appears from what you have said that no one was injured then you have complied with your road traffic act obligations.

Unless the other driver is able to evidence unbelievably poor driving on your part or a blatant offence then my personal and professional opinion is that you will not hear anything from the police. Once the words "we both stopped and exchanged details, no injuries" are heard by a police call taker or police officer most of the rest will go sailing above their head ;-)

It is possible for the police to take notice and action.
My good lady was involved in a minor RTC, damage only. Reported to BiB, car fixed. Few weeks later interviewed and then notified that other driver being charged with DWDCA.
Rallyman72
I was rear ended many years ago, no pain at the time but suffered from neck and shoulder issues, pain and numbness for about 10 or 12 years afterwards due to a trapped nerve. Had physio at the time and it helped a bit but not fully. Oddly it has, in the last 3 or 4 years, cleared up completely.
GT889
Thanks for all of the above.

Is it likely that the police will go to the trouble of checking to see if there is any CCTV footage? I think I probably was traveling too close, so I wonder what they might make of any footage.

From looking at other posts, I see that the police have up to 6 months to lay any charges and that they don't need to send a NIP within 14 days (due to there having been an accident) but, if they have taken an interest, how long might it realistically be before I initially hear from them?
The Rookie
If you couldn't stop behind a car you were following then it is pretty much a slam dunk driving without due care and attention, so whether you were too close or not paying attention isn't really relevant, it would be rare for the police to take action, but not unknown.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.