Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Very annoyed at this situation at work
FightBack Forums > Queries > Private Parking Tickets & Clamping
tiacat
I dont know if this is the right place to put this query or rant. I work for a social services department which is in in block of offices. We are the only team in there and there are about 20 or so of us. The offices are fairly new and have other offices rented out within them and there doesnt appear to be enough parking for the number of workers in all the various offices. Behind the offices are some private housing.

I dont know the full ins and outs but we apparently in the rental contract for the offices have various parking spaces in the car park.

Over time, more and more cars get parked all abouts in the car park and some of our workers find themselves blocked in by others etc. Some of the staff seem to have complained about this but the main person upset seems to be the admin officer. She is quite a controlling person and said that she was going to get a parking company to manage the parking. I dont know if it is being done by the landlord or whether she has organised this herself.

She is quite an unpleasant person to deal with generally but today she became quite angry that I had not used my special parking permit rather than my usual parking note and she is often to be seen running around the office telling people they are going to get ticketed.

It annoys me that by default I now have to engage with these cowboy companies and almost give them some validity. I try to always inform people that these sort of companies have no authority and as an example at work, the signage has gone up to warn of parking charges and PCNs. But they cant issue PCNs can they? It also talks of any penalty being halved if paid within 14 days, that sort of thing. Is that legal?

I feel it goes against my principles of ignoring these sort of companies.
kommando
But they cant issue PCNs can they?

Yes they can issue speculative invoices but also you do not have to pay.

It also talks of any penalty being halved if paid within 14 days, that sort of thing. Is that legal?

Referring to it as a penalty is not legal, only a Local Govt or the Police can fine or penalise.

As this can get quite messy you need to not ignore but use the very system they employ to cost them money but you nothing but a bit of time and effort, this will ease as you become an expert.

If you get a ticket first appeal to the PPC, does not have to be much of an appeal eg inadequate signage but make it clear if they do you agree then they need to issue a POPLA code.

The code costs them £27+ and you get a second appeal to POPLA which if you use this site will win 100%.

Once they have paid a few £27+ they may put you on the white list and stop issuing tickets as you cost them too much money wink.gif
Jlc
Which PPC has been 'employed'? (Not that there's any employment - just the opportunity to fleece people at any opportunity)
tiacat
QUOTE (Jlc @ Mon, 25 Nov 2013 - 21:05) *
Which PPC has been 'employed'? (Not that there's any employment - just the opportunity to fleece people at any opportunity)

I need to check tomorrow when back at work, its on the stupid ticket that we are supposed to put in our car windscreens, mine has been on my desk since she handed them out. I think they're registered in Maidstone though
tiacat
Its approved parking solutions

http://www.approvedparkingsolutions.com/ourservices.html
Jlc
...self ticketing - watch out! ninja.gif
kommando
And a contract left in plain view,

http://www.approvedparkingsolutions.com/do...ds/contract.pdf
emanresu
She is quite a controlling person and said that she was going to get a parking company to manage the parking.

Is a) she self-ticketing and b) does APS pay a "bounty" to the self-ticketer?

It would be very embarrassing if it was found to be some sort of second-income. But I am sure this is not the case.

More importantly, person who self-tickets would have to provide APS with a contract or a letter of authority to do so. Do they have one? Who supplied it?
ManxRed
Is this a golden opportunity to try this out?

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=897616

Gan
If that's the contract it only refers to unauthorised or illegally parked vehicles
It also refers to warnings

Quite obvious that they're not offering contracts

Nothing about authority to take legal action so all they can do is write letters
If all your colleagues get wise to it, they could lose out and give their 30 days notice before long

Love Section 2 in Terms and Conditions

Observe the law The company will operate in accordance with the laws applicable

How about if somebody who has received a permit but no PCN (yet) writes and asks for information about the use of the special permit ?

Include questions like these to flush out their arguments

"Am I trespassing if I use my other car with the permit ?"
"What happens if my permit falls off and lands on the seat?"
"If I forget my permit can I display a note if the car is on your register ?"

Can always, of course, tip them off when your admin officer forgets her permit or parks badly
If it's self-ticketing they might tell you who to contact

IF she gets a ticket you can decide whether to help her fight or not
Either course of action has its merits as part of the process to be rid of the company
No income should get rid of them fastest

tiacat
I dont think its self ticketing (if that refers to 'us' putting tickets on people's cars) as apparently there has been someone observed in a uniform going round looking at the cars
emanresu
I dont know if it is being done by the landlord or whether she has organised this herself.

That is highly relevant and will sort out the speculation. The reason why it is important is:

More importantly, person who self-tickets tickets would have to provide APS with have a contract or a letter of authority to do so. Do they have one? Who supplied it?

So if you have more information or can find out more information, we can help. Otherwise this should really should go into the Flame Pit and you can rant and speculate to your heart's content.
SchoolRunMum
QUOTE (tiacat @ Tue, 26 Nov 2013 - 10:48) *
I dont think its self ticketing (if that refers to 'us' putting tickets on people's cars) as apparently there has been someone observed in a uniform going round looking at the cars

Just to add you don't ignore these fake PCNs now, you and your colleagues just beat them at POPLA and I love the idea posted by ManxRed above, which I have already suggested to some others who are at 'first appeal' stage. Appeals info I typed up on MSE:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822

No-one pays these, run round like Little Miss Jobsworth and make sure everyone knows where to come if they get a ticket!!
Fluffykins
You mean you let them use your car as a posting board for free?!

How about something along the lines of:

To whom it may concern.

I OFFER xxxxxx and it’s nominated Parking Management Company jointly and severally the exterior surfaces of my vehicle to affix or lodge any notice, leaflet or similar communication, including the use of my windshield wipers and adhesive, subject to said adhesive leaving no residue and having no effect on the finish of the areas to which it is attached.

My fee for allowing xxxxxx and its nominated Parking Management Company is £150.00 per any one notice, leaflet or similar communicaiton.

If xxxxxx or its nominated Parking Management Company do affix, lodge or otherwise place any notice, leaflet or similar communication on my vehicle they will be deemed to have demonstrateed their unconditional ACCEPTANCE of my OFFER and a legally binding contract shall then exist between us.

Probably toothless, but no more toothless than any other speculative invoice and a little fun.
Alexis
Your best bet is to get one, do a proper POPLA appeal and stick the assessor's findings on the notice board!
SatNavSam
QUOTE (Alexis @ Tue, 26 Nov 2013 - 21:37) *
Your best bet is to get one, do a proper POPLA appeal and stick the assessor's findings on the notice board!

Yayyyyyyyy! Go get one! laugh.gif
ManxRed

Very good. I agree with this.
Gan

Superb advice

Include your appeal letter alongside it so everyone knows what to write

If you want to really annoy APS you could provide a pile of printed templates so your colleagues only have to fill in their details
Wouldn't take long for them to recognise the templates, realise what's happened and wonder if every appeal they receive is the first stage of costing them £27

ManxRed
You could all have a sweepstake on guessing the date at which the parking company give up, and 'redeploy' the parking warden to a different location.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.