Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nip issued to old address despite providing my new one
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
ctctct
I drive a company vehicle which was caught by a police speed trap, the police contacted the company as registered keeper and provided my details as I'm the regular driver. However the company gave my old address details. I realised this May have happened and contacted the central ticket office and gave my correct address and reference numbers etc. after a month I'd still heard nothing so I contacted them again and was informed my previous call was recorded on their records and that no NIP had been issued at that stage. Now another month on I've still to receive the NIP. I'm concious that there's an NIP out there somewhere that the police can't locate and I could potentially be pulled over at some stage if a summons etc are issued which I'm unaware of. Short of calling and begging to be issued with a ticket I don't think I can domuch more but at the same time don't want to make matters worse by seemingly ignoring the issue. Where do I stand legally?
jewels2009
your not ignoring the issue, your awaiting due process.

other person's actions in supplying late information etc are not your concern. Due process should arrive ( accepting the DVLA inability to incubate.)

don't intercept the procedure, their latitude to maybe flock ups, is your gain, hopefully

Wait
The Rookie
You really have nothing to worry about, in fact if they get to 5 months after the offence they will have lost the chance to prosecute you, as by the time you reply to a NIP you'll be outside 6 months.

Have you told the company about the error, it's more likely to backfire on them as they failed to provide proper details.
sgtdixie
Legally you need do nothing. In practice what you do may well depend on your relationship with the company. If you like working for them or it is a small family company or similar you may want to let them know they have given the wrong details. The reason for this is that if the new NIP/s172 goes to an address from which no answer comes the company could be prosecuted for failing to furnish details. Some companies will be very unhappy about ending up at court and being fined especially if the employee hadn't updated their personal records.

Whilst unlikely it is also possible that a summons for failing to furnish ends up your way as the Police will not know it is the wrong address and may assume you simply haven't answered. Whilst easy to defend in theory; who needs the stress.

If it was me I would speak to the company and leave it in their hands.
henrik777
Whilst unlikely it is also possible that a summons for failing to furnish ends up your way as the Police will not know it is the wrong address and may assume you simply haven't answered

I realised this May have happened and contacted the central ticket office and gave my correct address and reference numbers etc. after a month I'd still heard nothing so I contacted them again and was informed my previous call was recorded on their records

Which branch of the police would that be ?
Kieran_e1
QUOTE (henrik777 @ Sat, 23 Nov 2013 - 09:00) *
Whilst unlikely it is also possible that a summons for failing to furnish ends up your way as the Police will not know it is the wrong address and may assume you simply haven't answered

I realised this May have happened and contacted the central ticket office and gave my correct address and reference numbers etc. after a month I'd still heard nothing so I contacted them again and was informed my previous call was recorded on their records

the one that tells you what you want to hear to get you off the phone ?? smile.gif
ctctct
QUOTE (Kieran_e1 @ Sat, 23 Nov 2013 - 09:17) *

the one that tells you what you want to hear to get you off the phone ?? smile.gif

West Midlands
henrik777
QUOTE (ctctct @ Sat, 23 Nov 2013 - 18:38) *
QUOTE (Kieran_e1 @ Sat, 23 Nov 2013 - 09:17) *

West Midlands

The question was for SGTDixie. Perhaps he could get someone with an "email all" button to help since actually telling the ticket office doesn't seem to count.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.