Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Driving licence, protocol
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Goose
This is a bit of a general question really, but what is the score with driving licences?
If stopped should I show my licence, hand it over if asked, take it out of the plastic wallet?
I was wondering what the best thing to do is and why, I have always handed over my licence when asked but wondered why the officer has asked me to remove it from the wallet thing and what would happen if I refused.

ps to mods sorry if it is the wrong place or type of question but it may be relevant if anyone is stopped in future.
patdavies
AFAIK, the constable is entitled to ask for you licence and check identity details and qualifications to ensure that you have a licence for the class of vehicle that you are stopped in.  He is not entitled to look and see if you have any endorsements.  This is presumably to prevent previous conduct affecting any discretional decision that he may make.

When I had a paper licence, the plastic envelope was stapled through to prevent removal of the licence from the plastic wallet.

It is probably safer to never show your licence, but accept a HO/RT1 producer.  Hoewever, you must remember that if the PC is not satisfied that he knows your valid identity, he can arrest you until such time has he is satisfied.
Catweazle
Historically, coppers asked you to remove the licence from any wallet in order to avoid any misunderstanding should there happen to be a large banknote folded inside it.
Do bear in mind that a copper can use his discretion to deal with the case at the roadside if you can satisfy him that you're kosher. If you can't produce your docs when asked he no longer has the option say "On your way and don't do it again".
Remember, you'll never talk you way out of a ticket, but it's quite easy to talk your way into one.
TTonigmr2
I've always been told it is an admission of guilt to hand a licence over.  Hence I never carry it - bank cards should be sufficient to prove identity IMHO.

I'd rather take the producer!
T
Broadsword
a copper can use his discretion to deal with the case at the roadside if you can satisfy him that you're kosher. If you can't produce your docs when asked he no longer has the option say "On your way and don't do it again".

This is the best advice unless you know that you ain't got a chance.

If you are polite, civil and cooperative, the chances are you will be dealt with far more leniently than someone who adopts an adversarial approach, especially if you have your documents with you, (if he's going to have write a HORT/1 then its just as easy for him to write the FPN/E which has a HORT/1 built into it)
BikerPaul
QUOTE (TTonigmr2)
I've always been told it is an admission of guilt to hand a licence over.  Hence I never carry it - bank cards should be sufficient to prove identity IMHO.

I'd rather take the producer!

I got stopped, asked if I had my licence, I said "no".

ASked if I had proof of ID, I produced my photocard.

"Thoght you said you didn't have your licence?"

"I don't I only have the card bit..."

It got examined and I got sent on my way with a flea in my ear... and no ticket.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.