Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A1M/South Mimms Roundabout
FightBack Forums > Discussion > The Flame Pit
ajb1101
Hello all,

I am enquiring on the average speed cameras that are currently around the beginning/end of the M25 junction with the South Mimms roundabout leading to the A1M.

Are these cameras set to 50 correctly, as I have been driving at 47/48mph, and I am getting overtaken constantly by trucks passing me over 50mph???

Secondly, does the South Mimms roundabout have red light cameras? As over the last week I have seen boy racers going through red lights leading down on to the A1M, and there seems to be a camera high up over looking the lights and ramp leading down to the A1M but dont know if that is a red light camera or a traffic camera as it doesn't seem to be putting these drivers off?!

Thanks in advance for the comments/responses smile.gif
IanJohnsonWS14
Car speedos generally read high, truck speeedos are accurate.

At a true(TomTom measured) 50mph my car speedo reads around 54mph.

Other drivers may also take advantage of the enforcement thresholds - 57(?) in a 50 area.
Kickaha
Anecdotally, average cameras are set to a higher threshold than the 10%+2, although I would not want to test this out.
jdh
The trucks will be riding their limiters at 56mph knowing that the usual trigger point is 57mph. They'll also be cursing you doing 47/48 and getting in their way.
Not saying it's right, just that it's what happens.
Rallyman72
And as has been pointed out if that is 47/48 on your speedo then it is likely to be nearer 43/44 in reality.
David_R
QUOTE (Kickaha @ Mon, 18 Nov 2013 - 08:04) *
Anecdotally, average cameras are set to a higher threshold than the 10%+2, although I would not want to test this out.

I didn't want to test it out either.

They are set at the same threshold.
ajb1101
Ah I see...makes sense now.

I guess the truck drivers must get annoyed at me when I'm looking at my speedo and sticking to what I think is 47mph, when in reality its lower than that...but like you say, I wont test the theory in case I end up being over 50 somehow?!?!!

And what of the Red Light Cameras...is the camera I saw a Red Light Camera, or just some kind of traffic camera? As I think there should be cameras around that round about somewhere...!?!?!
BaggieBoy
I've just checked the PocketGPSWorld database, there is no known RLC marked at that location.
albert2008
my speedo shows 50mph, sat nav shows 46mph,

so at 47/48mph would be 43/44 mph
ajb1101
Thank you all smile.gif

BaggieBoy - I didnt even know there was a database? Lol!
BaggieBoy
QUOTE (ajb1101 @ Fri, 22 Nov 2013 - 05:26) *
BaggieBoy - I didnt even know there was a database? Lol!

It used to be free but is now available via a subscription (athough I got a free lifetime membership for being first to report a RLC in Uxbridge). It can be downloaded to various SatNav systems (I use Tom Tom on an iPhone) and gives very accurate warnings of fixed camera and also possible mobile sites. It's updated on a weekly basis.
The Rookie
I tend to go through average camera sections at 53 on satnav, 55 on the speedo and never had anything.......
DastardlyDick
The other camera is indeed a Traffic Camera controlled by the Highways Agency who have one of their Control Centres at South Mimms. AFAIK it has no Enforcement capability.
mickR
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Fri, 22 Nov 2013 - 11:19) *
I tend to go through average camera sections at 53 on satnav, 55 on the speedo and never had anything.......

Tut Tut Tut..... rolleyes.gif

@ajb ..... the Specs are working on the M25, but anti clock slip road off to S Mimms is de restricted as is on ramp anti clock. End of Specs anti clock is just past junction.
No RLC on roundabout.... unfortunately. for "South Mimms roundabout" read "Brands Hatch" wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.