Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is the diffrence
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
T'wasn't me ociffer
Hi all, newby here, Been reading through the forum and I've been transfixed for about 2 hours now!  I got my photo taken about 17 days ago by a mobile, I think he got me, not sure - could even have been a road tax spotter - but I was doing over 30 (by about 6 mph)  Fair do's,  if he did then It's a fair cop, but I was always under the impression that they had to serve the NIP within 14 days. Reading through here makes scary reading reading though, seems they can do what they like and get away with it! They got more excuses than a kid who hasn't done his homework!

If I do get done I'll a bit miffed really because my last and only speeding ticket was way back in 1968 - yeah I'm an old git, I know!

Anyway what I wanted to ask, and I apologise if it's been done to death on here before, but can somebody please explain the difference between an NIP and a FPN? It's been buggin' me.  

Ta - drive safe
Dave
jeffreyarcher
QUOTE (T'wasn't me ociffer)
I was always under the impression that they had to serve the NIP within 14 days.

Yes, but to the R(egistered) K(eeper), as per the DVLA records.

QUOTE (T'wasn't me ociffer)
but can somebody please explain the difference between an NIP and a FPN?

NIP = Notice of intended prosecution.
S172 notice = A notice requiring the addressee to name the driver at the time of the alleged offence (usually sent along with a NIP).
FPN = Fixed Penalty Notice. What it says; in theory they have a 'default convict', i.e. if you ignore them, a fine of +50% is levied against you automatically. Although, for reasons which escape me, in the case of endorsable FPNs, I believe that they take you to court anyway. These are usually issued at the time of the offence (except in Scotland).
COFP = Conditional Offer of a fixed Penalty. Like a FPN, but there is no 'default convict'. I.e., if you ignore them, a summons for a court hearing will be issued against you. These are usually issued subsequently, except in Scotland, where they are also issued at the time of the offence.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.