Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bit of advice please RE "unroadworthy" car and reporting to police station
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
TheTrancelator
Alright guys,

Not long ago I was stopped by a police car on a roundabout in front of me at night (I was behind) he originally stopped me for my headlights (bulbs to bright) but checked my details etc and the car and he saw that my nearside front suspension was out after not long kerbing it badly.

Anyway cut a long story short he told me he would of impounded it if he had the people available as it was "unroadworthy" but I was close to home anyway, He said he would put a 2-day ANPR marker on it and told me I would have to report to the police station 4 days after to show him it was fixed (he gave me his badge number but I forgot it..)

Now, The car is all fixed but the garage and people I know said he would of had to issue me a Vehicle Defect Notice for him to bring the car in to the station and check it off as fixed. Is this correct and if so since I have not been given any paper work there is no need for me to turn up? If they did put a marker on it or they stop me etc they can see it is all fixed
Broadsman
Why not go to the nearest station and ask them to see that it has been fixed.

Surely better than being pulled while on the road.
Pancras
It sounds a somewhat unusual set of circumstances.

Police have no power to 'impound' vehicles for being unroadworthy per se, some officers can issue a "PG9" prohibition which stops you from moving it and effectively means you need to get it recovered from the location stopped, or it might have a deferred prohibition which means you can drive it from the location stopped but then it can not be moved from a specified time (usually an hour or so, long enough for you to get it home). If a PG9 is issued the car has to go through a full MOT test to have the prohibition lifted.

or you could be offered a VDRS notice, which doesn't prevent you you using the vehicle in the meantime, but with the caveat that if you are stopped again using the vehicle with the same defect then you could be prosecuted. You need to get the car fixed and then present the car to an MOT station to have the specific defect checked. If it is OK, then they stamp the form, and you send it back to the Police Station. This has to be done within 14 days (that's not to say you get 14 days grace to drive around with the fault, but 14 days to get the form back to them).

I've never heard of having to take the car to a police station - after all is the officer even going to be on duty? Sounds something very odd about that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.