Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Proceeds from PCN
FightBack Forums > Discussion > The Flame Pit
parkingetc
Hi all,

Does anyone know who keeps the proceeds from a PCN? Is it split between the Parking Company and Proprietor?

Reason I ask is I live in a new build estate that is privately owned by the residents. However the stupid management company has decided they want to appoint a Parking Control Company on our behalf and charge us for the privilege. It appears in this case the Parking Company will keep all the proceeds so I just wanted to understand what happens normally.

Thanks,

Jlc
It depends. Most contracts means the parking company keep all of the 'proceeds' which is the very reason why they usually aggressively issue tickets and refuse appeals. No tickets, no income.

Some contracts do offer a 'kickback' or an actual recovery of lost parking charges (e.g. pay and display).

Others include an annual fee, e.g. for signs, but is usually nominal.

At the other end of the scale the parking company may pay a large sum to the landowner to very aggressively 'enforce' at key locations, e.g. airports. It's very profitable apparently..............
emanresu
on our behalf and charge us for the privilege

Dig out a) your lease and b) Articles of Association for the development. You may find they are not in a position to do much / anything.
Jlc
QUOTE (emanresu @ Wed, 25 Sep 2013 - 20:23) *
on our behalf and charge us for the privilege

Dig out a) your lease and b) Articles of Association for the development. You may find they are not in a position to do much / anything.

Indeed - digs out my favourite link. wink.gif
parkingetc
Thanks for your advice, funnily enough they are trying to appoint UKPC . I was thinking as a last resort I could refuse to enter into a contact with them which is being imposed on us against our wishes.

Also don't they need the consent of the landowner to issue tickets? If enough of us object and refuse them permission to do so perhaps we can prevent them being appointed in the first place? They also want to change around £1700 just for putting signs up!
SchoolRunMum
QUOTE (parkingetc @ Thu, 26 Sep 2013 - 23:55) *
Thanks for your advice, funnily enough they are trying to appoint UKPC . I was thinking as a last resort I could refuse to enter into a contact with them which is being imposed on us against our wishes.

Also don't they need the consent of the landowner to issue tickets? If enough of us object and refuse them permission to do so perhaps we can prevent them being appointed in the first place? They also want to change around £1700 just for putting signs up!

What, and they expect the residents to pay for that?!!!!!!!!!!!!!
parkingetc

That's right, unbelievable!!
Salmosalaris
I would direct a few of your fellow residents here ,
emanresu
Some PPC's have a revenue share (aka bounty) which is paid directly to the person handing out the tickets. But to go back to the other points

1. Lease.

If your lease gives you the right to "peaceful enjoyment" of a numbered space then a PPC entering that space may be trespassing and can be sued. Jlc has given you the link.

2. Articles of Association.

The MgtCo works for you - not the PPC - so see if you can get enough people together to vote either the idea down or the Mgt Co out.
The Slithy Tove
QUOTE (parkingetc @ Thu, 26 Sep 2013 - 23:55) *

Quite unbelievable! The management company needs to understand who's the boss, i.e. you and your neighbours. Make sure the other residents understand that this will cost THEM, not only the fee for signs, but it will be THEM who start getting ridiculous demands for money when they forget to display their permits etc.

You must absolutely stamp on this heavily and without delay. DO NOT LET A PPC IN.
Jlc
Is there actually a parking problem?
parkingetc
To be fair there is a problem with people parking on Grass Verges and Cycle Paths. They did a survey and the majority voted for no action to be taken and about half that amount voted for a Parking Company. Despite that they seem hell bent on appointing them anyway. As I suspected they started with the above issues and now also want to patrol visitors spaces so if you park for what they consider too long they'll issue a ticket. Not only that but the management company wants to wash their hands with it after appointing them so there will be no way for anyone to rescind a ticket other than by appeal to the parking company!

It all adds up to a bit of stitch up in my view. I'm trying to get other people to complain and if necessary we'll have to appoint a solicitor to act on our behalf but I don't really want it to come to that. Will check my contract but I doubt very much they have the power to do this against our wishes. Personally I don't park in cycle ways or on verges but I for one will not be entering into a contract with anyone to issue me with tickets. It's just ludicrous that we would want to pay someone to issue us with tickets.
The Slithy Tove
Under what authority do these muppets think they are acting? It's not even as if there's some maniac freeholder directing them, as you have indicated that the residents own the estate. Are the properties freehold houses, or leasehold flats (or some combination)? It could be that the management company only manage the common areas, e.g. visitors spaces. But mark my words, even if that's the case, any PPC will surely start ticketing cars parked on private driveways, even though that is trespass. Oh, and you may want to remind the management company that they cannot wash their hands of the non-problem by contracting a parking company - they will be jointly liable for any comeback (e.g. damages for trespass or harassment) that ensue.

You must get very direct with the management company. They have no authority to impose such rules over you, especially as the people who employ them (you) have told them not to. It may be time to get the residents together and sack the management company, and find another one. The arrogance of these people is utterly astounding, and a kick up the backside is what they most certainly need.
Jlc
QUOTE (parkingetc @ Fri, 27 Sep 2013 - 15:30) *
To be fair there is a problem with people parking on Grass Verges and Cycle Paths.

Are those parts private land?
parkingetc

The entire estate is private but those parts don't belong to any particular plot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.