Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Failure to Insure
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Kelly2801
Hi there. I have had a couple of letters from the DVLA with a fine for not insuring a vehicle I sold back in March. I think I've mucked up a bit and didn't send the V5 slip in but I genuinely thought it was up to the new owner to do so. I've since written back to them to inform them that the vehicle was no longer mine but they are still insisting I pay the fine. Do I have to pay this?

Years ago, I bought a car and was fined as the new owner as the previous owner hadn't sent the V5 slip in (which is why I thought it was the new owners responsibility this time.)

Thanks
The Rookie
You'll probably also have a fine coming for failing to notify og change of keeper.

The car was correctly registered to you, not insured and not SORN, so yes you are liable for the fine, I see no get out.
localdriver
QUOTE (Kelly2801 @ Mon, 23 Sep 2013 - 11:10) *
Years ago, I bought a car and was fined as the new owner as the previous owner hadn't sent the V5 slip in (which is why I thought it was the new owners responsibility this time.)

Thanks

The system is that the seller and buyer complete the relevant parts of the V5C and it is the seller's responsibility to give the green 'New keeper supplement' to the buyer and send the rest of the V5C to the DVLA, they then send the buyer their V5C

If you didn't, that is why you were still shown as the registered keeper, and the DVLA claim.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.