Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Might have been pinged
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
tufc
So, I was driving a friend into town last night. Going along a main road (30mph limit), I suddenly saw two blokes in reflective jackets standing by a car parked up on the side of the road (didn't look like a marked police car). I started braking, but then one of them pointed a gun at me, then took it away and his friend wrote something down. I think the fastest I was going was 41mph (yes, very silly, got no excuses) (digital speedometer), although I might have managed to brake to about 37mph before he pointed the gun at me - can't really remember, bit of a blur. It wasn't tripod-mounted, rather one of the hand-held ones, and I just carried on driving, didn't get pulled over or anything. I'm not going to be naive and say, "My friend says if it's a hand-held one they have to pull you instead of sending of sending you a NIP," because from my research, I'm 99% certain that's not true.

So, worst-case scenario, if I got clocked doing 41, what am I looking at? If it makes any difference, this is all in Scotland.

Cheers for any help, please don't flame saying how stupid I was; I know I was and whatever I get will teach me not to do it again.
southpaw82
It's not true. Worst case is court but realistically a fixed penalty. NIP must be with the registered keeper within 14 days.
tufc
QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Fri, 20 Sep 2013 - 23:22) *
It's not true. Worst case is court but realistically a fixed penalty. NIP must be with the registered keeper within 14 days.

Thanks for the response!

What would you say the chance of me having been done are then? The only thing I can think of to suggest I wasn't done was that they were next to a car that wasn't marked, suggesting they had maybe already pulled someone, and were only checking cars to try and catch someone doing a truly horrific speed; they thus wouldn't be doing NIPs, and would instead just be looking for cars to pull...

I'd say I'm 95% certain a NIP will be rolling through the letterbox (hopefully in 15 days' time laugh.gif ), but I'm just trying to be optimistic. I only just got out my two-year probationary period (literally a week ago), and it would be a shame if I got a stain on that lovely clean licence already tongue.gif
The Rookie
Only time will tell if you've been done or not or what will happen, my local force send out PCSO's to target areas and send warning letters ahead of 'actual enforcement' with punishments.
Transit man
Possibly some sort of neighbourhood watch vigilante group which could be a letter stating what a naughty person you have been, but as you know, assuming the car is in your name & has been for some time, then a wait of 14 days + is the only way to find out for sure.

QUOTE (tufc @ Fri, 20 Sep 2013 - 23:48) *
I only just got out my two-year probationary period (literally a week ago), and it would be a shame if I got a stain on that lovely clean licence already tongue.gif

Keep it that way easily by sticking to the limit, 41 in a 30 is over 33% above the limit biggrin.gif
Ocelot
QUOTE (Transit man @ Sat, 21 Sep 2013 - 07:58) *
Possibly some sort of neighbourhood watch vigilante group which could be a letter stating what a naughty person you have been, but as you know, assuming the car is in your name & has been for some time, then a wait of 14 days + is the only way to find out for sure.

That's what I assumed. Do they have such things in Scotland?

Shame they don't have SACs there.
tufc
QUOTE (Ocelot @ Sat, 21 Sep 2013 - 12:04) *
QUOTE (Transit man @ Sat, 21 Sep 2013 - 07:58) *

That's what I assumed. Do they have such things in Scotland?

Shame they don't have SACs there.

I don't really know whether they have them; I'm a student from London, and I've only been living here a year. I doubt it was some kind of neighbourhood watch lot, though, as this was after 10pm at night.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.