Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First time speeding offence advice please
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Maz_Scot
Hi all

I have held a full clean license for 12 years and have received an NIP through the door having been apparently caught doing 41MPH in a 30MPH zone on the way to work last week.
The road in question is the same road I use every morning, and in all honesty I fully beleived it to be a 40 MPH road as it is a long straight two lane road with no buildings on the side of the road. In fact im sure I drive the same speed every morning yet this is the first I have received a fine?

My question is (and Im from Scotland ntw) what kind of a fine and points am I looking at for doing 41 in a 30 ?
I used the online calculator and surely a £250-£400 fine n 6 points isn't acceptable for a first offence?

Dismayed to loose my 12 years no claims bonus over an honest mistake sad.gif

Many thanks in advance for your help
norahl
You will probably be sent a conditional offer of fixed penalty. £100 and 3 points I would say.

You usually have a sign to say 40 when that is the limit. No signs and lamp post mean 30. I would imagine that is what you are seeing at the scene.
Pete D
That will be 3 points and £100 fine. It went up on the 16th of August from 60 to £100. What was the date of the offence. Pete D
peterguk
QUOTE (Maz_Scot @ Thu, 29 Aug 2013 - 16:09) *
Dismayed to loose my 12 years no claims bonus

You won't LOSE you no claims bonus.
Maz_Scot
QUOTE (norahl @ Thu, 29 Aug 2013 - 16:13) *
You will probably be sent a conditional offer of fixed penalty. £100 and 3 points I would say.

You usually have a sign to say 40 when that is the limit. No signs and lamp post mean 30. I would imagine that is what you are seeing at the scene.

Many thanks for the reply.. 3 points and £100 isnt so bad I guess.. very frustrating nevertheless
Your right, there is no clear signage, for the bus lanes or the speed limit, its a road im usually cautious on making sure im in the correct lane to avoid bus lane fines.. and i end up with a speeding fine sad.gif

Im shocked to realise you get points so easily handed out for a fairly minor speeding offence.. but then again iv no experience of speeding offences!

thanks again
norahl
QUOTE (peterguk @ Thu, 29 Aug 2013 - 16:16) *

That was a joke I think...note the smiley.
Maz_Scot
QUOTE (Pete D @ Thu, 29 Aug 2013 - 16:15) *
That will be 3 points and £100 fine. It went up on the 16th of August from 60 to £100. What was the date of the offence. Pete D

22nd August unfortunately.. £100 is STEEP eh... :/

QUOTE (peterguk @ Thu, 29 Aug 2013 - 16:16) *

Sorry I didnt mean my no claims discount.. i mean the points bumping the premium up rolleyes.gif
Jlc
QUOTE (Maz_Scot @ Thu, 29 Aug 2013 - 16:18) *
Your right, there is no clear signage

That's the thing with 30mph limits - in an area with streetlighting only the entry of the limit needs to be signed. The streetlighting acts as the repeaters.

Unless there's signage to the contrary then always assume it's a 30. (As you may start within that limit and not actually pass a 30mph sign...)
Maz_Scot
QUOTE (Jlc @ Thu, 29 Aug 2013 - 16:29) *
Your right, there is no clear signage

That's the thing with 30mph limits - in an area with streetlighting only the entry of the limit needs to be signed. The streetlighting acts as the repeaters.

Unless there's signage to the contrary then always assume it's a 30. (As you may start within that limit and not actually pass a 30mph sign...)

Thanks biggrin.gif
Im sure I learned something similar in my theory test to do with the street lights but it was that long ago I really cant remember !
I thought to prosecute they needed clear signage, gonna check it out on my way home tonight as the road in question is over 3 miles long with a few crossroads on it so I woudlnt have thought 1 sign at the start would be adequate... im sure il just have to accept muy punishment anyway but worth a look !
The Rookie
Im shocked to realise you get points so easily handed out for a fairly minor speeding offence.. but then again iv no experience of speeding offences!

What do you expect to happen after you commit a criminal offence?

Nearly all driving standrads related motoring offences attract points.
Jlc
QUOTE (Maz_Scot @ Thu, 29 Aug 2013 - 16:35) *
I woudlnt have thought 1 sign at the start would be adequate... im sure il just have to accept muy punishment anyway but worth a look !

Do check but the presence of those pesky streetlights will be 'clear signage'. (As legally defined)
Maz_Scot
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Thu, 29 Aug 2013 - 16:36) *

Nearly all motoring offences attract points.

Well quite obviously I thought a fine for minor offences.. obviously you have more experience of breaking the law than me.. pardon my ignorance!

QUOTE (Jlc @ Thu, 29 Aug 2013 - 16:40) *
QUOTE (Maz_Scot @ Thu, 29 Aug 2013 - 16:35) *
I woudlnt have thought 1 sign at the start would be adequate... im sure il just have to accept muy punishment anyway but worth a look !

Do check but the presence of those pesky streetlights will be 'clear signage'. (As legally defined)

I will do, thanks for your help biggrin.gif
The Rookie
QUOTE (Maz_Scot @ Thu, 29 Aug 2013 - 16:43) *

Well quite obviously I thought a fine for minor offences.. obviously you have more experience of breaking the law than me.. pardon my ignorance!

Nah I'm the one with a clean licence and no threats of a change to that status as I read the highway code and know how limits are signed as well as the consequance of not following them.
Maz_Scot
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Thu, 29 Aug 2013 - 16:46) *

Nah I'm the one with a clean licence and no threats of a change to that status as I read the highway code and know how limits are signed as well as the consequance of not following them.

Ha ha well bully for you.. I on the other hand have a life and enjoy reading things other than the highway code & hanging around Speeding forums when I have a "clean licence and no threats of a change to that status"

Take your patronising comments elsewere, they are wasted on me as I really dont offend easily lol
The Rookie
OK I'm out, best of luck keeping that licence with that attitude.
Maz_Scot
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Thu, 29 Aug 2013 - 16:56) *
OK I'm out, best of luck keeping that licence with that attitude.

Lol I managed the last 12 years without a single offence, im sure il do just fine.. thanks for your completely unhelpful advice though! tongue.gif
southpaw82
QUOTE (Maz_Scot @ Thu, 29 Aug 2013 - 16:52) *

Ha ha well bully for you.. I on the other hand have a life and enjoy reading things other than the highway code & hanging around Speeding forums when I have a "clean licence and no threats of a change to that status"

Take your patronising comments elsewere, they are wasted on me as I really dont offend easily lol

Behave. If it wasn't for people who "hang around speeding forums" you'd not be getting any advice, would you?
Maz_Scot
QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Thu, 29 Aug 2013 - 17:00) *
QUOTE (Maz_Scot @ Thu, 29 Aug 2013 - 16:52) *

Behave. If it wasn't for people who "hang around speeding forums" you'd not be getting any advice, would you?

Yes you are wholly correct, however there is absolutely no need for patronising unhelpful sarcastic comments such as the Rookie's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.