Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First speeding ticket advice please
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Tron992
Hi, before I discovered this site I had replied to the NIP, saying I was driving the car, and disposed of the envelope.

I have just received a letter from Basildon magistrates court informing me that I was caught driving at 58 in a 40 zone.

A few questions I have are...

How many points am I looking at here? 4-6? I am a van driver for a living so this is quite important.
What is the best way to continue with this? Should I go to court? Plead guilty/not guilty by post?
What fine is to be expected?

Any advice will be very much appreciated.
mrh3369
Just what have you received? Are you sure it was from magistrates? That speed should normally be a fixed penalty of £60 and 3 points.
The Rookie
Well he said he replied to the NIP, so it's not a NIP!
Tron992
QUOTE (mrh3369 @ Sat, 10 Aug 2013 - 18:36) *
Just what have you received? Are you sure it was from magistrates? That speed should normally be a fixed penalty of £60 and 3 points.

The letter is headed postal requisition. I replied to an NIP about 3 months ago
peterguk
Is there just one offence mentioned - speeding?
sgtdixie
Postal requisition is a summons by another name.
Jlc

Fine reduced by 33% for a guilty plea, costs around £85 and a victim surcharge of 10% of the fine (min £20).

Did you not receive a fixed penalty offer - there's a possibility of a similar sentence depending on the circumstances.
Tron992
QUOTE (peterguk @ Sat, 10 Aug 2013 - 19:53) *
Is there just one offence mentioned - speeding?

Yeah just one offence.

I didn't get a fixed penalty offer either.

Should I plead guilty by post? Is it worth getting a letter of mitigation drafted up? I'm not sure the best way to go from here..

Thanks
Jlc
A postal plea can be attempted. If they are considering banning you then you'll have to attend. Probably not a lot you can say in mitigation as you could make it worse depending...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.