Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Two speeding fines arrived in post today
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
cefa
Hi all,

I have been directed here from another site... so my first post.

My husband is an industrial window cleaner and covers three counties. He currently has 3 points on his license for doing 36 in 30 zone. Today he has come home to 2 more notices for doing the exact same thing from 2 different counties.

He accepts he's been an idiot, no excuse, but he is under huge time constraints to get jobs done, and that he just forgets when he's in a rush. He's not looking to avoid the fines or points.

We are obviously now worried as he will now have 9 points, so 3 more and it's game over regarding his job and livelihood. So we have the following questions if anyone could answer...

He was doing 36 and 40 respectively on both fines... will he be offered a drivers awareness course

Will the drivers awareness course only be applicable to one of the offences

Thanks in advance...
Kickaha
Yes and yes.

If both counties are in the national scheme then he should only be able to accept the course for one of the offences.

Were the offences during the same journey, and if so what are the details.
sgtdixie
Likely 1 SAC and 1 COFP unless he has done a course in last 3 years.

If his licence is that important this is a wake up call to slow down.
cefa
Thanks

Not the same journey... different days. They just both arrived today!

So he would need to turn down the offer of the course for one, accept the fine and points, and accept the course for the other (should it be offered of course).

He's gone 5 years clean, then 3 in the last 12 months, coincidentally since he's been given more contracts to complete within the same time. As I said though, he just needs to pay more attention and not rush between jobs, he says he has to rush to complete the work within the time constraints, to which I replied, " you won't have a job if you get anymore as you won't have a license!!!"

Kickaha
You should get your reply to him printed out and stuck on his dash.
johnjo42
Point out to him that if he drives 10 miles at 30 mph it will take him 20 mins. At 40 mph it will take him 15 minutes.
So what does he do with the 5 minutes he saves compared with losing his livelihood?
JJ
fedup2
He needs to get a tomtom or some other similar device to warn of van hotspots or fixed cameras.
Transit man
QUOTE (fedup2 @ Sun, 21 Jul 2013 - 11:21) *
He needs to get a tomtom or some other similar device to warn of van hotspots or fixed cameras.

If he has a smart phone then there are plenty of apps available either free or very inexpensive. I use Speedwatch on my iPhone, it works very well & is very up to date. Make sure the phone is in a cradle, phone use can also get him 3 points.

I am also often under time pressure to complete jobs, my reaction to those jobs are to drive (whenever possible) to the limit, never over it. An urgent job is often forgotten about after a day or so, points last 3 years, 5 years for insurance purposes,

The day the law is changed to fine & give points to the person you are driving for is the day I will start speeding, until that time I will stay within the limits, the same goes for the other instances I am asked to break the law, e.g. overloading & carrying excess dangerous goods etc biggrin.gif
StuartBu
QUOTE (Transit man @ Sun, 21 Jul 2013 - 12:09) *
QUOTE (fedup2 @ Sun, 21 Jul 2013 - 11:21) *

If he has a smart phone then there are plenty of apps available either free or very inexpensive. I use Speedwatch on my iPhone, it works very well & is very up to date. Make sure the phone is in a cradle, phone use can also get him 3 points.

Thx for that tip..I'll have a look. I have the TomTom App. It's free for first 12 months .
fedup2
i wouldnt go down the phone route,its worth the small amount for a dedicated unit.It may well have prevented these 2 tickets.

something like this would be more than good enough although there maybe cheaper...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TomTom-ONE-3rd-E...=item4ac723acff
StuartBu
QUOTE (fedup2 @ Sun, 21 Jul 2013 - 13:33) *
i wouldnt go down the phone route,its worth the small amount for a dedicated unit.It may well have prevented these 2 tickets.

something like this would be more than good enough although there maybe cheaper...

That's the TT I have had for quite a few years now ..seems like a good price although iirc the Speed Camera update is £19.99 ...cheaper than getting a ticket though.!!
fedup2
QUOTE (StuartBu @ Sun, 21 Jul 2013 - 13:50) *

That's the TT I have had for quite a few years now ..seems like a good price although iirc the Speed Camera update is £19.99 ...cheaper than getting a ticket though.!!

Only if you dont shop around

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TomTom-Service-C...=item5af2c65691

And there are other ways too.
StuartBu
QUOTE (fedup2 @ Sun, 21 Jul 2013 - 15:03) *
QUOTE (StuartBu @ Sun, 21 Jul 2013 - 13:50) *

Only if you dont shop around

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TomTom-Service-C...=item5af2c65691

And there are other ways too.

Interesting ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.