Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stopped by police - 17 days ago - nothing yet!
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
John181821
Hi,

Just looking for a bit of advice. Was stopped on a dual carriage way doing 78mph in a 60mph in a company van, gave police all my details, name, address etc. I hold a German licence but have a UK licence number, the police officer said and I quote 'you will be given 3 points and a £60 fine within 3 to 4 weeks'

Now what worries me is that
1: He could have given me a Fixed Penalty Charge but didn't (suggesting he may be sending me to court)

Would this count as a verbal NIP, thus does this mean they are not allowed to send me to court?
Is my only option to sit around waiting for 6 months or should I still have received a written NIP within 14 days?

Thanks for any help.
peterguk
If you were warned you may be prosecuted, then you were given a verbal NIP, hence no postal NIP necessary.
John181821
QUOTE (peterguk @ Thu, 18 Jul 2013 - 23:31) *
If you were warned you may be prosecuted, then you were given a verbal NIP, hence no postal NIP necessary.

I see, is it possible or likely for the prosecutor to overrule the police officers 3 points + £60 fine and send me to court?

This is all because I already have 6 points, yes it was my fault but if I could avoid the courts that would be great. If I have to go to court,ill just have to. Anyone have any idea how many points I'm likely to get?

Thanks
The Rookie
Next action all depends on the process in use in the area you were stopped, most now have a central ticket office who will decide the next action based on the officers report, if you qualify for a fixed penalty, a conditional offer will be sent, if not then summons (or awareness course)....from the sounds of it I'd expect the offer in 2 more weeks, although some CTO's are running a back log due to incompitant start ups....
Logician
For 78 in a 60 limit, the number of points in court would be 3, the same as a fixed penalty, although the fine, surcharge and costs will mean that the cash payment will be greater.

It is somewhat of a concern that you refer to a 60 limit, do you mean a) a single carriageway road where the limit for cars is 60, or b) a dual carriageway with signs indicating a 60 limit?
If it is a) the limit for a van would be 50, unless it was a small van basically derived from a car, but we see van drivers posting here who are unaware of this. What sort of road was it, and what sort of van?
John181821
QUOTE (Logician @ Fri, 19 Jul 2013 - 10:03) *
For 78 in a 60 limit, the number of points in court would be 3, the same as a fixed penalty, although the fine, surcharge and costs will mean that the cash payment will be greater.

It is somewhat of a concern that you refer to a 60 limit, do you mean a) a single carriageway road where the limit for cars is 60, or b) a dual carriageway with signs indicating a 60 limit?
If it is a) the limit for a van would be 50, unless it was a small van basically derived from a car, but we see van drivers posting here who are unaware of this. What sort of road was it, and what sort of van?

It was a dual carriage way, I mistakenly thought that a van of 3.5t was also 70. I drive 7.5t vans aswell and knew they were 60 but thought a 3.5t was the same speed limits for a car.
Logician
I take it you now realise that only "car-derived" vans have the same speed limits. "Car-derived" vans weigh no more than 2 tonnes when loaded and are based on car designs, for example:
Ford Fiesta van
Vauxhall Astra van
Fiat Punto van
Peugeot 207 van
Renault Clio van
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.