Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Two NIPs 4 minutes apart?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Martinthorn
Hi new victim here, I have been NIP'd twice in less than 5 minutes while visiting parents on an out of town road by
a roadside van. The road was a 30 limit (not a built up area) and I've been clocked at 37mph & 39mph (both directions as I was
doing a short loop to put toddlers to sleep in the back of the car - I know this is no mitigation but that's why it happened!).

Would the advice be to accept the two NIPs and hope for an awareness course, or do you think I should send both
NIPs back filled out in the same envelope with a note requesting they are considered as a single offence (difficult
argument being in opposite directions I suppose?)

Pictures attached show the road from where the van was sited in both directions. Doesn't look very 30mph does it?
And yes I am bitter as it's not every day you potentially get 6 points in 5 minutes!

Regards,

Martin

Jlc
Highly unlikely this could be considered a single continuous offence. 1 SAC, 1 CoFP.

QUOTE (Martinthorn @ Fri, 12 Jul 2013 - 17:29) *
Doesn't look very 30mph does it?
Streetlights...
Logician
If you did a complete loop rather than turning back at any point could you have been doing more than 30 mph for the 5 minutes between the two captures? No harm in asking in any event, send them back together with a note requesting that they be treated as one offence as they were at the same location just 5 minutes apart and the reason they were in different directions was because you went on a loop in order to return to your starting point or something similar.
DJBenson
QUOTE (Logician @ Fri, 12 Jul 2013 - 20:44) *
If you did a complete loop rather than turning back at any point could you have been doing more than 30 mph for the 5 minutes between the two captures? No harm in asking in any event, send them back together with a note requesting that they be treated as one offence as they were at the same location just 5 minutes apart and the reason they were in different directions was because you went on a loop in order to return to your starting point or something similar.

I recognise that road - it must be a bad week for us Burnley folk tongue.gif
Martinthorn
Thanks for the replies! Yes it was just outside Burnley where I grew up: living down on south coast the 'safety' vans are white. Think I must have thought the van was the AA or something! Yes the streetlights suggest 30 I suppose but the road surroundings look more 40 to me and in fact quarter mile closer to town it's a 50. Burnley seems to be infested with fixed cameras as well these days..

Martin
rosysparkle
QUOTE (Martinthorn @ Sat, 13 Jul 2013 - 08:43) *
Thanks for the replies! Yes it was just outside Burnley where I grew up: living down on south coast the 'safety' vans are white. Think I must have thought the van was the AA or something! Yes the streetlights suggest 30 I suppose but the road surroundings look more 40 to me and in fact quarter mile closer to town it's a 50. Burnley seems to be infested with fixed cameras as well these days..

Martin
It's not that the street lights "suggest" 30; the street lights mean 30 in the absence of any signs to the contrary. The Highway Code explains this clearly.
Martinthorn
There was a 30 sign so the street light rule is not relevant.
Jlc
A terminal sign is required at the start of the limit. The (correctly spaced?) lights act as repeaters as 30mph repeaters are not allowed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.