Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: afraid heading to court
FightBack Forums > Queries > Private Parking Tickets & Clamping
Jonesey
Made a few mistakes and so not sure what I should be doing. Received parking ticket after going to more than three machines that were out of service. Had toddler with me and felt unsafe and unlikely other machines would be working as queues of people going from one machine to next. Went to one shop, made purchase. To find ticket and ticket field day all over cars. In my shock and annoyance went to one of machines and found it had paper and was working. Spoke to parking attendant who said to call and they would revoke ticket as they would know machines out of service.
Mistake 1
Told by them I had to write. I did- mistake 2
Told to appeal
I did - mistake 3
Read posts and have ignored letters since. But now they know who I am and although I am going to move, I may have got their interest up and they may take me to court.

What should I do from here?
Am so annoyed by the whole thing that I can't say- whole thing looks like a rig
Don't put paper in machines- go crazy sticking tickets on everyone's cars. Fill machines. Get everyone to call parking co
Who then say to write thereby getting your details. Also I was parked no more than 20 min. Has two hours free parking- which is one of my arguments . My other argument is that being on my own with two year old standing in queues in car park at machines a big distance apart is not safe!
Also, I made a purchase at retail park which shows I am a customer. However shop I was at is now closed,. And have been unable to contact retail park owners or find out who they are.
kirkbyinfurnesslad
The land Registry will tell u who owns the land and. the stores should tell you who the managing agents are
psimmons200
More info needed. No need to be paranoid about court yet. In any event such a case would be very unlikely to succeed.

1. Need date of the ticket, and dates of all correspondence and a brief gist of what was said
2. What parking company is it?
3. Did any of their letters to you refer to POPLA or give you a 10-digit code

Welcome to the world of private parking.
Jonesey
QUOTE (psimmons200 @ Tue, 2 Jul 2013 - 20:50) *
More info needed. No need to be paranoid about court yet. In any event such a case would be very unlikely to succeed.

1. Need date of the ticket, and dates of all correspondence and a brief gist of what was said
2. What parking company is it?
3. Did any of their letters to you refer to POPLA or give you a 10-digit code

Welcome to the world of private parking.

November 12. First appeal they said failed to display ticket therefore appeal overturned
Popla said there were four other machines, which I could have used. Bet they were not in service though and they were a massive distance away - rejected my claim as they consider no mitigating circumstances.
Two debt recovery letters received. - being a bit vague as my message may be seen by them.
Have popla ref.
The company in question is one of the worst offenders here smile.gif

psimmons200
OK it sounds like you went to POPLA with the wrong arguments. As you've discovered they aren't interested in 'mitigating circumstances'.

Unfortunately there are likely lots of people in your situation - POPLA don't make it clear that you can use many lines of argument and not just one, and often none of their list of 4 'reasons' stick out as obvious to choose from.

Your options are:

1. Find out who the owner/managing agents of the retail park are (just ask around in the retailers) and try to lean on them to get it dropped
2. Continue ignoring and if court claim appears, come back. Your court defence would be much better than your POPLA defence.
3. Pay

I prefer #1, and then if unsuccessful #2.
matt285
QUOTE (Jonesey @ Wed, 3 Jul 2013 - 07:45) *
Popla said there were four other machines, which I could have used. Bet they were not in service though and they were a massive distance away - rejected my claim as they consider no mitigating circumstances.

Just remember - nothing that POPLA says is binding on you, only on the other side. Also, despite lots of people (and companies) referring to POPLA as independent - they are the total opposite of independent.

So now you will have to wait and see what happens, maybe the company takes you to court and tries to use the POPLA decision to support their case - this would be an interesting one as I don't think this has happened yet. But anyways, as the others have said, if you should end up in court then there will be better and more support to make your case. Don't worry too much.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.