Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parking fine at Lidl - Athena - whats the best approach?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Private Parking Tickets & Clamping
smckent
Hi,

I recently received a notice for exceeding the 1.5hr limit by 10 minutes at a local Lidl store - I was a customer but paid cash so have no receipt

Having searched the web for advice I have so far ignored this notice but is that still the best advice or should I send one of the standard appeal letters?

Your advice would be very much appreciated

Thank you!
Simon
SchoolRunMum
Depends on the dates, whether you are still in time to appeal (28 days from receipt of the letter?). Athena are tame and do not do Court (well they haven't done before anyway).

Either way, complain to the Lidl Store Manager in the strongest terms!
StuartBu
QUOTE (smckent @ Tue, 25 Jun 2013 - 19:47) *
Hi,
I was a customer but paid cash so have no receipt

Thank you!
Simon

I guess you either didn't take the receipt or threw it away ...even cash customers get receipts biggrin.gif
smckent
yeh just didnt keep the receipt as cash

The 28 days is actually up tomorrow - I didnt realise so much time had flown by!?!

Does that change the advice?

Thank you again
S

SchoolRunMum
Appeal it by email tonight, like this:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showto...20&start=20

If you have to do it by post say 'I have received your letter on xx/06/13...' making sure that gives you a bit of wriggle room for them to receive your appeal by day 28 (from the date you received it).
smckent
Thanks for the rapid responses!

Which of the formats is the best - or is it take your pick?!

And appeal to store manager? Any standard formats here?

Much appreciated
S
Umkomaas
You might want to add a bit more pressure (which could turn into a torrent) by posting on the Lidl FaceBook page, just as is happening on the Aldi FB.

Usual questions:

Do they get a 'kick-back' from the PPC?
Does their contract wih the PPC give them authority to pursue through the courts?
Amount of grace period?
How does ANPR cameras manage such as Disabled bays and Parent and Toddler bays?
What does their planning permission say about free car parking provision?
Does their car park service other shops/outlets?
How does Lidl check that the ANPR cameras are accurately timing their customers entry/departure?
Ask them to explain how ANPR monitors parking as opposed to entry/departure?

That should keep them busy - but to focus their minds, why not copy the link to the Aldi FB page, here:

https://www.facebook.com/AldiUK?filter=2
smckent
Thank you for the comprehensive list of questions - thats really great!

Kind regards
S
smckent
Hi all

I emailed Athena as suggested - thank you

This is my draft to send to the LIDL store manager - any feedback or additions?

Thank you for everyones input so far - what a great forum!

Regards
Simon

I refer to Civil Parking Charge Notice (999999999) received from Athena ANPR relating to the car park at your store in xxxxx on xx xxxxx 2013.

I am currently appealing this notice as it is punitive and unenforceable. In order that I can progress an appeal with POPLA and seek advice from Consumer Groups I must seek your urgent response to these important questions;

1. Do LIDL received a share of any monies received by Athena ANPR?
2. Does the contract between the xxxxx LIDL store and Athena ANPR give them authority to pursue through the courts?
3. How much grace period is there over the allowed 1.5 hours at the xxxxx LIDL store car park?
4. How do the ANPR cameras at the xxxxx LIDL store manage delays in entering, queuing, parking or leaving the car park?
5. What does the planning permission for the xxxxx LIDL store say about free car parking provision?
6. How does the xxxxx LIDL store check that the Athena ANPR cameras are accurately timing their customer’s entry/departure?

As a regular customer of your stores I am extremely disappointed at the manner in which the car parking is controlled. Since making the xxxxx store larger the car park has regular queues of people trying to park and I am sure many other customers will have incurred similar notices - despite believing they have only parked for the maximum 1.5 hours. In fact the photo supplied with this notice shows several cars in the entrance which probably delayed my vehicles departure enough to cause the ‘offence’.

Thank you for your assistance with supplying this requested information or alternatively your consideration to cancelling this notice with Athena ANPR.

SchoolRunMum
I think I would add:

- 'what reasonable adjustments are made for disabled customers in terms of parking time? How can a camera allow for this and comply with the Equality Act 2010?'

- and finish by saying 'have you seen the Aldi facebook page at the moment, full of major complaints about camera 'Parking enforcement' by Parking Eye who are taking customers to court? I know Lidl also use Parking Eye as well as Athena (in my case), so what arrangements are in place to stop your genuine customers from being unlawfully harassed by your agents?

also

- as I am a genuine Lidl customer are you prepared to step in and tell Athena to cancel this fake PCN, to protect me as your customer, even as a goodwill gesture? If not, why not?
smckent
Well I can only say a big thank you to everyone who assisted me as Athena have cancelled my fine smile.gif

My letter was;

I am writing to you regarding Civil Parking Charge Notice x xxx xxx xxx issued to vehicle xxxxxxx on xx/xx/2013. Your charge is punitive and unenforceable. I require you to either cancel the charge forthwith or provide me with a POPLA validation code so that I can refer the matter to POPLA.

and the reply was;

Thank you for your email in regards to the above parking charge. Please be advised your charge has been cancelled as a gesture of goodwill and confirmation has been attached.

THANK YOU!

Simon
SchoolRunMum
Well that was easy! Sounds like Athena don't like POPLA and in fact I get the feeling that PPCs must be losing shedloads of these appeals now and I bet there's trouble at t'mill (BPA meetings)!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.