Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Moved house, never knew about PCN until bailiff letter.
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
senax
Hi,

Last Friday I received a letter from a bailiff. I found it when I got home and immediately called the number in the letter to find out what it was for. They transfered me to one of their workers who took my number and would get back to me in 10 minutes. This was around 17.00 and they claim to be open until 20.00.

Of course he never called me back.

On monday I found a website where I entered the 'Client Ref' and my car registration and found out that they had issued a PCN for waiting a few minutes on a double yellow line. On the website they show some pictures and a date; september 15th 2012.

I filed an on-line query about this where I asked which address they had mailed the PCN to etc.. Of course I never got a reply.

On Tuesday morning, at 6.30 in the morning the doorbell rang and someone was at the door, demanding 630 pounds or he would impound my car! That seems a lot of money for a fairly minor traffic violation. Where I had waited for a few minutes looked like a parking bay so I hadn't blocked any traffic and never left my car.

I think I know what went wrong though; we had moved house a little while earlier and I had forgotten to update my address with the dvla. However, my road-tax was running out around that time so I found out about having forgotten earlier and the change of address was already with the dvla at the time of the ticket. I don't have any proof of when I updated the dvla but am quite sure that it must have been before the sent out the PCN.

My new dvla certificate is dated 10/1/2012 October 1st 2012 and it takes them at least a few weeks to process changes.

I really feel that this is unfair; had I received the PCN I would certainly have paid it promptly. Never received any reminders and the bailiff didn't return my call.

From not knowing about this at all until Friday afternoon and being forced to pay on the next Tuesday morning seems a bit strange.

Is there anything I can do to recover at least the bailiff expenses (ticket was ~170, bailiff ~460)??

Thanks,
Frank

EDIT: fixed the date on the new dvla certificate.
StuartBu
Im confused
You say the ticket was issued for a contravention on September 15th 2012 .

You say the date on the V5 is JANUARY 10th 2012* 8 months previously .. ( *are these dates correct) .Is that the one for where you were living at on September 15th and your current address ..?

What is the DOCREF date on the V5

* You didn't mean 1/10/2012 by any chance did you?
senax
Sorry, my bad. The docref says 01 10 12, which I assume must mean 1st of October 2012.

This new certificate has my correct address on it.

Thanks,
Frank
StuartBu
QUOTE (senax @ Thu, 20 Jun 2013 - 16:43) *
Sorry, my bad. The docref says 01 10 12, which I assume must mean 1st of October 2012.

This new certificate has my correct address on it.

Thanks,
Frank

Of course ..what else would it mean ? Are you American?
senax
QUOTE (StuartBu @ Thu, 20 Jun 2013 - 16:50) *
Of course ..what else would it mean ? Are you American?

Nope, Dutch; I know it looks a lot like a date but since the field is not marked as a date it can be dangerous to assume that it is.

Not being a native was probably the reason why I failed to inform the dvla when we moved house. In .nl there is just one registry for all government branches, get that one updated and you're done.

Still, over 600 pounds for waiting in my car in what looked a lot like a parking bay for a few minutes while the misses goes to get an ice-cream seems a bit excessive.

This is the place btw, great money making scheme: Google streetview
StuartBu
I understand now about the date thing.. As for the charges everything about parking in this friggin' country is a money making exercise and bailiffs are the worst .
Someone will be along soon hopefully to advise you ..
Incandescent
http://www.bailiffadviceonline.co.uk/

Small fee payable, but nothing like bailiff fees !! To put this right will involve submitting a Witness Statement (or similar), but the above site will tell you what to do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.