Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick Question
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
Zwypl
My friend received a NoR from TFL I cannot go into all the details now, but I need to know how you interpret this line.

Option 1, to pay the discounted rate of £65 by 20 June 2013 and the matter closed upon receipt of payment.

Does this mean that I can pay the discounted rate on the 20th or before the 20th, please answer me on this point.
Bedfont Hounslow
QUOTE (Zwypl @ Tue, 18 Jun 2013 - 15:00) *
My friend received a NoR from TFL I cannot go into all the details now, but I need to know how you interpret this line.

Option 1, to pay the discounted rate of £65 by 20 June 2013 and the matter closed upon receipt of payment.

Does this mean that I can pay the discounted rate on the 20th or before the 20th, please answer me on this point.

on or before
guy on a buffalo
Logic would dictate that you should pay by the end of the 19th, but I think they mean the 20th is okay as well.
Zwypl
Can anyone please give me a definite answer what the meaning of by 20th is?
guy on a buffalo
As I said before logic (by meaning before) would dictate that today is the last day you can pay the discount. I think the intention of the letter writer was that you could still pay at the discount tomorrow (being the 20th). Just to add grist to the mill their system may be set to increase the charge at any point on the 20th (I've seen this before).

Why don't you phone them if you're worried? Only they could be definitive about this.
hcandersen
I don't think you're going to get the definitive answer you want because this is not a mandatory aspect of a NOR (do you mean NOR in respect of formal reps?) and therefore not tested in the way you imply.

The plain English understanding of "by" means including.
guy on a buffalo
QUOTE (hcandersen @ Wed, 19 Jun 2013 - 15:49) *
The plain English understanding of "by" means including.

Well Google appears to back your position up. Does this apply to 'use by' dates as well? Seems counter intuitive imo.
welshman10
by = on or before
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.