Full Version: M6 SB Junc 8-6 28th May
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Idleknight
Hello,

I have a NIP for the following

21:20 28/05/2013
M6 Motorway SB junction 8 to Junction 6
Speed 63mph in a 30mph speed limit

Now I don't remember getting flashed and I don't remember any speed restrictions on the night (other than usual road works), however it is my normal commute which on the plus side means I am careful not to get a ticket and on the downside, Its hard to remember a particular night.

As it was at 9pm I believe a 30mph limit on the m6 is unlikely, unless there was a accident
I do come onto the M6 from the M5 junction

Any advice, I have tried to google if there were any accidents on the night and could do with some more advice

mrh3369
The only 30mph limits that I can think of are by the pay booths on the M6 toll, do you use the toll?
Transit man
QUOTE (mrh3369 @ Tue, 4 Jun 2013 - 19:02) *
The only 30mph limits that I can think of are by the pay booths on the M6 toll, do you use the toll?

Nowhere near that, the section of M6, 8 - 6 is 50 at the moment, with average speed cameras, but there are some VSL cameras there, so probably (possibly?) one of them.

It could be this one, but you would not pass it coming from the M5 North, are you sure you were not travelling down the M6 from Wolverhampton that day?

The description, if it is that one, should really be M6 S, 9-8 SB, but hey ho.
IanJohnsonWS14
Was there a temporary speed limit in the roadworks - they tend to apply evenings.
Idleknight
Same route every day from the M5, I hardly ever go further north on the M6. So sure its not that one, but thanks for the link Transit Man

I don't remember any extra road works that night. It was the week of half term which would not make sense for extra road works.
Sunshineanddrinks
Hi idleknight

I too have recieved an NIP for 29/5/2013 05:19 speed 61mph going the same way as you i don't recall the limit being 30mph??
Idleknight
good to hear I am not alone Sunshineanddrinks
Please feel free to post your details and we should keep in touch and swap notes

So people of the forum I need to reply to the NIP and I plan on gathering as much information as possible
So what do I need to put in the letter if I am collecting information making a case that the average speed camera's/warnings are not working properly?
Spartan89
Hi

My dad has also recieved an NIP for doing 61mph in a 30mph speed limit on 29/05/2013 at 05:42 on the same stretch of motorway. He has also said he didn't notice any signs that the limit had been reduced to 30mph. If there were any signs specifying it was a 30mph surely they can't have been clear enough for you all to have not noticed them??!
sgtdixie
I think it is interesting that very few drivers travel on motorways at a speed of 60-65 mph in a NSL yet these are the speeds drivers are being caught at. Given most drivers are doing 70+ why don't we see literally thousands of similar claims if no lower limit was displayed. After all in a temporary 30 no-one would be doing that speed if they believed the limit was 70 so EVERY vehicle on that road would be getting an NIP which would pretty much deluge this site and the press. It almost seems as if some are slowing a bit and are caught out by the fact the 30 mph limit is being enforced.

Just an observation given no-one has yet provided credible evidence the VSL system is inherently defective.
Sunshineanddrinks
Well all its asking for at the minute if i was the one driving so i'll fill it in and send it off and see what they have to say. :-((
Ms Demeanor
QUOTE (Sunshineanddrinks @ Wed, 5 Jun 2013 - 21:20) *
Well all its asking for at the minute if i was the one driving so i'll fill it in and send it off and see what they have to say. :-((

Its going to be a summons to court and its the kind of speed where the driver will have to attend because the court will be considering a discretionary ban. Yhey tend to take big speeds in the lower limits more seriously Im afraid.
Jenny B
Hi Idleknight / Spartan89 and Sunshineanddrinks, I have also got a NIP for the 28/05/2013 stating my speed was 63mph in a 30mph speed limit. On the M6 SB junc 8 to 6

Its surely cant be a coincidence that 4 drivers are travelling 61/63mph on a 30 mph limit that day.

My letter wants me to sign and say I was the driver and send within 28 days. Will you all be doing the same? Or will you sign and attach a letter with it? I'm unsure what to do.

This just doesn't sound right.
Idleknight
SgtDixie

You are right, very few cars drive at 60-65 in a 70 zone
At the moment due to road works, this area is all 50 (not 30)
With most cars seeming to drive above that

If it stated I was driving 63 in a 50 zone, I would accept it.

However as pointed out a 63 in a 30 is a very different matter, I drive a battered old car and at no point in the commute home do I fly past anyone. If I missed the temporary signs I would of surely noticed myself being quicker than the other cars on the busy road. It might be that the signs were in the process of being changed and due to that I missed them. Or the temporary speed was not sign posted corrected from the exit ramp I joined the motorway at.

Jenny B
I plan to see if the forum comes up with any better suggestions. But if not I am going to spend the letter back with a request for more information to see if I can find out what happened.

3phase278
QUOTE (Jenny B @ Wed, 5 Jun 2013 - 23:01) *
My letter wants me to sign and say I was the driver and send within 28 days. Will you all be doing the same?

I'd strongly suggest everyone if they were driving completes the S.172 request within the 28 days allowed as failing to do this is a completely seperate offence with the potential for 6 points and circa £600 fine upon conviction. Don't elaborate or add any extra letters/queries etc - just fill the form out.

Nominating yourself as the driver does not make any admission of guilt relating to the alleged offence.

I'd be minded to contact the Highways Agency asking for clarification of the lower limit enforcement during the relevent times, and what signage checks were carried out - although they have no legal obligation to provide you with this at this stage, you may be able to get a heads up from them prior to what will no doubt be a court summons at the speeds alleged in the '30'

Normally the HA have very strict regular checks ref signage etc - but from what's been said here it wouldn't suprise me if someone programmed the SPECS incorrectly either.
3phase278
QUOTE (sgtdixie @ Wed, 5 Jun 2013 - 20:50) *
why don't we see literally thousands of similar claims if no lower limit was displayed.

early days - as time is about right now for nip's to be landing for some - also don't forget posting on here is not yet part of the s.172 request

i can't remember many threads where others have joined in like this in the past (excluding 1165b toll)

Didn't Archimedes say - if it smells fishy and looks fishy then it's probably a fish? or maybe i just made that up smile.gif

peterguk
QUOTE (Jenny B @ Wed, 5 Jun 2013 - 23:01) *
My letter wants me to sign and say I was the driver and send within 28 days. Will you all be doing the same? Or will you sign and attach a letter with it? I'm unsure what to do.

If you were the driver, at this stage, you have two choices:

1) Complete the form with your details and return within 28 days.

2) Do not do the above and face 6 points plus hefty fine.
Spartan89
You're right 3phase278 something does smell very fishy. Thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to attempt to call the highway agency tomorrow.

Jenny B, my dad has filled in the NIP form and sent it back. No reason to waste time I guess. The sooner you send it back, the sooner the issue gets sorted I hope!
sgtdixie
The thing which sounds most unlikely is that the limit was 30 mph. That is a very low speed limit for any reason on a motorway. I think it is entirely possible that it should read 50 mph. That would make speeds in the low 60's far more plausible.

Irrespective of whether they have the limit correct all drivers must reply naming the driver. The requirements for NIP's simply that the offence must be stated. In these cases that is excess speed. None of the posters here are saying they were not doing 6X mph so the argument is what was displayed.
IanJohnsonWS14
QUOTE (sgtdixie @ Wed, 5 Jun 2013 - 20:50) *
I think it is interesting that very few drivers travel on motorways at a speed of 60-65 mph in a NSL yet these are the speeds drivers are being caught at. Given most drivers are doing 70+ why don't we see literally thousands of similar claims if no lower limit was displayed. After all in a temporary 30 no-one would be doing that speed if they believed the limit was 70 so EVERY vehicle on that road would be getting an NIP which would pretty much deluge this site and the press. It almost seems as if some are slowing a bit and are caught out by the fact the 30 mph limit is being enforced.

Just an observation given no-one has yet provided credible evidence the VSL system is inherently defective.

This section of the M6 currently has long term road works with a 50mph limit with physical signs. Presume they are extending the VSL which currently ends at the M5 exit slip. Coming from M5 to M6 South as OP did there is currently no VSL but may be an average speed system set-up for the roadworks.
Jlc
QUOTE (sgtdixie @ Thu, 6 Jun 2013 - 06:04) *
None of the posters here are saying they were not doing 6X mph so the argument is what was displayed.

...or not displayed! Something fishy here given the number of people posting.
The Rookie
Just a thought....
That area is still under road works with fixed 50mph signs, so if the VSL were to display a 30, then you pass a static 50.........

OR an error has crept into the system and the scammers are stating it's a 30 when it should say 50.....

65 in a 50 is pretty much a 'normal offence', many times I've been through that section with the CC set at 50 (ish) and been passed by cars going 10-15mph faster.
Idleknight
I've sent back the NIP as required and thought I would bump up the topic incase anyone else got this as well
minimaestro
Hi everyone

I came across this discussion and registered for this forum after googling an NIP I also received. As I live in another address it has taken me a couple of weeks to read it:

Speed 66mph at 2031 on 28/05/2013
M6 Junc 8 to Junc 6

This sounds very similar to you guys. I too cannot recall seeing speed limit signs of 30mph. For now I shall send the form back admitting to being the driver and then hopefully contest it.

How did everyone else get on?
CuriousOrange
Best thing to do is to start your own thread. No matter how similar your situation is to another's, the forum rule is one thread, one case. This also applies when the original poster wants to ask different questions relating to their case - all their questions have to be kept in that thread.
Idleknight
Hi minimaestro
I sent in my NIP as above and have yet to hear anything...

Jenny B is collecting the names on this one, if you send her a PM, I am sure we can all work together
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.