Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Incorrect location of NIP offence
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
col_boot
Hi All,

I recently received a NIP for an alleged speeding offence.
However where the NIP states the location it said "Coley bridge between Junc 13-14, Glos" and did not state the name of the road. I think they mean the M5 but it doesn't say this.

Does this constitute enough of an omission of detail to invalidate the NIP?

Cheers.
sgtdixie
No
mrh3369
As you know where it is you are not disadvantaged so as the sgt says no.
Jlc
This Thread discusses it.

What's the alleged speed?
NeverMind
QUOTE (col_boot @ Thu, 23 May 2013 - 22:08) *
However where the NIP states the location it said "Coley bridge between Junc 13-14, Glos" and did not state the name of the road. I think they mean the M5 but it

I suppose that given it doesn't say M5, and says Coley bridge rather than Coaley Bridge (assuming that's their spelling mistake and not yours), you could at a stretch claim to be confused about the location. I know exactly where they mean, but I'm a local.

Maybe wait 14 days and then query it saying that you haven't a clue where they are talking about?

sgtdixie
QUOTE (NeverMind @ Fri, 24 May 2013 - 10:49) *
QUOTE (col_boot @ Thu, 23 May 2013 - 22:08) *
However where the NIP states the location it said "Coley bridge between Junc 13-14, Glos" and did not state the name of the road. I think they mean the M5 but it

I suppose that given it doesn't say M5, and says Coley bridge rather than Coaley Bridge (assuming that's their spelling mistake and not yours), you could at a stretch claim to be confused about the location. I know exactly where they mean, but I'm a local.

Maybe wait 14 days and then query it saying that you haven't a clue where they are talking about?

Is that another way of saying lie under oath.
The Rookie
QUOTE (NeverMind @ Fri, 24 May 2013 - 10:49) *
I know exactly where they mean, but I'm a local.

And the magistartes are permitted to use local knowledge, so that further hinders the OP.....(you a local knowing exactly where it means...)
BaggieBoy
NeverMind isn't the OP, we don't know if the OP has loacl knowledge.
col_boot
Thanks guys for the general advice and a special thank you to Sgt Dixie for his insightful knowledge on lying.

The real problem I suppose is that someone who can afford a very fast car could go through there at 100, my alleged speed was 68, in a 50 zone and then afford a barrister to get off on a technicality.

I consider that I am bringing to the police's attention that they need to get there act together and be precise.
The Rookie
QUOTE (BaggieBoy @ Fri, 24 May 2013 - 11:26) *
NeverMind isn't the OP, we don't know if the OP has loacl knowledge.

Which is, as I pointed out, irrelevant. When it's at court the NIP will either identify the location of the offence or not, in determining that the court can use local knowledge to determine if it does or not.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.