Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2speeding tickets in 1 day
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
amyjayde_x
Hi

I have recieved 2 speeding NIP's from the same day within 20minutes appart (I'm guessing its from when I was on my lunch break it caught me at 36mph and then 37mph in a 30mph zone on my way back) However I have always assumed that this road was a 40pmh zone and I know I'm not the only person who assumed this as alot of people have recieved speeding tickets the passed week in the same place thinking it was a 40mph. I think this is really unfair as there are no clear signs up to display that this road is a 30mph. The road is huge, about a mile long and you can clearly see the other side of the road.

The thing is that I've only been driving 13months and I'm worried that I'm going to loose my license through this. Does anyone know if I will be able to sit the drivers awareness course so that I will only recieve 3 points instead of loosing my lisence? sad.gif

I never speed and I'm always aware of the roads and limits. Just suppose I've been unlucky this time assuming this road was a 40mph. I drive along this road every morning to get to work. HELP!
glasgow_bhoy
If your in England, then you'll probably get one awareness course and one 3 pointer, which should see you good. You can't have done a course before though.
Jlc
QUOTE (amyjayde_x @ Mon, 20 May 2013 - 11:57) *
I think this is really unfair as there are no clear signs up to display that this road is a 30mph.

If there's a system of street lighting in place then the default limit is 30mph unless signs to the contrary. 30mph repeater signs are not required.

This is covered in the theory test surely?
amyjayde_x
I was unaware about the "street lighting" but someone did mention this to me yesterday. It wasn't covered in my theory test no. And I'm hoping that I can do the awareness course I havn't had any points before this is all new to me!
pcman1985
QUOTE (Jlc @ Mon, 20 May 2013 - 12:14) *
I think this is really unfair as there are no clear signs up to display that this road is a 30mph.

If there's a system of street lighting in place then the default limit is 30mph unless signs to the contrary. 30mph repeater signs are not required.

And in the Highway Code book too. The only time 30 mph repeater signs are needed is when there isn't street lighting present.
Street lights and no speed signs = 30mph. So reply naming yourself as the driver and for one of the offences you should be offered the speed awareness course if you have not done one in the last 3 years, and 3poinrs + £60 fine for the other offence.
amyjayde_x
Ok thank you! smile.gif
Pete D
"I never speed and I'm always aware of the roads and limits." Clearly not true. But a SAC and 3 points and £60 is the best you can hope for then drive like a saint. Pete D
ford poplar
OP, you state offences occurred 20 mins apart on the same road, do the timings suggest you were travelling in the opposite direction?
We normally ask OPs to complete the NIP Wizard for each NIP received and a Google Street View link to the location.
Others have suggested the likely outcome for each, PROVIDED you complete & return the s172, naming self as driver, within 28 days of offence.

"I never speed and I'm always aware of the roads and limits." - so why did you get caught? Local Authorities have a habit of reducing speed limits and extending 30 zones.
31 is tech speeding, and 36 mph is above ACPO threshold for prob prosecution, suggesting your speedo was reading 38-40.
Buy yourself a copy of the Highway Code, read & learn. Update yoursellf on local road speed limits, a wide road, or fact you can see the other side, does not mean limit is >30mph. You still have 11 months to serve under new driver regs.
The Rookie
Just to be clear, repeater signs are specifically not permitted on a restricted road (streetlights every 183m or less), so if there are streetlights and no signs, that is telling you it is a 30. It is in the HC you are meant to use to revise for the theory test.
pcman1985
It's surprising what you can learn. In some cases the limit may be higher than you think. Before I learned to drive I thought dual carriageways were 60mph for cars and was surprised to learn it is actually 70mph
The Rookie
DC's were 60 once.....1972.....(or so I'm told anyway....)
amyjayde_x
QUOTE (ford poplar @ Mon, 20 May 2013 - 13:06) *
OP, you state offences occurred 20 mins apart on the same road, do the timings suggest you were travelling in the opposite direction?
We normally ask OPs to complete the NIP Wizard for each NIP received and a Google Street View link to the location.
Others have suggested the likely outcome for each, PROVIDED you complete & return the s172, naming self as driver, within 28 days of offence.

"I never speed and I'm always aware of the roads and limits." - so why did you get caught? Local Authorities have a habit of reducing speed limits and extending 30 zones.
31 is tech speeding, and 36 mph is above ACPO threshold for prob prosecution, suggesting your speedo was reading 38-40.
Buy yourself a copy of the Highway Code, read & learn. Update yoursellf on local road speed limits, a wide road, or fact you can see the other side, does not mean limit is >30mph. You still have 11 months to serve under new driver regs.

It doesnt actually say anything about me travelling in opposite directions they were sent to my mam as two seperate letters as she is the registered keeper of the vehicle and i'm an additional driver. She has sent them both away together saying that it was me driving, so what will happen next?
Jlc
You will get your own NIP and you must then confirm you were the driver.

After returning these they will reply with their 'offers'. (i.e. awareness course/fixed penalties)
amyjayde_x
QUOTE (Jlc @ Tue, 21 May 2013 - 11:50) *
You will get your own NIP and you must then confirm you were the driver.

After returning these they will reply with their 'offers'. (i.e. awareness course/fixed penalties)

Will I have a better chance of being offered the awareness course if I send the NIP's back a few days apart, giving the first one a couple of days to be put on their system rather than sending them together? I'm just worried that if I send them together, they will see that they were the same day, 20 minutes apart and probably not even offer me the awareness course? sad.gif
sgtdixie
It will make no difference. Even if they go back in the same envelope they will simply process individually and the 1st eligible offence will be offered a course.
amyjayde_x
Thank you smile.gif
desktop_demon
if the two alleged offences were committed within a short time of each other - was this on one continuous journey? Or was one offence alleged "on the way to lunch" and one "on the way back"? The point being that if the car was being driven at a constant 40mph (or what ever) then one offence has been committed and only one prosecution should take place. If the car stopped or slowed to a legal limit (eg roundabout/junction) then two offences could have been committed.
sgtdixie
QUOTE (desktop_demon @ Tue, 21 May 2013 - 12:21) *
if the two alleged offences were committed within a short time of each other - was this on one continuous journey? Or was one offence alleged "on the way to lunch" and one "on the way back"? The point being that if the car was being driven at a constant 40mph (or what ever) then one offence has been committed and only one prosecution should take place. If the car stopped or slowed to a legal limit (eg roundabout/junction) then two offences could have been committed.

This appears to be the same camera, it would be exceptionally unlikely it would be classed as 1 offence as the OP suggests one was leaving work at lunch time and another returning. Generally the 1 offence, 2 hits scenario will only work with 2 different cameras on the same route.
The Rookie
That said it is worth a pleading letter asking them to consider as one offence, worst that happens is they say no, very unlikley they won't offer a course (they need the money!).
Pete P
QUOTE (pcman1985 @ Mon, 20 May 2013 - 15:52) *
It's surprising what you can learn. In some cases the limit may be higher than you think. Before I learned to drive I thought dual carriageways were 60mph for cars and was surprised to learn it is actually 70mph

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Mon, 20 May 2013 - 15:54) *
DC's were 60 once.....1972.....(or so I'm told anyway....)

Both incorrect, dual carriageway is a type of road and can have any speed limit.

It's astonishing to know that some people are unaware that street lights + no signs = 30mph.
CuriousOrange
I think it's fairly clear that they're talking about the relevant NSL.

henrik777
QUOTE (Jlc @ Mon, 20 May 2013 - 12:14) *

Restricted roads are different in Scotland. No A class or B class roads are restricted. An English girl i spoke to last week, who sat her test in Dundee, was told as you said and wasshocked when i said Scotland was different. I would say it's not in the theory test.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.