Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Accused of using a mobile phone
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Pete P
Had a slight worry on Tuesday (14th May). I was eating a small packet of haribo whilst driving (packet in one hand, other hand on the wheel). I was turning off the main road into a side road and with the packet of sweets still in my hand I scratched my ear with one of the fingers on that hand and just as I did a police car turned out of another side road and came towards me. I then put the packet of sweets down on the passenger seat. I could see in my rear view mirror he performed a very aggressive 3 point turn in the road and came back after me so I kept my speed down so it didn't look like I was trying to run from him.

He pulled me over and then he came up to my window and started on a rant about using a mobile phone whilst driving. I told him it was a packet of sweets, also that my mobile phone was in my pocket and was currently connected to the bluetooth handsfree system in my car at the time so there would be no reason why I would be holding my phone in my hand.

He was having none of it and simply said "we'll see" then walked back to his car got in and drove off at tremendous speed.

I did not make or receive any calls for at least 1 hour either side of the pull so the call records can easily back me up if required.

He didn't read any charges or my rights or tell me I was being considered for prosecution at the road side. Can I still get a NIP in the post even though it was a road side pull or was it likely this guy was just having a bad day?
AFCNEAL
You can/could/might, but the way you describe it reads like there'll be no further action taken..........
Editing
Did he ask for your name and address? If he didn't it is most unlikely you will hear any more. Can't see you getting a notice requiring you to identify the driver after actually being stopped.
I must ask though, if you are holding a bag of Haribo in one hand, how do you eat them? Presumably with the other hand....?
Pete P
No, he didn't ask for any details and I didn't see him write anything down either. He came up to the window and before I could even say hello he said "I've just observed you using a handheld mobile phone whilst driving, are you aware that is illegal?"

When I told him that yes I was aware, being a driver for a living I wouldn't risk it, not to mention that 1) it was a packet of sweets I had in my hand and I was scratching my ear, 2) my phone is huge (Galaxy Note II) and in my tight jeans pocket it is very difficult to get out whilst belted, 3) my car has a bluetooth handsfree system which was operating and which the phone was connected to at the time (I started scrolling through the phone book to prove it and said "see?")

I showed him the packet of half eaten sweets on the passenger seat.

He didn't even look into the car properly and just said "we'll see" before walking back to his car and driving away really fast without sirens or lights on.

The time between him seeing me apparently using the phone and getting out of his car after pulling me over was probably no more than 20 seconds so I doubt he could have radioed back to base or written anything down (he was on his own) and he sped off immediately after getting back into his car. It was quite an odd encounter.

To eat a packet of sweets with one hand you just need to shove it into your face and grab the sweets out with your teeth, it's very easy with the mini packets of haribo.
Editing
I am sure you will hear no more. However the law does say you should be in full control of the vehicle, which means 2 hands on the wheel unless it is necessary to remove them, and eating is not covered. We have all done it, just best to not do it where there is a police car around!
StuartBu
QUOTE (Pete P @ Sat, 18 May 2013 - 12:49) *
To eat a packet of sweets with one hand you just need to shove it into your face and grab the sweets out with your teeth, it's very easy with the mini packets of haribo.

I won't make a joke about sucking a Smurf while driving .

http://promotions.haribo.co.uk/smurfs/
Gan
Must admit that I'm paranoid about eating or scratching my ear when I'm passing motorway cameras
The Rookie
QUOTE (Editing @ Sat, 18 May 2013 - 13:28) *
However the law does say you should be in full control of the vehicle, which means 2 hands on the wheel

That one makes me smile.....so we have a law that makes disabled people with only one arm unable to drive.....except of course we don't.....
Johnxxx
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Sun, 19 May 2013 - 08:39) *
That one makes me smile.....so we have a law that makes disabled people with only one arm unable to drive.....except of course we don't.....

But supposedly we have a "careless driving" law that means that we mustn't eat a sandwich or an apple while driving - what's the difference ? How should we change gear, adjust the radio / lights / heating or do anything else while "driving"
sgtdixie
Not being in proper control may result from eating or drinking but it is not a given. Normally a court would expect the prosecution to offer some evidence that the vehicle was not being driven 'normally'. This could be as simple as wandering in the carriageway or continual braking in a line of traffic.

Driving one handed is not only easy but pretty much normal, the problem arises out of multi-tasking and taking your eyes of the road for an unacceptable length of time. In some cases careless and not being in proper control can both fit, it can then come down to the attitude test. I have known some cops give mobile phone users who failed the attitude test a ticket for not being in proper control as albeit the panalties appear the same, the insurance consequences are quite different.
The Rookie
We agree here SD.....see it happens! biggrin.gif
Pete P
Thanks for advice, car has automatic gearbox and I did not take my eyes off the road, despite eating at the time I would not say my standard of driving suffered as a result. I drive a large vehicle for a living and am taking a test for a larger one next week, so I would say my standard of driving is fairly high.

I normally use the buttons on the steering wheel to adjust the radio/etc and headlights/wipers are automatic smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.