Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: motorway cctv question
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
iffy83
Hi guys, need to ask a quick question regarding cctv on motorways. The motorway in question is the m8 in Scotland. My specific question is - do these cameras record and if they do, can the recordings be obtained under the freedom of information directive?
emsgeorge
You will need to do it under the data protection act - you need a 'subject access request' form.

Get onto highways agency, they will point you in the right direction to if its recorded or not.

I haven't worked on highways agency / motorway cctv for a couple of years, but all of the stuff around london and the south's routes, wasn't recorded at all, unless an operator was watching it at the time.

Also don't forget, any recording will usually be gone in a max of 31 days - and the cameras are used for traffic control, so it will be very zoomed out, to get as much of the road in the picture as possible. If you are looking for proof of a certain driver in the drivers seat, or even a reg number, you have no chance.

StuartBu
QUOTE (iffy83 @ Wed, 15 May 2013 - 15:29) *
Hi guys, need to ask a quick question regarding cctv on motorways. The motorway in question is the m8 in Scotland. My specific question is - do these cameras record and if they do, can the recordings be obtained under the freedom of information directive?

Is cctv footage not requested as a Subject Access Request if it includes yourself ( and presumably that includes your car) so I guess you would need to provide details of your vehicle and when and where it was (assuming it is recorded in the first place)
The Information Commissioners website might have some help.
Landshark
All the HA roads/cameras now record constantly (in the South). The only problems being the quality from the cameras are shocking, and it's whether it was pointing the right way or if it was even working!!!
sgtdixie
If I understand subject access requests you can apply if it concerns you. As motorway CCTV rarely is of the quality to read VRM's they are unlikely to be able to ID your vehicle and even if they did you would get a 10 second clip.

I don't believe you can simply ask for a X minute length of video but experts in this area may know differently.

Why are you asking?
iffy83
Thanks for the info. Im asking to prove a dangerous condition was present on the motorway, which should help to justify an action.
JP1978
QUOTE (iffy83 @ Wed, 15 May 2013 - 20:51) *
Thanks for the info. Im asking to prove a dangerous condition was present on the motorway, which should help to justify an action.

We assume this is due to http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showto...mp;#entry811793 where you ignored a red 'x' on the M8.

Personally, I would of at the very least had my right indicator on to show I was trying to move into that lane.

Just looking at http://trafficscotland.org/vms/

I can see that at least two of the Matrix Signs on the M8 currently say "Red X Is Mandatory"

I see this daily when using the M90, M9 and M8

From your other thread:

QUOTE (iffy83 @ Tue, 23 Apr 2013 - 00:12) *
However while traveling, I came across a red X on the overhead gantry sign. The road ahead was absolutely clear and no roadworks etc where present so I kept traveling in this lane. As I approached orange cones on the road work section I began to merge in to the open lane. I completed the merge and was pulled over by Police some 3 or 4 miles later.

After being pulled over, the PC in question issued me with 3 penalty points and a 60 pound fine for driving in a closed lane. I argued that the offence was a genuine mistake and that I didn't know of the correct interpretation of the red 'X', but obviously that wasn't going to get me far. I also highlighted to the Officer that merging was unsafe as other cars where not obeying the 50 mph speed limit in force.

The way thats written, you only proceeded cos it was clear to do so and made up the excuse that it wasnt safe to move over earlier as an after thought and excuse. You had no intention of moving over when you could of, so whether or not you could of, is rather irrelevant.

sgtdixie
If the 2 threads are connected you are wasting your time. You have advice on what is the best course of action, if you choose to run a speculative defence it will only get more expensive. I suggest you ask a Mod to merge the threads before they spot it and you end up on the naughty step.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.