Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Caught on variable Speed Limit (M6 / M6 Toll)
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
LewisDon
Hi,

I was driving along the M6 toll last night - with temporary insurance on a relatives car as named driver.

Where the M6 and M6 toll join the speed limit (which is shown as variable) changed a few times from 70 to 50 and back (which I stuck to).
When the two motorways merged, I was too busy concentrating on which lane I needed to be in, and was completely oblivious to the speed changing to 50 again.

I got flashed twice - so the camera more than likely had film in! and was probably going at around 60-65 due to the weather, thinking it was a 70.

Do I have ANY case here at all? with the speed limit changing so often / lack of notice / not speeding by much? or am I just clutching at straws?

If not,
What sort of a punishment will I be looking at receiving? dry.gif

60-65 in a 50 (Motorway Variable speed)
21 years old
First offence in 3.5 years driving

Thanks
Jlc
Up to 64mph should see a course offer otherwise it's a fixed penalty (3 points/£60).
BaggieBoy
QUOTE (LewisDon @ Wed, 15 May 2013 - 11:14) *
I got flashed twice - so the camera more than likely had film in!

I can categorically state the camera had no film in it...HADECS are digitial and the image is sent back automatically.
memyself
You were unlucky. Those cameras and speed gantries along the M42 / M6 usually have no bearing on danger spots - they are entirely set to trap the unwary and make money. Couple of examples for you:

-Driving along M42 at 3am. me and one other car plus a truck on motorway. Signs show 50, then 40 next one 20mph !!! so I slow down, truck very nearly runs over me and my car, he was driving too close - but anyway I can't risk a fine. Next sign is national speed limit. I would call that kind of signage just plain dangerous.

-M40 north take the left bend onto the M42, but straight ahead for M42 south, the visible sign on the M42 shows national speed limit so everyone accelerates up to 70.....but....as you round the bend for the M42 north it's set to 50mph and you can't see it until the last minute. The next sign is of course 70. again, it's entirely set for the unwary.

As I say you were unlucky, you just have to drive to the camera's on that stretch and take your focus off the road and onto the speedo / gantry gazing. The M25 are prone to doing the same late at night - speed goes up and down like a yo yo.
peterguk
QUOTE (memyself @ Wed, 15 May 2013 - 12:10) *
you just have to drive to the camera's on that stretch and take your focus off the road and onto the speedo / gantry gazing.

I hope i'm not near you on the motorway when you next choose to "take your focus off the road".
LewisDon
QUOTE (BaggieBoy @ Wed, 15 May 2013 - 11:34) *
QUOTE (LewisDon @ Wed, 15 May 2013 - 11:14) *
I got flashed twice - so the camera more than likely had film in!

I can categorically state the camera had no film in it...HADECS are digitial and the image is sent back automatically.

I was more getting at the fact that there is no chance of me not being 'caught' - not whether it is film / digital / anything else...

If it is automatic then it seems all I can do is cross my fingers and hope the notice gets sent to me after 14 days then eh!
Jlc
QUOTE (LewisDon @ Wed, 15 May 2013 - 14:12) *
If it is automatic then it seems all I can do is cross my fingers and hope the notice gets sent to me after 14 days then eh!

If you are the registered keeper and it flashed then I suspect a NIP will be dropping on your mat soon. sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.