Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CPZ - inadequate signage?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
Leah Car
Haven't been here for a while, but think I've fallen foul of inadequate signage...

Parked on a yellow line within CPZ as looking at the parking bay the restrictions were from 8.30am-5.30pm... I was parked in Nursery road, SW9 and turned right onto Nursery road from Ferndale Rd (Ferndale Road has a CPZ operating from 8.30am-5.30pm, Mon-Sat, so I assumed Nursery Rd was the same)

Nursery road has a CPZ from 8.30am-6.30pm - I parked just after 6pm (thinking I could park there after 5.30pm)

Also, the CPZ sign on the Ferndale/Nursery Rd junction isn't flush - its been twisted some how so its not at sticking out at a right angle, more like flush against the wall so I did miss it.

Anyway I'm wondering, do parking bays not have to be the same time as stated on the CPZ signs, and what is the regulation with regards to correct signage?

Thanks!!
BGB
CPZs are not relevant to parking bays. They only refer to single yellow lines.
Incandescent
QUOTE (BGB @ Sat, 11 May 2013 - 07:54) *

Yes, and the CPZ sign is on a single pole and turned so it is parallel to the road, so one has to wonder which side of it is Zone B1
hcandersen
Parked on a yellow line within CPZ as looking at the parking bay the restrictions were from 8.30am-5.30pm... I was parked in Nursery road, SW9 and turned right onto Nursery road from Ferndale Rd (Ferndale Road has a CPZ operating from 8.30am-5.30pm, Mon-Sat, so I assumed Nursery Rd was the same)

Nursery road has a CPZ from 8.30am-6.30pm - I parked just after 6pm (thinking I could park there after 5.30pm)

1. So, you were in a CPZ which was not restricted at the time of the contravention.
2. You turned into Nursery Road
3. Did you see a sign indicating that you were leaving the CPZ which you were in?
4. Did you see a CPZ entry sign (properly located and displayed) indicating that a restriction was in force at the time of the contravention?

From your account: 1 and 2 - yes; 3&4, no.
Leah Car

Ah! I never knew this, I always looked at the bay times when working out when it's safe to park... thanks for the heads up on this!

QUOTE (hcandersen @ Sat, 11 May 2013 - 14:05) *

1. So, you were in a CPZ which was not restricted at the time of the contravention.
2. You turned into Nursery Road
3. Did you see a sign indicating that you were leaving the CPZ which you were in?
4. Did you see a CPZ entry sign (properly located and displayed) indicating that a restriction was in force at the time of the contravention?

From your account: 1 and 2 - yes; 3&4, no.

Yes Hcandersen you have my account correctly...

QUOTE (Incandescent @ Sat, 11 May 2013 - 09:28) *

Yes, and the CPZ sign is on a single pole and turned so it is parallel to the road, so one has to wonder which side of it is Zone B1

Incandescent - I didn't even notice the sign!
Incandescent
Incandescent - I didn't even notice the sign!

I am not surprised seeing it is parallel to the street, I would probably have missed it myself ! However as stated here, the CPZ signs on entry give the single-yellow line restrictions. Parking bays can have all different times. Double-yellows are of course no parking 24x7 as you know, and no longer even need signs.
Leah Car
Well I knew the adjoining street had restrictions till 5.30pm, coupled with not seeing the CPZ sign and seeing that the parking bay until 5.30 I did assume. But had I seen the sign I def wouldn't have parked there!

I think I'm going to appeal on the basis of the crappy signage. And even if I did see it, as Hcandersen pointed out... How would I know which side was referring to which zone???
hcandersen
Parking places and times are not the issue, only matters pertaining to the signing of the waiting (SYL) restriction are in play.
From your account, the waiting restriction was not properly indicated.
Remember, this is not a guessing game. The default position is that all restrictions should be clearly and correctly signed and the signs should be located close to the restriction to which they apply. The relevant exception to this rule is that for SYL restrictions a traffic authority is permitted to not place local signs, but instead to place CPZ entry signs. But the burden is still on them to ensure that beyond doubt these clearly convey the restriction. The positioning of these signs relative to the carriageway is not an accident or negotiable, they have to be placed as required otherwise even an alert motorist cannot be certain to see them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.