Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Court summons, speeding
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
james111
Some advice please, I received a conditional offer for a speeding offence, 72 on a 50 (managed motorway speed limit),
I responded immediately and accepted the 3 points (already have 3 points), but I failed to enclose payment ( my error and not intentional)
I have now a court summons, I have pleaded guilty by post and stated that it was a simple error on my part not to enclose payment and in no way was it my intention to avoid/dodge the fine.
Can anyone advise what the likely outcome would be and if I should attend court?
AFCNEAL
Much the same fine, plus costs and victim surcharge.
Jlc
QUOTE (AFCNEAL @ Thu, 9 May 2013 - 13:05) *
Much the same fine, plus costs and victim surcharge.

Well that will depend.

The guideline is 4-6 points or a small ban. Fine is 1 weeks relevant income + costs (£85) + surcharge (10% of the fine, min. £20).

If you convince them that the reasons it wasn't taken up was unconnected with the offence itself (e.g. admin difficulties) then you may be able to get 3 points and something close to £60.
johnjo42
It may depend on exactly why you didn't send the fine. If you simply forgot to enclose the cheque and the police didn't point this out to you, the Court might not even award costs to the prosecution.
JJ
sgtdixie
QUOTE (johnjo42 @ Thu, 9 May 2013 - 13:51) *
It may depend on exactly why you didn't send the fine. If you simply forgot to enclose the cheque and the police didn't point this out to you, the Court might not even award costs to the prosecution.
JJ

JJ makes a valid point. But don't expect the court to just believe anything you say. Your job is to convince them you are being honest. Go suited and booted, be apologetic and polite and don't make excuses (for the offence). Stress you were always willing to accept your punishment and say sorry for messing up and wasting the courts time.

They like that sort of approach and are far more likely to believe you than turning up in a tracky and saying 'lifes a .... innit'
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.