Full Version: [NIP Wizard] Driving without insurance
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
pamsiebaby
NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? -
Date of the offence: - April 2013
Date of the NIP: - 26 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 27 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - Renfield Street, Glasgow.
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - First
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? -
How many current points do you have? - 3
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - Driving without insurance. Totally unaware that insurer had stopped providing cover. Was stopped, spoken to by officer, I advised I had insurance (thought I did). Received NIP. Not sure if it's outwith timescale or not or if the officer speaking to me counts. Sorry, not very clued up. Checked bank acct when I got home, saw debit from Co-op (insurers) so thought it was ok. Turns out that debit was from co op supermarket:( So mad with myself, but had already been stopped. Need to get insurance today, do I declare this? All help very gratefully received.

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - No
Was there a valid reason for the NIP's late arrival? - No

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:
  • The first NIP to the Registered Keeper must arrive within 14 days unless there is a valid reason why that was not possible, for example a recent change of details.

This link will take you to the advice provided by the RAC's legal team.

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v3.3.2: Mon, 06 May 2013 11:08:11 +0000
AFCNEAL
Sadly not having insurance is a nail-on as it appears you hadn't - fairly substantial fine and 6 points usually. You haven't said why the payment wasn't taken? If you had authorised it and they somehow 'forgot' you might have a special reasons defence, but if you let it lapse and simply didn't pay or the payment was declined, I fear you're doomed. How did it get to this situation?

If your new insurer asks about pending convictions you must be honest for the cover to be valid - prepare yourself for a significant premium hike....
pamsiebaby
Hi and thanks for your quick response. I understand no insurance is totally my fault and I will accept anything that comes my way because of this. What I really want to know is are they outwith their timescale to prosecute? Thanks again.
AFCNEAL
QUOTE (pamsiebaby @ Mon, 6 May 2013 - 12:18) *
Hi and thanks for your quick response. I understand no insurance is totally my fault and I will accept anything that comes my way because of this. What I really want to know is are they outwith their timescale to prosecute? Thanks again.

Nope. You were stopped by the police so they have 6 months to commence the prosecution.
mrh3369
Mwhen you were stopped were you warned that you would be reported for prosecution?
Melchett
Why did the insurer stop providing cover? Why was the payment not taken?
Logician
No, a NIP has to be served on you within 14 days but no NIP is required if you were warned at the time that you might be prosecuted for the offence. Some forces nevertheless send out a NIP afterwards.
pamsiebaby
To answer most questions, I've got mental health issues and find it hard to deal with things like banking ect. It's taken me 3 days of digesting the letter to try and do something about it. I don't know why it wasn't paid but I will look in to it. Thank you all for your responses, you have been very helpful. I can't remember if the policewoman said anything to me at the time, just that sometimes details don't come up on their database and it was prob nothing to worry about. That is all I remember from the conversation. She never gave me anything either. Looks like I will need to take it as a lesson learned and have someone else deal with paperwork/ financial matters for me. Thanks again.
Melchett
QUOTE (pamsiebaby @ Mon, 6 May 2013 - 12:39) *
To answer most questions, I've got mental health issues and find it hard to deal with things like banking ect. It's taken me 3 days of digesting the letter to try and do something about it.

Ok, is there anyone who can go through the relevent paperwork for/with you? Do you have a policy or certificate of insurance issued by the company? Did you receive notification that the insurance was to be cancelled?
Aretnap
A NIP is only required for certain offences, and no insurance isn't one of them. So even if you're not stopped at the time, they can legally wait much longer than 14 days before issuing any paperwork. In theory it could be up to 3 years, depending on when they became aware of the offence.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.