Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clarification
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Tefkab
Hi there. Not posted on here for a long long time. Can I seek clarification on a couple of points, please?

Firstly, if you've gone past a camera van and think you may have been speeding - let's say the day was a Thursday for argument's sake - if you haven't received any postal notification in the Thursday's post 14 days later then it's too late because you would receive the NIP on Friday. Have I got that right?

Secondly, are there any circumstances where this might not happen and you get a summons? Like super-excessive speed, for example? I have read the FAQs etc so I realise this might happen if someone has been stopped by police. i.e. would you still get an NIP if you were doing, for example, 120 mph in a 30 limit, or 200 mph in a 70 limit, past a camera?

Thanks in advance, if any of that makes sense!
Jlc
If you are the registered keeper (and haven't moved/changed car recently etc.) then they have 14 days for the NIP to arrive.

Speeding requires notification under s1 of the Road Traffic Offenders Act. If you were caught doing silly speed then a knock at the door is very likely... (Section 2 creates some exceptions to this but are mainly regarding accidents)
norahl
QUOTE (Tefkab @ Sun, 5 May 2013 - 02:22) *
Secondly, are there any circumstances where this might not happen and you get a summons? Like super-excessive speed, for example? I have read the FAQs etc so I realise this might happen if someone has been stopped by police. i.e. would you still get an NIP if you were doing, for example, 120 mph in a 30 limit, or 200 mph in a 70 limit, past a camera?

Thanks in advance, if any of that makes sense!

Road Traffic Offenders' Act s1(b) allows a summons to be served upon the offender. It is not until RTOA s1( c) that the NIP is mentioned. So yes there a circumstances where a summons is sent rather than an NIP. They would need to know who the driver was I reckon.
Logician
But the summons must still be served on the offender within 14 days.
Tefkab
Thanks for the quick replies. Brief details are that I was on a motorbike, dual carriageway, national speed limit. The bike is registered to me at my home address. I have no idea what speed I was doing but was accelerating off a bend with (I think) another car to my left, which I was passing. I saw the camera van about 4-500m in the distance and braked down to about 75 mph. I may have been doing 90 or it could have been 120, I really don't know as I wasn't looking at the speedo.

Either way, if I hear from anyone or not I've already learnt my lesson, being banned is a potential job loser and I'm pretty anxious about it. I have a clean licence, which has been clean for about ten years at least, as far as I recollect. I'm an IAM trained rider with about 20 years riding experience and rarely ride that fast in the UK. Moment of madness, really, and just stupid.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.