Full Version: [NIP Wizard] Time limit on NIP's
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Annoyedbythis
NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? -
Date of the offence: - April 2013
Date of the NIP: - 22 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 23 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - A386 Alma Road, Plymouth, Devon
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - Not known
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? -
How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - I have no knowledge of the offence. I had a Polish man working for me and he used the car at times, (he has returned back to Poland what are my options) I will need to see the physical evidence of this offence.
I have been told the police MUST contact you within two weeks or this NIP is not valid, Is this true?

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - No
Was there a valid reason for the NIP's late arrival? - No

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:
  • The first NIP to the Registered Keeper must arrive within 14 days unless there is a valid reason why that was not possible, for example a recent change of details.

This link will take you to the advice provided by the RAC's legal team.

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v3.3.2: Fri, 03 May 2013 13:57:02 +0000
andy_foster
Are your details correct and current on your V5C? What is the date after the DocRef. No. at the bottom of page 2 of your V5C?
douglasb
Are you the Registerd Keeper of the vehicle and if so how long have you owned it? Also, have you moved house recently?

It's only the first NIP in the chain that needs to reach the RK in 14 days so if it's a company car/van there will have been at least one other person in the chain ahead of you.

The s172 requirement to name the person driving at the time still applies even if the NIP was late. Ignoring this gets you 6 points, a fine of around £500 and increased insurance for a few years.

Naming someone who has returned to Poland is going to ring alarm bells. Was he insured to drive your vehicle? (It is exteremely unlikely that his own Polish insurance would coer driving other cars outside Poland so he needs to have been insured on your policy)
Annoyedbythis
I have had a reply from the police that are saying that DVLA did not give them MY address they gave the previous owners address. They wrote to them on the 17th April 2013.
I purchased the vehicle on the 06/04/2013, the paperwork was sent that day.
AntonyMMM
You need to tell us the answer to the question about the DocRef on your V5C .... as per the request in post #2

You can ask for access to photos to "help identify the driver", although you are not entitled to evidence at this stage, they will usually oblige.

If you nominate a person who is no longer in the country - be prepared for close scrutiny of any paperwork about his identity/travel arrangements and particularly insurance.
Jlc
QUOTE (Annoyedbythis @ Wed, 8 May 2013 - 14:24) *
I have had a reply from the police that are saying that DVLA did not give them MY address they gave the previous owners address. They wrote to them on the 17th April 2013.
I purchased the vehicle on the 06/04/2013, the paperwork was sent that day.

As already noted the docref is key but it sounds like the 1st NIP was served in time - so yours is valid. (The s172 request would be valid regardless)

The DVLA can take a few weeks to update - I suspect the docref is after 17th April.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.