Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gemini Parking - local gym
FightBack Forums > Queries > Private Parking Tickets & Clamping
AlCapwn
My brother in law over stayed his welcome at the local gym and ended up with a 'ticket' from Gemini Parking. When he first showed me the envelope, I was duped for a second into believing it was council issued. Surely the way they're presenting their 'ticket' can't be legal!?

Edit: looks like I misunderstood what he told me earlier and will need to appeal, couldn't get in touch with my bro in law but spoke to my sister who said he thought it was free parking on a Saturday. Not surprising since he's not very English literate!

Front:
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/5311/img20130428210647.jpg

Back:
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/7564/im...30429195111.jpg
Vinesh Patel
That's no longer the correct advice. Your relative needs to challenge, and then appeal to POPLA where he should be able to get it cancelled. Ignoring it you may create a lot of grief down the road and is NOT recommended. PPC's are far more likely to take their chances with a MCOL claim these days.
AlCapwn
Oh when did this advice change? Hmmm...any pointers to what I should say in the appeal? I'll basically have to deal with this since my bro in law doesn't really know much about this stuff.
SchoolRunMum
QUOTE (AlCapwn @ Mon, 29 Apr 2013 - 00:14) *
Oh when did this advice change? Hmmm...any pointers to what I should say in the appeal? I'll basically have to deal with this since my bro in law doesn't really know much about this stuff.

In very recent months, since the POF Act 2012, plus there's the knowledge we've now gained on how to win at POPLA, and plus the fact that a few PPCs have picked 'ignorers' for a few recent small claim papers. Not that Gemini have ever been known to issue a small claim, they are a 'small player' in PPC World I believe.

All in all, appeal and then appeal again to POPLA is the favoured advice where it's an AOS member PPC in England/Wales. You can get the stupid ticket cancelled at the PPC's expense. However, ignoring the whole thing is still an option too if your relative is OK about ignoring debt collector letters, laughing at the whole thing and is sensible enough not to panic (and also not to actually ignore real small claim papers of course, in that highly unlikely event).

In any event, wait for them to write to the registered keeper first, as long as it's your relative's own car and the DVLA have their name and address as the keeper (which they will sell to Gemini). Maybe they won't ever write (I had a fake PCN like that!). If they do send a Notice to Keeper, tell your relative to keep the envelope if it's got a different posting date on it than the letter inside, and look closelly to see if Gemini have met the requirements for registered keeper liability at that point:

http://www.parkingcowboys.co.uk/keeper-liability/

Then look to word something as forceful as this:

http://www.parkingcowboys.co.uk/appeal-letter/

...or choose to send a much shorter letter citing BPA Code breaches, like the one used in this thread (see middle pic in the first post, bear in mind your breaches you identify may not be the same as these of course):

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=78547

Then if they reject, check other stuff as I just mentioned in post #7 of this thread and include LOADS of demands and grounds of appeal in a POPLA submission (which costs the PPC money and is only binding on them, not you). That's also the stage where you must show us your relative's draft POPLA appeal I would suggest (written by you no doubt!) as we can help to make it as strong as it can be so that they can win this at the PPC's own expense.

PLease show us all pages of all Notices received - so whilst waiting for the NTK please let's see the BACK of that ticket. May not be compliant and that's the sort of detail you'll need.
Gan
Just to check, was he a gym member ?

Mate told me over the weekend that his manager had received one of these for £150 outside a Virgin gym

You have to wonder what Virgin were thinking of, employing what sounds like one of the more aggressive companies, but they were quick enough to cancel it when they learnt that they would lose two memberships at £60 each / month
dp7
QUOTE (Gan @ Mon, 29 Apr 2013 - 08:42) *
You have to wonder what Virgin were thinking of, employing what sounds like one of the more aggressive companies, but they were quick enough to cancel it when they learnt that they would lose two memberships at £60 each / month

One of my work colleagues had a similar experience recently. He sent them something along the lines of "I'll be happy to pay this £100 charge. However I may have to find an alternative facility at which to spend the £65 per month you have been receiving from me for the last eight years"

Surprisingly enough, it was cancelled within a couple of days.
AlCapwn
QUOTE (SchoolRunMum @ Mon, 29 Apr 2013 - 02:00) *
<snip>

In any event, wait for them to write to the registered keeper first, as long as it's your relative's own car and the DVLA have their name and address as the keeper (which they will sell to Gemini). Maybe they won't ever write (I had a fake PCN like that!). If they do send a Notice to Keeper, tell your relative to keep the envelope if it's got a different posting date on it than the letter inside, and look closelly to see if Gemini have met the requirements for registered keeper liability at that point:
<snip>

PLease show us all pages of all Notices received - so whilst waiting for the NTK please let's see the BACK of that ticket. May not be compliant and that's the sort of detail you'll need.

Thanks SchoolRunMum. Just so I've understood properly, should I put in an appeal now and then to POPLA or wait until the letter arrives to the registered keeper (in this case my sister, as my bro in law is 2nd driver). I've amended the first post with a link to the back of the ticket. Quite large image so I've not added a preview.

QUOTE (Gan @ Mon, 29 Apr 2013 - 08:42) *
Just to check, was he a gym member ?

Mate told me over the weekend that his manager had received one of these for £150 outside a Virgin gym

He's a pay as you go user, not a full member, as he goes irregularly for swimming mainly.
SchoolRunMum
Simply wait until the letter arrives to the registered keeper - this will then mean the appeal (and POPLA appeal in due course) will need to be be done in her name. Do NOT put in an appeal now or you miss the chance to add more non-compliance into the POPLA appeal. Bound to be issues with the Notice to Keeper (not sure we've seen a compliant one yet). If you'd rushed to appeal now you would never get a NTK, and it's such a source of non-compliance I say it's always worth waiting for that first.

Please show us the NTK (all sides, all wording except the PCN number and personal details/location/date) when you get it, and start comparing it to the BPA Code of Practice and the Parking Cowboys website info. Post your findings and a pic of the NTK when it arrives.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.