Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: court summons
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
nicknack1977
I have received a court summons for doing 46 in a 30 just under 6 months ago.

I acknowledged driving at the time but didn't accept the points offer because i forgot to do it within the time limit and once that had elapsed thought i would keep
quiet and hope for the best(doh)

If i now plead guilty by post what is the likely penalty?

Is there anything i can send with my letter that may help me?

AFCNEAL
You should get the same/similar fine/points (£60 + 3) but with the addition of costs and 'victim surcharge' An accompanying letter won't have much/any sway plus 'forgetting' and then 'hoping' doesn't really help your cause??!
mrh3369
I suspect the fine may be a tad higher and the points will be in the 4-6 category in court.
Aretnap

You can add another £100 or so in costs and victim surcharge. There's provision for the court to impose a mere 3 points and £60 if you were unable to accept the fixed penalty due to administrative difficulties or similar reasons, but I doubt whether "I forgot about it, then I hoped they'd forget about it too" will be accepted as grounds for imposing the reduced penalty.
Jlc
Indeed, probably 5 points (4 if you're lucky). Fine of 1 week's post-deduction earnings (Reduced by 33%), costs of around £80, surcharge of 10% of fine (min £20).

QUOTE (nicknack1977 @ Sat, 27 Apr 2013 - 09:50) *
If i now plead guilty by post what is the likely penalty?

Is there anything i can send with my letter that may help me?

They should accept a guilty postal plea. But if they are considering a ban they may adjourn and request your presence.
iwt
Hi.
The quote from the guidelines is:
"reasons unconnected with the offence itself, such as administrative difficulties".
Forgetting about something sounds like a reason unconnected with the offence itself. Court may well not agree, but it's unlikely to even consider it if you don't ask.
--
Regards, Iain.
mrh3369
I think that it would take a very very sympathetic bench indeed.
sgtdixie
QUOTE (iwt @ Sat, 27 Apr 2013 - 14:23) *
Hi.
The quote from the guidelines is:
"reasons unconnected with the offence itself, such as administrative difficulties".
Forgetting about something sounds like a reason unconnected with the offence itself. Court may well not agree, but it's unlikely to even consider it if you don't ask.
--
Regards, Iain.

Whilst accurate, courts virtually always impose higher penalties where an offer is made and turned down for whatever reason.
uk_mike
It is had to see a bench being willing to offer such a concession where the circumstances are due to the actions (or lack therfo) of the accused.

One could just as easily argue that refusing point blank to accept it also met the defintion of the guidlines....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.