Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flashed but not changed registration address
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
dave99
I was flashed by a camera a couple of weeks ago and had in my mind that any potential NIP would go to my mums house where my licence was originally registered and still is (never changed this as I dont want a photo licence and I still get all post from that address). However, it dawned on me this morning as I drove past the same camera that it would probably go the the address on the V5C - now, I moved house last year and although I had it on my list I never got around to changing the V5C address (among other things I have now discovered!)

Any thoughts on what I should do? I assume the very first thing is to send off the V5C with the new address, but what if a NIP was sent to my previous address? Should I try to find out from the DVLA or scameraship if anything ticket was sent?

I know there isn't really a good excuse for not updating the address but it is a genuine mistake, moving was a very hectic time and things get forgotten sad.gif

thanks
The Rookie
Just get the address changed ASAP, it's very likley they will catch up with you at some point if they are taking action.
dave99
thanks, I'll get it done tonight and see what happens
StuartBu
QUOTE (dave99 @ Thu, 25 Apr 2013 - 08:02) *
I was flashed by a camera a couple of weeks ago and had in my mind that any potential NIP would go to my mums house where my licence was originally registered and still is (never changed this as I dont want a photo licence and I still get all post from that address). However, it dawned on me this morning as I drove past the same camera that it would probably go the the address on the V5C - now, I moved house last year and although I had it on my list I never got around to changing the V5C address (among other things I have now discovered!)

Any thoughts on what I should do? I assume the very first thing is to send off the V5C with the new address, but what if a NIP was sent to my previous address? Should I try to find out from the DVLA or scameraship if anything ticket was sent?

I know there isn't really a good excuse for not updating the address but it is a genuine mistake, moving was a very hectic time and things get forgotten sad.gif

thanks

So you never bothered advising DVLA of your change of address when you moved house and presumably you never thought of getting a Royal Mail redirect ??
Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh!!
dave99
QUOTE (StuartBu @ Thu, 25 Apr 2013 - 13:04) *
QUOTE (dave99 @ Thu, 25 Apr 2013 - 08:02) *

thanks

So you never bothered advising DVLA of your change of address when you moved house and presumably you never thought of getting a Royal Mail redirect ??
Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh!!

Stuart, as I said, I know there is no good excuse for not doing it. It wasn't a case of not bothering, it was on my long list of things to do once I moved but it got missed, I don't think that is too hard to understand. People are not perfect unfortunately. I fully understand the failing on my part and came here asking for any advice on what to do next.

I did have Royal Mail redirect for several months and updated the address of any mail that came in that time period, but the DVLA never sent me anything in that time period - as it happens my road tax is due soon so that will be the first bit of mail from the DVLA so perhaps a good job this has come up when it has.

Aretnap
If you update your V5C now it will catch up with you eventually, but it will likely be too late for a speed awareness course (assuming you weren't too far over the limit), and there's always a chance that you'll be charged with failure to furnish driver details before they get your new address - which would at worst leave you looking at 6 points and a large fine, and at best cause you more than £60 worth of hassle. So it's probably worth phoning the ticket office for the force area it was in and asking if they've got anything recorded against your registration number - and if so advising them of your new address.

You may be lucky - the fact that there was a flash doesn't necessarily mean that there was a real camera in the box, but the only way to find out is to make the call or sit and see what happens.

You've theoretically committed an offence by not updating your details promptly, but it's extremely unlikely that you'll get into any trouble simply for that.
the_devil
As its a couple of weeks ago (ie greater than 14 days) it may be worthwhile phoning the SCP and asking if a NIP has been issued. If they haven't done one and are tempted to do so by your call, the Gidden defense would work.
The Rookie
What hogwash.......why would they now be tempted to do one and why would Gidden work?
sgtdixie
You have nothing to lose by phoning and everything to gain. If there is no job pending calling won't create one. If there is and it has gone to your old address you would not be able to reply to something you haven't had and as it is your fault the address is wrong you would be unlikely to be able to avail yourself of the defence of not receiving the NIP.

SCP's often get this sort of call, often from worried cops to be fair, and whilst they may not confirm they have a pending offence (data protection etc as they don't know who you are) if you give them your VRM and tell them you have moved to X address at least you won't end up on the end of a fail to furnish summons.

Ignore the comment from the devil re Gidden.
dave99
I actually called DVLA yesterday to tell them I had forgotten to change my address and I was concerned in case any driving offenses had been sent to the old address - the nice lady told me there was nothing logged against my reg number and just said to send in the V5C with my new address and all would be fine. The only thing to watch for is I wont get a tax reminder as they are printed 8 weeks in advance so will already have been printed with my old address even though it hasnt been posted yet.

Thanks for all your input
Aretnap
The DVLA won't know about a speeding offence which is pending, just ones which you've already been convicted of. To deal with the latest flash you need to contact the police force for the area you were flashed in, who may already have got your (old) address from the DVLA, or may yet ask for it before your details get updated. If they do they'll send the NIP to your old address, and when it gets no reply they may or may not check to see whether your address has been changed in the meantime before they send a summons.
desktop_demon
Is it possible to check if anything was sent to the previous address?
dave99
well just to be sure I rang the SCP and they said they had nothing under my registration smile.gif

I am obviously pleased but a little surprised - the camera was a Redspeed/Monitron which I understood transmits electronically back to base. Perhaps the photo wasnt good enough or some other technicality stopped it.
uk_mike
More likely it was a dummy flash.

The kit is rather expensive so some SCPs have more boxes than kit, and rotate the kit they do have through the boxes. Some use cheaper dummy flash units in the "empty" boxes. I suspect that some of the boxes in less lucrative, ermm sorry dangerous happy.gif , locations may never actually be live.

The odds of a camera actually getting you can be a bit of a postcode lottery.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.