Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Volunteer Required
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Mika
Hi all,

We need someone, who is currently being prosecuted for speeding by the evidence of a civilian operator, to help us to appeal the following point of law to the High Court:

“Is it lawful for a civilian operator to use a speed-measuring device to corroborate their personal prior opinion of excess speed?”

Note – Some safety camera partnerships use civilian operators to operate their camera vans and I do hope that they are well insured. rolleyes.gif
mikeyman
Mika,

I take it you need somebody who has received their summons and has a definite court case?

I would love to volunteer but I am still waiting for a summons so I don't think I will be much use to you yet.

Question: How do you know if your local scameraship is civilian operated icon_question.gif
Mika
Mike,

I should have explained that part. rolleyes.gif

As you say, we need someone with an ongoing case to introduce this argument in the Magistrates’ Court and then appeal the point of law to the High Court.

I would suggest that anyone caught on camera, asks the Camera Partnership for the evidence of the Police Officer involved in commencing the procedure. If this 'advance disclosure' is refused; then a phone call to the partnership should establish whether civilians are used as camera operators. icon_idea.gif
bulletmagnet
mika,

i've tried to pm you dont know if it worked. i know someone up in court in feb, she was definately clocked by a civvy and she'll be up for it.

pm me if your interested
Spoonman
My girlfriend would be up for it (she's up for anything icon_redface.gif ), but they haven't even sent the photos yet – so I guess we'll be too late for you.

Reason I know she'd be up for it because we've already discussed the role of a lone police officer being an 'expert witness'.

But a civilian alone in the back of his van? How can he make the initial judgement that the vehicle was travelling too fast in order to point the camera?

EDIT: Just found out it wasn't a civvy operator, more's the pity. I was convinced it would be. Sorry chaps.rolleyes.gif

Someone else please take it up – it looks like a winner.
bulletmagnet
mika,

ive sent you an email
mrwonderful
Hello everyone again!

QUOTE (Mika)
Hi all,

We need someone, who is currently being prosecuted for speeding by the evidence of a civilian operator, to help us to appeal the following point of law to the High Court:

“Is it lawful for a civilian operator to use a speed-measuring device to corroborate their personal prior opinion of excess speed?”

Note – Some safety camera partnerships use civilian operators to operate their camera vans and I do hope that they are well insured. rolleyes.gif

Mika,

I am still fighting a case and as you may or may not know I have sent off a "Norfolk" letter (suitably modified, of course) and am still waiting for a reply.

I was lasertec 20-20ed. How do I do this to find out whether in my case a civilian was used? Any comments regarding this point, welcome.

I have a question. How long should I wait before getting a reply before I have to have a letter from the Chief Police Constable/scamera partnership saying to the effect something along the lines of, "...we are therefore no longer persuing this (your) caser any further..."?

If not how do you know when a Police force/scamera partnership has decided you are no longer worth persuing?

Keep on keeping on...
box
I have wondered about the legallity of using a civillian, I have asked the CPS in my case to confirm whether the operator was a police officer or a civillian but so far they have not replied.

My court case is this Friday, and so this is certainly one point I will wish to qualify. I just hope its a civillian, cos if it is and the case goes against me, then certainly this could be the basis of an appeal.
Mika
Hi all,

Volunteer found. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.