Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parking eye at motorway services
FightBack Forums > Queries > Private Parking Tickets & Clamping
Steveanbarb
Hi all,
Any help would be great.
Stopped at Hopwood service station on the M42, and overstayed my free parking period of 2 hours by 32 mins. I have now received a parking charge notice for £100. However the letter has been sent to my previous address as I have recently moved home.
What can I do about this ticket, can it just be ignored or do I have to respond to it.
Personally I think it's daylight robbery, £100 for a half hour parking, they have no chance of getting that out of me.
What's the best course of action here.
Any help please
Regards
nigelbb
It is daylight robbery. There is no basis for their speculative invoice. Don't worry you don't need to pay it. It is not a 'fine' or 'parking ticket' It's just a fake made to look like one to try & scare you into paying their outrageous demand. Take a look at the sticky here to get some background. http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=46975

You will need to provide full details of what happened plus upload scans or photos of both sides of the notice that you received with all identifying details redacted.

As a matter of interest why did you spend so long in a motorway service area? Were you dawdling over your meal or were you having a kip in the car because you had a long drive? If the latter it would be a very interesting argument to raise that you were resting for driver safety reasons. Is there any facility for paying for parking after the two hour limit? Photos of any signs would be great if you can get them.
Steveanbarb
Thanks for the encouragement.
I will upload the photos tonite when I have some more time.
As to what happened. Well the wife was on a training course up the road and we had been stopping at a local hotel. Unfortunately they had no late checkouts available so I had a couple of hours to kill. Called in to the service station and bought some stuff for the journey home and stopped to have a Starbucks and a read of the paper.
It wasn't until I left that I seen the 2 hour parking limit sign.
Anyway the charge has been sent to my old address and was issued on the 17/03/13. I only got it today.
So any 14 day reduction has been missed, not that I was going to pay anyway.
Should I ignore it and let them keep sending letters to wrong address, or send some reply, which lets the know where I live now.
If I reply, how do I word the reply.
Thanks again
nigelbb
The notice will have been sent to the address of the registered keeper that they obtained from the DVLA. You need to get their records updated to reflect your new address.
paulajayne
Ignore it, it is not a fine.

But get your V5 (log Book) updated with your new address with the DVLA.
nigelbb
The basis on which they contact you as the registered keeper is under the PoFA 2012 but they have to stick exactly to the rules e.g. if they didn't stick a ticket on the car then they must send the Notice to Keeper out with 14 days.

Here is the DfT explanation of the PoFA 2012 as it applies to Unpaid Parking Charges https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/syste...ing-charges.pdf The PPCs like to pretend that the PoFA gives them some legitimacy but it doesn't it only allows them to ask the Registered Keeper to pay their parking charge when they don't know who the driver was.

The PPCs must also abide by the British Parking Association Code Of Practice http://www.britishparking.co.uk/write/Docu...ice_2013_v1.pdf

In every case that I have seen either the signs or the tickets are not compliant in some way with the CoP.

The PPCs claim is that you entered into a contract by reading their signs & then parking. They also try & claim that the £100 is a charge for parking when clearly it is not as it's a penalty for breach of contract which unrecoverable in English law. They are only due recompense for any losses which is why I asked if there was the possibility of buying a ticket if you were staying more than two hours. If there wasn't then their only loss in a free car park is £0.
Steveanbarb
Hi mate,
As I said, there was a notice, which I seen when leaving. It did say extra parking would be £10, I think. Never really took that much notice really. Can't really check now as I live in Newcastle, bit far to find out.
Still don't know weather I should ignore the charge notice or not, anybody know what's best action.
Regards
SchoolRunMum
QUOTE (Steveanbarb @ Fri, 22 Mar 2013 - 18:06) *
Hi mate,
As I said, there was a notice, which I seen when leaving. It did say extra parking would be £10, I think. Never really took that much notice really. Can't really check now as I live in Newcastle, bit far to find out.
Still don't know weather I should ignore the charge notice or not, anybody know what's best action.
Regards

Yep, the options are fully discussed here and mostly discussing Parking Eye:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=77301

Read the whole thrad and I would recommend the approach followed by 'victim 2' in Broadsword's post #62. Do a legal challenge full of questions as discussed there, and wait for PE to fail to answer your questions and to fail to give you a POPLA code...do not prompt them for it...
Steveanbarb
Cheers mate, will do that.
Thanks very much for the help
onesizefitzhall
QUOTE (Steveanbarb @ Fri, 22 Mar 2013 - 14:56) *
Thanks for the encouragement.
I will upload the photos tonite when I have some more time.
As to what happened. Well the wife was on a training course up the road and we had been stopping at a local hotel. Unfortunately they had no late checkouts available so I had a couple of hours to kill. Called in to the service station and bought some stuff for the journey home and stopped to have a Starbucks and a read of the paper.
It wasn't until I left that I seen the 2 hour parking limit sign.
Anyway the charge has been sent to my old address and was issued on the 17/03/13. I only got it today.
So any 14 day reduction has been missed, not that I was going to pay anyway.
Should I ignore it and let them keep sending letters to wrong address, or send some reply, which lets the know where I live now.
If I reply, how do I word the reply.
Thanks again

Wait if it was issued on the 17/3/2013 and it says you no longer have the reduced amount (5 days later!!) then the ppc has broken the BPA code of practice??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.