Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No insurance or licence.
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
halfabrian
I was caught last week driving without insurance. I am not going to lie. I realised I was doing this and as I was unsure on how I stood on claiming money back from insurance after cancelling after I sold the car (planned for the end of feb when mot and tax runs out) the truth is I took the chance. Naive as this is going to sound I and no idea that it was a six point penalty and thought it was a fine. If I had realised that was the case I would never have done it. But I took the chance and its my own fault so I have no complaints except at myself.

I was flashed by a static car on the motorway by a ANPR camera. He pulled me over and siad without insurance he had to get my car towed and impounded. He also informed me that my licence has been revoked at the end of december for a speeding fine. I got three points in november and sent it off shortly after. However it hasnt got there so they revoked it and I have had to reapply. This has not cost me anything financially but in the mean time I can not get my car till my licence is unrevoked. I have been told by the dvla this can be up to three weeks. In the mean time I am out £20 a day.

My question is is there ANYTHING at all I can do to speed the process? I have spoke to insurance companies, several people at the dvla, the garage who have my car, several different police people and they all tell me something different but the bottom line is it seems I just have to wait. I cant get anyone else to pick up the car as the car has to be insured. I cant get insured until I have a licence.

Can anyone please help. Thanks.
sgtdixie
The only way to get the car back is to produce a valid D/L and insurance. Your 2 choices are to wait until you get the licence back and get it insured, or sell it to someone who can produce the docs. There is no short cut I am afraid.
halfabrian
So basically I have to transfer it to someone else so they are the legal owner and then THEY can get insurance on the vehicle? It appears the owner of the vehicle MUST have the main policy. I tried to get it sorted this week but when they go through the checks they ask the insurance company do you know that the licence was revoked which of course makes the policy void.
glasgow_bhoy
Get insurance, and put a named driver onto the policy who can pick the car up.
halfabrian
QUOTE (glasgow_bhoy @ Thu, 21 Feb 2013 - 23:18) *
Get insurance, and put a named driver onto the policy who can pick the car up.

That wont work. As when the police go to check my policy with the insurance company they will ask the question "Do you know the policy holders licence is revoked" and when they say no my policy becomes invalid for me and any named driver. If I tell the insurance company about my current revocation before hand they simply will not grant me insurance in the first place.
AFCNEAL
Then change title of the car as advised and the new owner insures?
mrh3369
Seems the easiest way.
halfabrian
QUOTE (AFCNEAL @ Fri, 22 Feb 2013 - 15:25) *

QUOTE (mrh3369 @ Fri, 22 Feb 2013 - 15:49) *
Seems the easiest way.

This seems like my only option. But then I worry if I am going to sell the car at the end of the month then it looks very dodgy it having changed hands twice or at least once the week before.
StuartBu
QUOTE (halfabrian @ Fri, 22 Feb 2013 - 17:46) *
QUOTE (AFCNEAL @ Fri, 22 Feb 2013 - 15:25) *

QUOTE (mrh3369 @ Fri, 22 Feb 2013 - 15:49) *
Seems the easiest way.

This seems like my only option. But then I worry if I am going to sell the car at the end of the month then it looks very dodgy it having changed hands twice or at least once the week before.

All you can do is be upfront to the prospective buyer as to why.
the_devil
People, including the Police, confuse owhnership with registered keeper. There is nothing to stop you being the registered keeper if ownership is with someone else. Provide an invoice and receipt, on pieces of paper, to provide a trail. Again, there is nothing to stop the owner asking you to keep the car whilst they are an occasional driver.

So the new owner (a mate or family member) can insure the car until someone can get the car back from the pound. The new owner can then sell the car on whenever they like. No need to have another registered keeper with the DVLA.
AFCNEAL
QUOTE (the_devil @ Sat, 23 Feb 2013 - 11:42) *
People, including the Police, confuse owhnership with registered keeper. There is nothing to stop you being the registered keeper if ownership is with someone else. Provide an invoice and receipt, on pieces of paper, to provide a trail. Again, there is nothing to stop the owner asking you to keep the car whilst they are an occasional driver.

So the new owner (a mate or family member) can insure the car until someone can get the car back from the pound. The new owner can then sell the car on whenever they like. No need to have another registered keeper with the DVLA.

As per the above. Some insurers don't like insuring cars where the policy holder isn't the RK, but numerous others don't mind so shop around if necessary and watch out for stupid cancellation charges if whoever insures it intends to cancel later on!
sgtdixie
To get the car back, whoever does this will need proof of ownership (if not the person named on the seizure form) a full UK D/L and insurance for that vehicle in the name of the person collection.

In a case such as this whilst the Police do understand the difference between registered keeper and owner, they also know drivers in this situation often claim to have sold the vehicle, get someone else to get short term insurance then when the vehicle is recovered simply take back possession and continue to drive illegally. As such when the OP and friend turn up expect the Police to be very sceptical.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.