Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PPCs in N.Ireland
FightBack Forums > Queries > Private Parking Tickets & Clamping
SevenTowers
I visited Cityside Retail Park (Yorkgate) in Belfast, the car park was queued out but there is a paved area just at the entrance, so I pulled up onto the paved area, alongside 2 other cars already there. When I came out 30 minutes later I had a ticket from UKPC for £90, or £54 if paid in 14 days.

My first thought was "it's a fair cop guv" but there is no way I'm paying you more money than I would have to pay a proper warden issued ticket, I considered making an offer of partial payment until I read the forums on mse, cag and here. I now realise that the paved area is their "barrel" for shooting fish like me!

Now that I'm wise to their [Mod edit] I have of course no intention of paying them a penny and I'm looking forward to all those colourful letters arriving :-) There are however a couple of things that I'm curious about.

On the ticket my number plate was correctly recorded but the colour listed was completely wrong, and the vehicle brand was left completely blank. [Mod edit]. Has anybody else found this?

According to the N.Ireland DVA, UKPC are not amongst the companies who receive data electronically - so how are they going to get my details?

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/informati...information.htm

Finally, does anybody have any knowledge of any court proceedings for any PPC taking place in N.Ireland? I ask this because (for some stupid reason) N. Ireland has completely different legislation than England & Wales, and Scotland. Whilst the laws are broadly similar, POFA and POPLA don't apply. I would be amazed if any PPC has tried to go through the N.Ireland courts, but you never know what these [Mod edit] will try on.
Glacier2
I have never heard of a case going to court in NI.
Basfordlad
ukpc dont do court so you have no worry there

Well they did themselves get convicted in Hull Crown Court but thats another story.....
minotaur
Not that it matters but make and colour are apparently irrelevant even for "real" (local authority) tickets.
bama
According to the N.Ireland DVA, UKPC are not amongst the companies who receive data electronically - so how are they going to get my details?

So IF they write post back here as it could be get interesting finding out how they got the RK details....
TRX75
QUOTE (bama @ Tue, 12 Feb 2013 - 14:44) *

So IF they write post back here as it could be get interesting finding out how they got the RK details....

Is the use of the electronic link compulsory for all BPA AOS members? My reading of the DVLA Website suggests it isn't and written applications can be made on form V888/3, but I'm happy to be corrected.
Those car parking companies wishing to request and receive data electronically must firstly serve a six month probationary period making manual request only.

As this case refers to Northern Ireland, the Guidance Notes on Form V888/3 (NI) state:
Applicants who require electronic access to data will need to apply for ‘Approved Conditional Access’ status, be a member of an Accredited Trade Association, or a regulatory body and have signed up to their code of practice.

which again, to me, suggests the use of the electronic link is not compulsory.

It's noticeable that the very first item in the Guidance Notes reads:
Companies and landowners that require vehicle keeper information to enforce penalty charge notices should complete this form.

SevenTowers
QUOTE (Glacier2 @ Tue, 12 Feb 2013 - 00:47) *
I have never heard of a case going to court in NI.

It looks like no PPC has ever taken a case to court in N.Ireland, so that will be another point to put to the DVA

I think TRX has just answered that question below, it seems like anybody at all can just bang in a manual request and with very little by way of checking, they have your details. This is a disgraceful situation.

QUOTE (TRX75 @ Tue, 12 Feb 2013 - 19:53) *

Is the use of the electronic link compulsory for all BPA AOS members? My reading of the DVLA Website suggests it isn't and written applications can be made on form V888/3, but I'm happy to be corrected.
Those car parking companies wishing to request and receive data electronically must firstly serve a six month probationary period making manual request only.

As this case refers to Northern Ireland, the Guidance Notes on Form V888/3 (NI) state:
Applicants who require electronic access to data will need to apply for ‘Approved Conditional Access’ status, be a member of an Accredited Trade Association, or a regulatory body and have signed up to their code of practice.

which again, to me, suggests the use of the electronic link is not compulsory.

It's noticeable that the very first item in the Guidance Notes reads:
Companies and landowners that require vehicle keeper information to enforce penalty charge notices should complete this form.

Thanks for uncovering this frankly unbelievable situation, the form even asks "Please attach evidence that a penalty charge scheme is
in operation" You couldn't make this up!
bama
If they make a paper request you can get copies of all the paperwork they submitted smile.gif
TRX75
QUOTE (SevenTowers @ Tue, 12 Feb 2013 - 21:06) *
it seems like anybody at all can just bang in a manual request and with very little by way of checking, they have your details. This is a disgraceful situation.

The DVLA claim (see this reply to an FOI request in August 2012)
We carry out 30 separate checks on the validity of a company and its directors prior to a company being allowed to request data from us. There has recently been a review of the release of data to car parking management companies, and this has resulted in increased checks and higher assurance that our data is only released to reputable companies.

One of those checks is a Companies House check but, as can be seen from the TCP Naughties thread that's complete tosh! it seems that the DVLA sometimes fails to complete this procedure.

QUOTE (bama @ Tue, 12 Feb 2013 - 21:08) *
If they make a paper request you can get copies of all the paperwork they submitted smile.gif

Yeah, right! smile.gif

I can't find it just now, but there was a case here recently where a poster had requested information about DVLA providing his details to a PPC. The DVLA refused to provide a copy of the PPC/Landowner agreement, as required by form V888/3, saying only that they'd had sight of it. I got the impression this was par for the course but I might be mistaken about that.

Clarity
I suffered the delights of Anchor Parking in a car park near the one you got nabbed in.
Took about a year for the requests to stop but they gave up in the end.

Best advice is to keep the paperwork but ignore them and keep your nerve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.