Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: M8 J14-15 63mph in a 50mph
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
DD62
Hi all, Newbie here wondering where I stand with respect to my Fixed Penalty received today.

I was travelling on the M80 Westbound at 50mph (Speed Limit), I joined the M8 at J14 and began to increase speed to 70mph as I assumed (incorrectly) that the limit had increased to the national limit on joining the new motorway. I had increased speed to 63mph when I noticed a sign saying 50mph, at this time I reduced to 50mph using my cruise control remained at 50mph. It was at this point I noticed a police vehicle behind me and didn't think anything of it, they followed me (continuing at 50mph cruise control) until I was stopped between J18 and J19.

I have been given a Notice of Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty (3 points and £60) for 'Driving at 64MPH on a 50MPH speed limit M8 Westbound J14-J15'

Now, I know I did wrong and the ticket is correct but I was wondering how I would stand if I provide mitigation considering that I made the correction on seeing the limit sign. The officers who charged me did agree with me when I was in the back of their car that I had reduced to 50mph for a considerable time and i was not driving dangerously or recklessly. I believe I had only momentarily inadvertently gone beyond the speed limit but made the necessary correction upon realising my mistake.

Please can anyone advise as I feel I have been harshly dealt with as in my eyes I made an honest mistake.
Jlc
Either pay the fixed penalty or ask the magistrate if he agrees with your assertion.

Annoying that it is, exceeding the limit even for a moment (i.e. overtaking, honest mistake) then the offence is complete.

Pay the FP.
StuartBu
Can't help your query but J14 is Blochairn I think and 18-19 is getting close to approaching the Kingston Bridge ..I was wondering why they waited so long to stop you .
DD62
StuartBu, you are correct it's around 3.5 miles from point to point and I was wondering the same thing myself. When they were behind me during all that time I remained at the 50mph on my cruise control.

JIc, I am guilty even though it was an honest mistake and will probably pay the FP but I was just wondering how a mitigation would stand up and whether anyone in here had any success stories regarding this or are we onto a loser.
southpaw82
I very much doubt you will be able to mitigate the fine to below £60. The points are obligatory unless there exist special reasons not to endorse and your mitigation doesn't even come close.
DD62
Many thanks southpaw82. Looks like I'll have to take my punishment! angry6.gif The annoying thing was the cars that were overtaking us while I was being followed!
sgtdixie
Once they had evidence you had committed the offence they would either be looking for a safe place to stop you or doing checks on your vehicle prior to stopping you.

The latter is the most likely.

By your won admission you committed the offence. £60 and 3 points is by far and away the best result you will get. As for them not stopping other cars, why would they. They were in the process of dealing with you even when following you as they were in all likelyhood doing checks.
Logician
Your mitigation does not mitigate - why would you assume the limit had increased without seeing a sign indicating that? That will cut no ice, the fixed penalty is the best option you will get.
DD62
Many thanks for all the replies.

I'll do my time and pay the fine! sad.gif
Jlc
QUOTE (DD62 @ Mon, 11 Feb 2013 - 11:51) *
I'll do my time and pay the fine! sad.gif

FWIW I do agree it's harsh but we're just pointing out the reality. There will be 1,000's doing the same and much worse without being caught.
glasgow_bhoy
Agreed- 63/64 is harsh, especially given most cars (certainly later at night) don't do much below 70 for parts of that 50. Same goes for on the M80- very few seem to stick to the 50 after dark.

For what its worth, on the M8 there seem to be specific points they stop drivers at- almost religously, the only places they pull people over seem to be just at the underpass at Charing X, after the Kingston Bridge, just before the motorway merges with traffic coming from Tradeston/M74, and then the next point is the first right bend into the 70 after Govan (they laser people from the bridge who speed up too early for the 50... sneaky gits)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.