Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: G24 Charge notice - they're ignoring us
FightBack Forums > Queries > Private Parking Tickets & Clamping
Nozza
My wife used a car parkis run by G24. It's a shop carpark but you can pay to park for longer too. The system has you use your mobile phone to access an automated system which takes your credit card details and number plate. She did this 3 or 4 times over a week or so. We got charge notice letters so checked the credit card bill and could see the payments to G24 on the relevant days. We replied to them to let them know Also the photos were not clear enough to even read the numberplates on the car so no way could we pay them anyway but that is very much a side issue I believe. Anyway we think that what she did was to enter the number plate in wrong. Our number has Zeros and Os on it so it's easily done. We replied to the second letter explaining this was probably the reason for the error and that they had the money and they should check their accounts to verify this.

The result?

We're just getting their standard letter chain. No reply to our letters or 2 emails. I asked them to refer the matter to POPLA in an email but no response.

I'm intending just to ignore them. I'd love it to go to court but I doubt it will. But can they just ignore our correspondence and keep harrassing my wife for money? Do they not HAVE to refer us to POPLA?

Cheers

N
ManxRed
If they don't give you the code within 35 days of your first 'appeal' the matter is closed. You could wait until such time has elapsed and then write to them notifying them that they have been deemed to accept your appeal and the matter is closed. You could also put them on notice that any further letters would be construed as harassment and you reserve the right to bring a claim against both them and the landowner under the Protection From Harassment Act 1997.

Or you could just safely ignore them.
jpm321
Hi

Have a look at my post from earlier this week regarding G24

I have sent a complaint to the BPA and DVLA requesting G24 be suspended from DVLA RK detail access, this is what they did to CPS, VP, Excel and others

My complaint has been acepted by both BPA and DVLA, I also understand someone else made a complaint this week to DVLA regarding G24 so you should do the same and make it 3 in one week

you can do it by email and email the following

Kevin.watts@dvla.gsi.gov.uk
peter.b@britishparking.co.uk (this is Peter Beasley)
also Cc robert.t@dvla.gsi.gov.uk

make sure you include any corrsipondance between you and G24 and also mention the following in you email ...

I would like to draw your attention to the following paragraph from the new BPA CoP;

22.12 If you reject a challenge you must: (my emphasis and underline)

• tell the driver how to make an appeal to POPLA. This includes providing a template ‘notice of appeal’ form, or a link to the appropriate website for lodging an appeal

As no such information has been provided, G24 have once again failed to comply with the BPA CoP and I expect the DVLA to take immediate action and suspend them from accessing registered keeper data.

you must do this now to make a difference and stop G24
Jlc
QUOTE (jpm321 @ Fri, 18 Jan 2013 - 13:05) *
you must do this now to make a difference and stop G24

+1

brave.gif
Nozza
I certainly will make those complaints. Their behaviour is appalling and they're not fit to be in a position to be given address details by DVLA.

But get this....

I've literally just picked up a letter from the doormat from G24. It says:

"Thank you for your letter

The vehicle you have paid for is XXXXXXXX and the correct vehicle reg is YYYYYYYY.

A parking Charge Notice has been issued as the reg number has been entered incorrectly.

As a gesture of goodwill we can reduce the amount to £15.00 to cover the cost which has been incurred by G24 in issuing the PCN

Please go online onto your RingGo account and change your registration number. If you do not you will continue to receive PCNs.

G24 Ltd"

What a bunch of jokers! I know their job is to coerce people into paying money but this takes the biscuit.

Concrete Jungle
So the cost of issuing a PCN is only £15, not the higher amount G24 claim it is! I would still be complaining to the BPA and DVLA!
Nozza
QUOTE (Concrete Jungle @ Fri, 18 Jan 2013 - 15:43) *
So the cost of issuing a PCN is only £15, not the higher amount G24 claim it is! I would still be complaining to the BPA and DVLA!

OK. But exactly what do I complain about now?

Is it worth replying to this and if so how?

BTW, anyone who is dealing with G24 and wants copy of my letter stating that the costs of issuing a PCN is £15 just let me know.
Jlc
Tell them your time and hassle has cost you £15 - call it quits...
Concrete Jungle
Please do post up a copy of the letter with all your details and any PCN numbers / ref numbers blanked out. I would still complain as per jpm321 explains in the post made previously. See this link to another thread on G24 started by jpm321 http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=76034&hl=
Nozza
Here is the letter, redacted. As you can see the number plate looks like it was entered wrong by a 0 instead of an O

Hmm - how do I attach the image?!

The Rookie
Use an image hosting site like photobucket or imageshack - it's all in the FAQ
Mr Rusty
As a gesture of goodwill we can reduce the amount to £15.00 to cover the cost which has been incurred by G24 in issuing the PCN

How interesting. The cost of issuing a PCN is £15. Actually, that's almost believable and adds a lot of weight to the argument that the much higher "charges" are illegal penalties! As someone mentioned elsewhere, even if (and it's a ginormous IF) the £100's were agreed contract costs, this puts it in the same place as all the unfair bank charges which were also so called agreed contract rates. All refunded because they were unfair contract terms and didn't reflect the "real cost" of the service and hence were penalties!!
bama
£15 to issue the PCN
More like 15p
Glacier2
£2.50 to the DVLA
44p odd to Royal Mail
25p for stationary

£3.19 by my calculations.
The Rookie
Small amount of tubby's time plus a supply of pies....£4?

Nice to have the letter on record though in case they ever take it to court ...asuming they go the loss or damages route not contractual.
jpm321
During my case with NCP the Judge accepted that the real loss to NCP was the £12.90 it costs them to issue ticket, contact DVLA and send few letters as most of these companies are using contractors to do so , as in NCP they use a company to do this therefore there is a premium

However the Judge dd disregard their claim of £75 per ticket and would only concider the £12.90

In the end in a feeble attempt to try and win, NCP reduced their claim from £75 per ticket to £9.00 per ticket during the trial but they lost anyway

so although we see a letter and £2.50 for DVLA I think we need to be relistic but anything over £10-15 is for profit
Nozza
I wrote to them rejecting the "gesture of goodwill" now have received another letter.

This one states that they have provided evidence the car was parked in excess time and a breach of "contractual terms and conditions" was made.
They say the terms were on the sign. The letter then makes the usual threats re: interest, debt collectors and county

I've now asked them to provide me with the exact term that was breached. I cannot work out which term is in breach since they demand payment and payment was made.
The Slithy Tove
QUOTE (Nozza @ Fri, 25 Jan 2013 - 12:17) *
This one states that they have provided evidence the car was parked in excess time and a breach of "contractual terms and conditions" was made.

That would be a good one to proceed to POPLA. They seem bent on the "it's in the contract, it's not a penalty" approach. Yet here you have proof that you have broken an alleged contract, and thus what they are asking for can only be a penalty. Watch them tie themselves in knots (or, more likely, insist that breaching a contract term is applying the contract itself).
jpm321
Pleaase contact Peter Beasley and the other people mentioned in my earlier post ASAP
G24 have done the same to me

issued ticket for "Leaving the car park" not mentioned on the T&C
notice to keeper "unautorised parking " so change of offence
reply to my appeal "Overstay" which funny enough is on the T&C

I have raised this with BPA and DVLA , (dvla as they chasing me the RK and not looking for driver)

you have to complain to BPA now as advised last week, if you want this sorted out the more people that complain the better and when the complaints are for roughly the same thing then theres no defence from G24
Nozza
The end result of all this was that the 3 penalty charges were dropped.

G24 never gave me a POPLA reference, never responded to the points I made, never answered the question as to which contractual term on their sign was supposedly being broken and never accepted their system is at fault. All these did was repeatedly threaten us and demand more money.

I eventually went to Toys R Us who own the car park and pointed out that their name was on these penalty notices and so they could not pretend it had nothing to do with them. Actually the guy there was pretty reasonable once he got passed the "I need receipts to prove you were shopping with us" line. I can't be 100% sure because of course G24 didn't lower themselves to give a reason for cancelling the fines but I think it was mostly pressure from them.

One silly aspect of this is that the car park is actually quite convenient for my wife's work and she would be happy to pay G24 their daily rate to park there a few days a week. If she did this, they'd make hundreds of pounds a year from her. Funnily enough she will never park in that car park again. So G24 are the losers here. They've cut off their nose to spite their face.
Jlc
They're not interested in collecting daily parking rates. They want their £60/£90/whatever for not parking with your valves at 37 degrees from upright.
AyeAre
QUOTE (jpm321 @ Fri, 18 Jan 2013 - 13:05) *
I have sent a complaint to the BPA and DVLA requesting G24 be suspended from DVLA RK detail access, this is what they did to CPS, VP, Excel and others

My complaint has been acepted by both BPA and DVLA, I also understand someone else made a complaint this week to DVLA regarding G24 so you should do the same and make it 3 in one week

you can do it by email and email the following

Kevin.watts@dvla.gsi.gov.uk
peter.b@britishparking.co.uk (this is Peter Beasley)
also Cc robert.t@dvla.gsi.gov.uk

I am preparing a complaint about Gemini Parking Solutions and their requirement for a stamped envelope and payment with appeal.

Would these be the right people for that too? I tweeted the DVLA but they ignored me.

The Slithy Tove
QUOTE (AyeAre @ Tue, 19 Feb 2013 - 09:47) *
I am preparing a complaint about Gemini Parking Solutions and their requirement for a stamped envelope and payment with appeal.

Would these be the right people for that too? I tweeted the DVLA but they ignored me.

Tweets are not the way to get a specific issue raised. You need to write to a specific person or department, either email or even a real letter in the post.

Looks like Gemini are in breach of BPA CoP for wanting payment with appeal, so definitely raise it with DVLA, showing how they are in breach, and that such cavalier behaviour should not allow them access to their database.
AyeAre
QUOTE (The Slithy Tove @ Tue, 19 Feb 2013 - 11:27) *
QUOTE (AyeAre @ Tue, 19 Feb 2013 - 09:47) *

Tweets are not the way to get a specific issue raised. You need to write to a specific person or department, either email or even a real letter in the post.

Looks like Gemini are in breach of BPA CoP for wanting payment with appeal, so definitely raise it with DVLA, showing how they are in breach, and that such cavalier behaviour should not allow them access to their database.

I know that, thanks, I tweeted them asking where to write.
bama
Mike Butler

his email address is on here
jpm321
My complaints go via email and do get responses , get a read receipt !

mike.butler@dvla.gsi.gov.uk
AyeAre
Thanks.

Guess I should go via BPA first, at least then I get tell the DVLA they aren't policing the situation properly.
jpm321
One email ALL recipiants

make sure it stays that way, as names will get dropped off
AyeAre
Is there no merit in the fact that it will have more weight with the DVLA if I have already been through the BPA process and shown it to be inadequate?
jpm321
They do communicate with each over any way, so may as well send 1 email to all involved

But thats my opinion
tapas600
QUOTE (jpm321 @ Tue, 19 Feb 2013 - 14:12) *
They do communicate with each over any way, so may as well send 1 email to all involved

But thats my opinion

This will also put extra pressure on the culprits, because the audience is wide, they cannot quietly wriggle their 4rses out of it.
JagDriver
And certainly wouldn't want to be caught lying, which is what would normally happen.
tapas600
QUOTE (JagDriver @ Wed, 20 Feb 2013 - 08:31) *
And certainly wouldn't want to be caught lying, which is what would normally happen.

I would also blind copy (Bcc) a media organisation, a paper or a tele programme. If they see how things develop they might want to step in and do an investigative article/programme.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.