Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New driver speeding help please.
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
stressedoutmummy
No excuse at all but having been up all night with littlest DD being ill hubby got flashed doing 40 in a 30 early this morning. Now I'm very hot on speeding and I'm trying my hardest not to go off on one at him but being sleep deprived its proving difficult.

To add to the fact that he is either going to be fined and have points and more insurance or a course if he is very very lucky he hasn't even been driving a year yet

He passed in dec last year but I have a feeling that this is going to be very expensive.

Anyone know what the likely penalty will be ?

If he is offered the course do you still tell the insurance company?

He is a named driver on my insurance is it likely to be a huge increase do you think?

Thank you in advance x
Mr Rusty
As a new driver he can still get up to 6 points in the first 2 years and then he has to retake the test. However, 40 in a 30 is likely going to mean a fixed penalty of 3 points and a £60 fine. Possibly he will get a speed awareness course. Most insurance companies don't penalise 3 points for a first offence - I just tried it on gocompare while looking for a requote, but this may be slightly different for new drivers. Also at present most insurance companies don't bother at all about speed awareness courses, although there has been a bit of (bad) press lately that one of them might. Don't get too stressed. Millions of people get 3 points - it isn't a big deal, but will make him drive extra careful for the next year!
Logician
No doubt he is suffering enough already, no need for you to add to it! If he was flashed today, it is not even certain that anything will come of this, particularly with the older installations there are a lot more housings than cameras, which are moved around.

He does not yet know what speed he was measured at, if at all. Courses are offered at up to 42 in a 30 limit so he should be in line for one, if it was 40 as he believes. Most areas in England/Wales are part of a national scheme, but no courses are on offer in Scotland. Failing a course, he should be offered a fixed penalty of £60 plus 3 points.

What he has to tell the insurance company delends on what his policy says, the same applies to your policy. Most insurance companies do not ask about attendance on courses but some have started to do so, Admiral for one. Some insurers require immediate notification, with others it is on renewal, so he needs to read the policy.

You can get an idea of any effect on the insurance by getting quotes on the internet, with and without points.

If and when he gets a NIP, post here again with full details.
monkey boy 1
My son passed his car test in April 2012, he also has 3 points and has been on a speed awareness course, (he got those on his motorbike before passing his car test) It made absolutly no difference to his insurance. Though he is a bit twitchy about any offence now as 3 more points will mean a retake of his test.
stressedoutmummy
Thanks Logician, Dont worry I have been very restrained wink.gif and at the very least it cancels out the parking ticket I got this time last year when closing the car door blew the ticket upside down lol.

Im hoping he did slightly less than he thought, is there a correlation between how long it takes the second flash to go off? apparently there was a noticeable delay as he slowed down the second he noticed the camera but of course not in time to stop it flashing. In any case he is certain he was under 40 but near it on the speedo.

Fingers crossed it had no film but at the very least its a wake up call that it could have been a kid walking out in the road not just a camera flashing and a financial loss.
x

Thanks Monkeyboy1 thats good to know. I might milk it for a bit though and see how many chocolates I can get out of him wink.gif

Thanks Mr_Rusty he is now going to be ultra careful which of course he should have been in the first place but at the end of the day it was a wake up call that it could have been worse if someone was hurt. x
The Rookie
Time between flashes is fixed and doesn't change because of speed, was the flash from the camera behind or in front?
stressedoutmummy
Hi again,
Just a quick update.

Having calmed my husband down now lol I have found out the camera was on the other side of the road facing him, the road was wide at about a lane and a half each side.

He has definitely triggered this camera unless it was one of those random flashes that dont seem to relate to anyone as he was the only one on the road.

Do you still get tickets for this or can they not measure you being on the wrong side of the road?

Just to confirm it wasnt in the center but the far side of the other side of the road.

Thank you smile.gif
x
The stretch where it happened, Gatso on right of picture pointing west, husband was on other side going east.

Jlc
They do flash being approached but are only approved for further action in the other direction.
The Rookie
When fitted with dummy flash units they are often set to flash approaching traffic as well as a scare tactic - IT WORKS!
stressedoutmummy
Phew thanks Guys, fingers crossed then all will be ok this time x
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.