Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: UKPC ticket
FightBack Forums > Queries > Private Parking Tickets & Clamping
rattyslane
I received a ticket on Monday 15th October and my query has received a reply attaching what they claim is their sign showing charges etc which is not the one displayed when I got my ticket. Does anyone have a picture of their sign please?
Gan
QUOTE (rattyslane @ Sat, 20 Oct 2012 - 08:42) *
I received a ticket on Monday 15th October and my query has received a reply attaching what they claim is their sign showing charges etc which is not the one displayed when I got my ticket. Does anyone have a picture of their sign please?

Ratty, could you start your own thread please ?

Regarding your question, if this has happened it would be a nice one to skewer them with.

By all means ask members to check for you but if you're going to make formal complaints about the company, as well as make the formal appeal to POPLA, you have to go back and take pictures yourself

Pity you contacted them first because the only serious sanction at the moment is getting companies banned for misusing DVLA database.
Lynnzer
QUOTE (Gan @ Sat, 20 Oct 2012 - 09:20) *

Regarding your question, if this has happened it would be a nice one to skewer them with.

By all means ask members to check for you but if you're going to make formal complaints about the company, as well as make the formal appeal to POPLA, you have to go back and take pictures yourself

Pity you contacted them first because the only serious sanction at the moment is getting companies banned for misusing DVLA database.

That's still an option.
rattyslane
QUOTE (Kickaha1968 @ Tue, 11 Sep 2012 - 12:41) *
Hi - need help urgently please! Thank you very much for reading!

A few days ago I parked in the Leisure Park carpark at Stevenage. (It's located betwen the cinema and the station.)

I've parked there many times before with no problems. But, being a cautious guy, I checked the signs before leaving my car. I could see no mention of car park charges etc, so thoguht I was safe.

I waited at the steps to the station for my friend and then we went to McDonalds (also in the Leisure Park).

Afterwards we returned to the car and found a parking ticket from UKPC, demanding £90 (£60 if paid in 14 days.) It said the ticket issuer had "reasonable cause to believe the vehicle owner had left the site."

I was amazed, and returned to the sign to see that it is, in fact, against the rules to leave the site. I think what happened is that as my car was parked all alone near the station exit, the ticket issuer assumed I had !!!!!!ed off to London for the day or gone into town shopping. (I've parked in the exact same space before with no ticket, but when the car park was much fuller. It seems that the "reasonable cause" depends as much on whether there are other folk using the car park as anything else, lol.)

My first reaction was dismay, as I just don't have that kind of money handy. However, after reading some online forums I have begun to be hopeful I can get out of this ticket. Any advice gratefully received!
(The 14-day period ends on Thursday.)

Is UKPC a provate bunch or somehow affiliated to local authority? Should I pay, or ignore, or appeal?

Extra info which may or may not help my cause if I appeal:

1. The friend I was meeting is an M.E. sufferer, who often, though not always, finds walking quite difficult. This is which is why I parked near the station exit. (In fact the reason we were meeting at all was so that she could pass me all the proof-of documentation for her medical condition, so I could drive it to our university for admin purposes.) As it turned out that day she was having a good day.

2. While we were in McDonalds, we witnessed an assault and I made a 999 call to report it to the police. After doing so, I spoke with the branch manager to give her a heads-up in case she needed to preserve CCTV footage.

3. The ticket itself is a mess. The issuer got the name of the vehicle manufactureer WRONG. Also, the ticket has been misaligned when printed, so that my registration number appears in the DATE box, the maximum parking charge is shown as the lower figure, and the get-off-lightly charge actually has nothing, lol. Significantly, the reference number for the ticket has been superimposed on the title on both the main ticket and the payment stub, making it genuinely unreadable. (Really! I'm not just exaggerating.)

4. I've been to the UKPC website and found it has a rather nifty feature where you can view any photographic evidence they took. I was slightly concerned they might actually have a photo of me with my foot on the wrong side of a line at the base of the station steps, lol.... but the site reports no photo held for my registration number.

5. According to the UKPC website, "Unauthorised or inconsiderate parking, such as misuse of disabled bays, or overstaying the permitted time can cause considerable nuisance to other motorists and can result in economic loss for the land owner. In such instances, private car parking management companies can claim ‘reasonable cause’ and request that we release personal data so that they can trace the keeper of any vehicle contravening the parking restrictions."
It seems to me that as the carpark was deserted I could have gone to Mars and still not be liable to having my details legitimately requested.

Any and all constructive advice much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I need help - the Facilities Management Company of this site claim that UKPC say the new UKPC signage showing charges of £90 charge and saying you WILL be charged if you leave site at all, have been displayed in the Car Park since August, which is not the case as I read a different sign on both 13th and 15th October. Can anyone else please back me up by saying they have also seen the other signs there more recently please. The one I saw had a Different logo at the top, was smaller than the UKPC ones and did not have charges shown on them and said 'may be liable for a parking fee). Thanks

His email address is: Matthew.Chambers@eu.jll.com
Concrete Jungle
Keep everything you get in the post together in a safe place and ignore. Have a read of this if you like.

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=at...st&id=16231
Gan
QUOTE (Concrete Jungle @ Tue, 23 Oct 2012 - 09:34) *
Keep everything you get in the post together in a safe place and ignore. Have a read of this if you like.

Please read it right to the end because it's an absolute classic

Absolutely slams into the company for bringing a case when they have no legal right to.

I love the bit at the end where he tells the lawyer that it's contempt of court and if there are any more claims she'd better bring her toothbrush.

Why did you contact the Facilities Management instead of following the advice you were given to ignore UKPC ?
Lynnzer
QUOTE (Concrete Jungle @ Tue, 23 Oct 2012 - 09:34) *

I notice at the beginning of the court hearing stuff that there's an audio recording of the session by J.L. Harpham Limited, Official Court Reporters and Tape Transcribers.
I wonder....
Any chance of this being released to the general pepipooers public?
rattyslane
Gan - I did this before I found this forum unfortunately.
Gan
QUOTE (rattyslane @ Tue, 23 Oct 2012 - 10:55) *
Gan - I did this before I found this forum unfortunately.

Apologies

Your original post was very detailed and I thought this was new information
bargepole
QUOTE (Lynnzer @ Tue, 23 Oct 2012 - 10:46) *
I notice at the beginning of the court hearing stuff that there's an audio recording of the session by J.L. Harpham Limited, Official Court Reporters and Tape Transcribers.
I wonder....
Any chance of this being released to the general pepipooers public?

No, they don't do that. The official reporters type up the transcript from the audio tape, then send it to the Judge for any amendments, before the paper copy is released to whoever paid for it. The audio tapes are then kept archived away.
pressandgo
Brilliant link - really enjoyed the read.
rattyslane
QUOTE (Lynnzer @ Sat, 20 Oct 2012 - 10:24) *
QUOTE (Gan @ Sat, 20 Oct 2012 - 09:20) *

That's still an option.

Can you help a new poster please, why has this been taken off the original thread that started by Kickaha 1968 regarding a ticket from Stevenage Leisure Park the same as mine? Thanks
Gan
You might have mis-typed because your question isn't clear

If you mean that Kickaha's thread doesn't mention signs, you're missing the point of what the judge was saying

He's saying that parking companies are simply contractors and have no legal right to claim money from car park users
This basic principle applies to every company and every ticket

He was so angry that :

He wanted a statement from the director explaining his company's conduct
He was going to alert all the court's to the company's behaviour
He wanted any previous judgements in favour of the company set aside
The untruths in the company's case were so serious it amounted to contempt of court
If the lawyer turned up again with a claim that was such an abuse of the court process she would be going to jail

Most targets of a parking company cave in when they get court papers or reply with a weak "not the driver" defence
This target had done his homework and gave the judge the opportunity to consider the genuine legal issues.

It's basically the defence that the forum provides for the few OPs that find themselves in this position.
Faced with it, with only a couple of exceptions, companies back down
rattyslane
Now I am totally confused - I started posting on the forum started by Kickaha about his ticket issued by UKPC at Stevenage Leisure Park and I now find that my posts have been put into a separate thread headed - "UKPC ticket, Split from hijacked thread" and I asked why when it was on the same subject about the same location and Company.
Fredd
Because it wasn't the same case, was it? We have a "one case, one thread" rule specifically so that the posts about one person's case don't get mixed up with someone else's.
bama
wot Fredd said

splitting it is for your benefit
rattyslane
Thank you for the clarification, I thought that it was one subject because we were both victims of the same Compan at the same location. I will know in future.
rattyslane

My very unclear ticket.
rattyslane
This is the letter I received today from UKPC - any suggestions please?

Click to view attachment
ManxRed
Ignore them, they are talking tripe.

1. They have a duty to mitigate their losses, and yet their 'warden' logged you leaving site, instead of warning you that you would incur a charge if you did (despite the fact that their charge is not representative of their true losses anyway).

2. If they had such a cast iron legal case against you, why are they offering a reduced settlement amount? Surely they ought to take you to court for the full amount. Or maybe they think (actually, make that 'know') they would lose badly.
DBC
And, of course , it's not the PPC who have suffered any "losses". That's just between the motorist and the landowner.
Jlc
Indeed - your attached letter is not fully redacted. (It's got personal details on it)
Lynnzer
I can't see any reference on your letter of them telling you about POPLA.
From what I understand, your ticket was on 15th October so any appeal that's refused by them should allow a POPLA appeal by a BPA member.
Maybe you have something else that informs you of that?

If not, then send a quick email to the DVLA to inform them that this company is operating outside of the code of practice of the BPA in denying, or not giving details of your appeals rights. It may well get them a ban on getting further DLVA assistance for RK details.

Personally, although you can ignore this latest letter from them, I would go for a POPLA appeal anyway then it'll cost them money they won't want to lose.
Even if you don't win, there's still no obligation to pay them anyway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.