Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recieved a NIP
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
matt cross
Received a NIP this morning (38 in a 30) i logged in to the online site to check the picture they had taken, the first thing i noticed was that the time on the pic is different from the time on my NIP, then i clicked on the tab showing the calibration cert which conveniently wasn't there, then i tried the tab showing the site photo's which again wasn't there. am i clutching at straws in thinking that any of these would go towards getting off with the ticket.

Another point to add is that i do not believe the van was visible as i would of seen it as i drove past. Is it possible to try contest this?

Also, does the NIP have to tell you what sort of speed gun they used to catch you? (my NIP doesn't show this)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Jlc
At the moment they are probably just requesting who the driver was at the time of the alleged offence. (Section 172)

Whatever you do, ensure you reply to this in good time as failure to do so is a separate offence with nasty consequences (6 points/£500 fine).

Technically they do not need to supply any evidence at this stage - but many forces do via request or on-line system.

After naming yourself (assuming the NIP you have is 'correct', i.e. time and location) then they will offer a fixed penalty (3 points/£60) or an awareness course offer which avoids the points.

If you want the 'contest' it then you probably have to reject these 'offers' and elect to take it to court. At this point the evidence becomes crucial and there's a fair chance they'll have the calibration certificate and photo's along with your s172 admission.

What's this about a van? If the pictures see dodgy then you can ask them - or you can post them here (redacted) for our view.

The type of detection device is largely irrelevant too as per above.
matt cross
QUOTE (Jlc @ Tue, 4 Sep 2012 - 20:54) *
At the moment they are probably just requesting who the driver was at the time of the alleged offence. (Section 172)

Whatever you do, ensure you reply to this in good time as failure to do so is a separate offence with nasty consequences (6 points/£500 fine).

Technically they do not need to supply any evidence at this stage - but many forces do via request or on-line system.

After naming yourself (assuming the NIP you have is 'correct', i.e. time and location) then they will offer a fixed penalty (3 points/£60) or an awareness course offer which avoids the points.

If you want the 'contest' it then you probably have to reject these 'offers' and elect to take it to court. At this point the evidence becomes crucial and there's a fair chance they'll have the calibration certificate and photo's along with your s172 admission.

What's this about a van? If the pictures see dodgy then you can ask them - or you can post them here (redacted) for our view.

The type of detection device is largely irrelevant too as per above.
Thanks for the reply, i was caught from a mobile speed camera from the back of a van, obviously i didn't see the van otherwise i would of slowed down which leads me to think it was hidden and/or unmarked but i cant prove this unless i have photographic evidence.
BaggieBoy
The van being hidden or unmarked is not a defence.
Jlc
Oh, I see... As BB has noted this makes no difference.
matt cross
QUOTE (BaggieBoy @ Tue, 4 Sep 2012 - 21:32) *
The van being hidden or unmarked is not a defence.

ah right, i was under the impression that they had to be both visible and in a marked vehicle.
Jlc
QUOTE (matt cross @ Tue, 4 Sep 2012 - 21:22) *
I cant prove this unless i have photographic evidence.

Sorry to be picky but 'evidence' isn't a phrase you can use at the moment. The usual ploy is to request photo's to help identify the driver - for the reasons I highlighted above. If the online system isn't working then you should query it with them but this doesn't stop the 28 day s172 clock.
matt cross
QUOTE (Jlc @ Tue, 4 Sep 2012 - 21:37) *
QUOTE (matt cross @ Tue, 4 Sep 2012 - 21:22) *
I cant prove this unless i have photographic evidence.

Sorry to be picky but 'evidence' isn't a phrase you can use at the moment. The usual ploy is to request photo's to help identify the driver - for the reasons I highlighted above. If the online system isn't working then you should query it with them but this doesn't stop the 28 day s172 clock.

i will just send a cover letter when i send my 172 back querying why i cannot see the pics on the online system. suppose i was just clutching at straws anyway, hopefully i will get offered the awareness course. God loves a trier!
Jlc
Hold onto the s172 reply whilst you query... If you return the driver nomination you'll probably find them less 'helpful'! You have 28 days of course... It's probably delaying the inevitable but worth a quick check.
BaggieBoy
QUOTE (matt cross @ Tue, 4 Sep 2012 - 21:34) *
ah right, i was under the impression that they had to be both visible and in a marked vehicle.

There were guidelines to that effect, but they were withdrawn years ago.
Logician
the first thing i noticed was that the time on the pic is different from the time on my NIP

How different?
matt cross
QUOTE (Logician @ Tue, 4 Sep 2012 - 22:02) *
the first thing i noticed was that the time on the pic is different from the time on my NIP

How different?

0.1 second ha! tongue.gif
Jlc
QUOTE (matt cross @ Tue, 4 Sep 2012 - 22:17) *
0.1 second ha! tongue.gif

I think you know the answer about it being dropped due to this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.