NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? -
Date of the offence: -
Date of the NIP: -
Date you received the NIP: -
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): -
Was the NIP addressed to you? -
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? -
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? -
How many current points do you have? -
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons -

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - Yes
Although you are the Registered Keeper, were you also the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - Yes
Were you driving? - Yes
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? - England

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:
  • The law requires you to provide the information requested in the Section 172 notice within the 28 day period, naming yourself as the driver. If you are considering obtaining formal legal advice, do so before returning the notice.

You should note that there is nothing to be gained by responding any earlier than you have to at any stage of the process. You are likely to receive a Conditional Offer of a Fixed Penalty (COFP) and further reminder(s). If you want to continue the fight, you should ignore all correspondence from the police until you receive a summons. You need to understand from the outset that while you will receive much help and support from members on the forums, you will need to put time and effort into fighting your case and ultimately be prepared to stand up in court to defend yourself.

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v3.3.2: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 22:20:36 +0000
Logician
Try again, using the additinal questions button, and indicating what happened and your query.
applesandpears19
Whoops, didn't realise it posted automatically! Haven't got a NIP yet but suspect I may have been over the 70mph limit joining the M23 at the M25 junction. Possibly low 80s mph. Camera was in a van I think on a bridge.

I *think* it's Surrey police force there. Does anyone have any knowledge as to the likelihood of fine/penalty points/SAC?

Many thanks in advance for any replies!

Edit: Additionally, there are just normal lane markings, nothing to do with speed camera lines so I'm not sure how my speed would be worked out accurately in the darkness... I assume it's possible though as otherwise they wouldn't have the vans! Is it some sort of radar system maybe?
Jlc
Laser - no lines required.
applesandpears19
Ah right, fair enough! Anyone any ideas about the likely penalty if it is Surrey police?
The Rookie
Upto 79mph, no action (about 81 on your speedo), upto 95mph a fixed penalty notice of 3pts and £60 fine, for upto 88mph you may be offered an awareness course.
applesandpears19
Thanks very much, The Rookie. I will remain hopeful of a SAC.

I drove along the same stretch of road yesterday and was interested to see that on the section of road I was travelling involved a very large bend to join the motorway and the line of sight to the bridge is right around the corner so I estimate at most 0.2 miles of road that I may have been above the speed limit.

In addition, the corner is littered with streetlights and the crash barrier. Given it was dark as well, does anyone know how this may have affected the speed gun? Or is the laser able to eradicate the interference of the streetlights, crash barrier and the curvature of the road?
The Rookie
The laser beam at 0.2 miles distance will be about 1m across, fine to get a speed reading off most the cars.
Jlc
QUOTE (applesandpears19 @ Thu, 30 Aug 2012 - 11:42) *
In addition, the corner is littered with streetlights and the crash barrier. Given it was dark as well, does anyone know how this may have affected the speed gun? Or is the laser able to eradicate the interference of the streetlights, crash barrier and the curvature of the road?

The streetlights have no effect whatsoever. Either the crash barrier was in the way or not - I suspect not. The curvature of the road is likely to be of benefit (cosine effect).
Logician
The laser is not affected by streetlights, the crash barrier or any cheese you may have had in a shopping bag. The curvature of the road would have worked to reduce slightly the speed measured, so in your favour.
applesandpears19
Thanks for your replies everyone, much appreciated.

I will keep my fingers crossed that the laser was being pointed at the taxi that was in the middle lane rather than me in the outside lane wink.gif And on that point, out of interest, are the lasers able to take multiple readings of several cars or do they rely on getting an accurate reading for one vehicle then the operator pointing at the other?
mrh3369
One at a time but it doesn't take long to get a reading about .3 of a second.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.