Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Am I allowed to Remove/CoverUp my number plate
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
ukdeveloper
Im going on holiday, and whilst away plan to park my car at a relatives house in a borough where I know they use ANPR. I think there may be an outstanding parking ticket at bailiff/anpr stage and as this is the only place I can park my car, I was wondering if I am allowed to remove my number plate if its parked off road on her drive, so the ANPR monkeys cannot "scan" it and clamp it.

Its going to be parked like this (only rear end out) and I plan to either remove the number plate or cover it up. Am I legally allowed to do this? I know they could in theory read the tax disk etc, but I guess they would be more inclined not to than do so.

UKD.
albert2008
dont know if any vehicle parked on private property would be allowed without number plates and tax disk,
others will tell you.

but when I fitted a towbar and undersealed the back end of the truck it was on the drive for a week
without rear numberplate and bumper, the rear was facing the road,

but if you remove them,

remove both plates, tax disc and remember to cover up the VIN number on the dash also,
and if gates fitted to drive, try and keep them closed,

or buy a car cover, and tie it down well,

hope thats not the drive your going to park on,
Gan
A bit extreme if the bailiff has no reason to check the relative's property and the OP's only taking precautions against a random ANPR match

Why not take less drastic measures like shuffling the car so neither plate faces the road (or use a trolley jack), parking the bin in front or even just putting a car cover over it ?
ukdeveloper
QUOTE (albert2008 @ Tue, 21 Aug 2012 - 11:43) *
dont know if any vehicle parked on private property would be allowed without number plates and tax disk,
others will tell you.

but when I fitted a towbar and undersealed the back end of the truck it was on the drive for a week
without rear numberplate and bumper, the rear was facing the road,

but if you remove them,

remove both plates, tax disc and remember to cover up the VIN number on the dash also,
and if gates fitted to drive, try and keep them closed,

or buy a car cover, and tie it down well,

hope thats not the drive your going to park on,

Ha Ha No... nor is it my car.

I was thinking of getting a car cover. Are ANPR vehicle operatives allowed to remove or check vehicles under such a cover "just in case" it might be a vehicle they are looking for?

UKD.
bryan c
QUOTE (ukdeveloper @ Tue, 21 Aug 2012 - 09:25) *
Im going on holiday, and whilst away plan to park my car at a relatives house in a borough where I know they use ANPR. I think there may be an outstanding parking ticket at bailiff/anpr stage and as this is the only place I can park my car, I was wondering if I am allowed to remove my number plate if its parked off road on her drive, so the ANPR monkeys cannot "scan" it and clamp it.

Its going to be parked like this (only rear end out) and I plan to either remove the number plate or cover it up. Am I legally allowed to do this? I know they could in theory read the tax disk etc, but I guess they would be more inclined not to than do so.

UKD.

I don't know the legalities of removing a numberplate on private land but wouldn't it be easier just to buy a car cover? Even the Tax disc would be hidden!
bama
car cover
Bailiff ANPR jockeys just drive around an area looking for pings, I doubt they will stop to lift a cover on the off chance.
especially of its clearly on private land, moreso if its not the demise of the RK
Gan
Agree, and a cover is much less likely to attract the attention of any authorities than a missing number plate
Bruno
QUOTE (Gan @ Tue, 21 Aug 2012 - 14:12) *
Agree, and a cover is much less likely to attract the attention of any authorities than a missing number plate

You should be able to reverse on and park parallel to the house and anyone driving by would not be able to see your plates.
Rallyman72
As long as the car is on private property why not remove them. Mind you it might act the opposite way and draw attention. A cover may be better. Mind you I have a Ka on the drive with no numberplates, no tax and no insurance ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.