Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Case law query - non-fault accident
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
ict_guy
Apologies to the mods if this is in the wrong place!

Can anyone point me in the direction of any case law or evidence of some sort where a non-fault driver has successfully sued a driver at fault (who has admitted 100% liability) for potential increases in future insurance premiums.

Back in July, my son was on his motorcycle, stationary at a roundabout, and was hit from behind by a vehicle. The 3rd party insurance company have admitted 100% liability.

My son has a solicitor who is preparing a report for all insured and un-insured lossess. I have done some dummy online insurance quotes and my son's car insurance premium will likely go up by about £250 at renewal (when declaring this non-fault accident). I have instructed the solicitor to sue for these increased costs on a reducing sliding scale over the next 5 years - estimated at about £750. He is a little reluctant!!!! It would be very helpful to find some examples of where this has been successful in the past????
Logician
Sorry, I cannot help there, but have you asked his existing insurers how they justify loading his premium for a non-fault accident, assuming all his claim is fully met by third party insurers? There is always a differance of course between no blame and no claim.
mrh3369
Statistically those involved in one accident( yes even when it was not their fault) are more likely to be involved in another hence why the premiums rise and also how they justify it.
Logician
QUOTE (mrh3369 @ Sun, 19 Aug 2012 - 17:08) *
Statistically those involved in one accident( yes even when it was not their fault) are more likely to be involved in another hence why the premiums rise and also how they justify it.

Except apparently in the case of Glasgow bhoy in this thread!
Transit man
I have had two non fault accidents this year, both of these were me being rear ended. On both occasion I used an accident claims company who informed my insurance company that an accident had occurred but that no claim was being made on my insurance.

Since then my wifes insurance has been renewed & a new insurer used, with me as a named driver, I informed them of both accidents & they stated that as I had not claimed, they don't want to know & no increases would be made & they weren't.
mrh3369
QUOTE (Logician @ Sun, 19 Aug 2012 - 17:12) *
QUOTE (mrh3369 @ Sun, 19 Aug 2012 - 17:08) *

Except apparently in the case of Glasgow bhoy in this thread!

QUOTE (Transit man @ Sun, 19 Aug 2012 - 17:56) *
I have had two non fault accidents this year, both of these were me being rear ended. On both occasion I used an accident claims company who informed my insurance company that an accident had occurred but that no claim was being made on my insurance.

Since then my wifes insurance has been renewed & a new insurer used, with me as a named driver, I informed them of both accidents & they stated that as I had not claimed, they don't want to know & no increases would be made & they weren't.

It's insurance companies and statistics, god knows how they how they come up with their premiums and how they twist data to suit their purpose, statistics can be twisted to say just about anything you like and 87.76% of Avon ladies know this tongue.gif
ict_guy
Thanks guys for your replies. My son has only just turned 18, which is probably a very important factor. As has been said above, the insurance companies are saying that those who have been involved in an accident (even non-fault) are statistically more prone to be involved again.

Interestingly, his motorcycle insurance will not be loaded (according to dummy online quotes). Car insurance, now that's another matter!
glasgow_bhoy
I thought I would be shafted, and I did ask both my insuerers, the claims handling company appointed by my insurers, and the solicitors appointed by my legal cover if I could claim any future increases. All parties told me no chance and its a fact of life. I asked if after the 5 years I had incurred costs could I sue, and was told no again.

It seems a very difficult pursuit.

That said, as I've said, declaring my non-fault rear-ender seems to be bringing my premium down. I'm 21 so I know age is a bitch for insurance. But £365 Fully Comp (3 window claims this year and a non-fault accident....) is well good on a 1.7CDTi Astra!!
Gan
My daughter had two non-fault accidents of hit while stationary and couldn't get her own cover afterward
Jimzzr
QUOTE (ict_guy @ Sun, 19 Aug 2012 - 19:48) *
Thanks guys for your replies. My son has only just turned 18, which is probably a very important factor. As has been said above, the insurance companies are saying that those who have been involved in an accident (even non-fault) are statistically more prone to be involved again.

Interestingly, his motorcycle insurance will not be loaded (according to dummy online quotes). Car insurance, now that's another matter!

This question was asked on the 5ive-o.org insurance forum some time ago and the replies there (Kris?) from people who's job it is to know was that it most certainly is possible to claim for future premium loadings

Jim
ict_guy
QUOTE (Jimzzr @ Mon, 20 Aug 2012 - 11:45) *
This question was asked on the 5ive-o.org insurance forum some time ago and the replies there (Kris?) from people who's job it is to know was that it most certainly is possible to claim for future premium loadings

Jim

Didn't know about that forum. Thanks, I will investigate further!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.